Stocking My 20 Gal Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by cody11, Jun 23, 2018.

1. c

cody11 Valued Member Member

Hi all,

My question is if I put 2 black skirt tetras,2 white skirts. and 4 glo fish in in the 20 gal tank they should school together shouldn't they? They are all tetras and basically the same size. Am I right? Thanks.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

No, but partially.
    The GloFish and white skirts will school together, they are the same, just colored. Black Skirts are colder water fish, and they probably wouldn’t school with the others.

3. OP
    OP
    c

Maybe the black skirts wont school with the others so should I add 1or 2 more black skirts . Also if I do that should I cut down to 2 white skirts and 2 glo. because I think a 20 gal tankcan only take 8 fish of this size. Right?

4. Syntax Creations

Syntax Creations New Member Member

IIRC, all color variations of the Skirt/Widow tetras were the same spp (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi).
    None the less, mine school all the time in my 30, I've got 2x Black, 2x White and 3x Glo.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I would only do eight skirts if you plan on other fish.

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Is this a 20 lon or a 20 high?

7. OP
    OP
    c

20 long.

Thanks for your answer. When you started to stalk your tank how many did you put in at a time and how long did you wait to add more?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2018
  8. Syntax Creations

They were the first, I picked up the Glo and Whites first and about 3 weeks later I decided to add the two Blacks more on a whim than anything. They were the last two in the tank which also has 3 Platies and 4 Cherry Barbs.

9. OP
    OP
    c

So glad you wrote back. So in a 20 gal I should be able to put 2 blacks 2whites and 4 glos. That makes 8 fish is that ok?

10. Syntax Creations

20L right? Depending on filtration and wc scheduling, tentatively I don't see where there would be any issues..

11. OP
    OP
    c

Yes 20 long. Has filter, bubbler and I do water changes every week, If I put 4 in first and then in a week add the other 4 sound ok?

12. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Is the tank cycled?

13. OP
    OP
    c

Yes.

14. Syntax Creations

The tank itself is fine, all that remains is adequate filtration and tank maintenance. As long as you keep up with that you shouldn't have problems (don't quote me on this, as problems have a nasty habit of showing up when everything is fine.)

15. OP
    OP
    c

Funny you should bring that up. I just got over loosing a tank full of fish from ick. They all died. I have had fish for years and never had that problem. I think I put too many in at once and they couldn't handle it. This is why I am going to take time adding the fish.

16. OP
    OP
    c

Hi all.

Just realized my 20 gal tank is high. So I wanted to put black skirt, white skirt and glos. Should I put 6 or 8 in tank? Thanks

17. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged so all the information in one place

18. OP
    OP
    c

This has nothing to do with my previous question. Now people wont answer this. When I previously asked about stocking this I thought it was a 20 long but its not. So question is different.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2018
  19. Syntax Creations

Speaking from dimensions, since I don't know how adequate the filtration is... As a species only tank I would do 8 or 9, as a multi tank I would most likely reduce to 5.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice