Stocking My 15 Gallon Aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by AnonymousCatfish, Jul 3, 2016.

1. AnonymousCatfish

AnonymousCatfishValued MemberMember

Hello! I am new here and was just wanting some help on stocking my 2 foot tank. This tank is already established, had it almost 10 months, but am re-scaping (is that what you call it?) my tank. Recently my tank had a serious white spot issue and since my tank was home to 3 riffle shrimp I was unable to treat. 90% of my fish died so I moved my shrimp out and am treating the water. One of my beloved shrimp died in the process:(. My tank so far has:
    - 3 smallish BN catfish
    - 4 exclamation point rasboras
    - 2 neons
    - 2 shrimp

I was really wanting a DG or just a normal gourami. My tank is 15 gallons (about) and has a 31.7 gallon filter.
    Thanks
    AnonymousCatfish

Here is a photo of my current tank (have not done the renovations yet :))
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. Charles556

Charles556Valued MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore. Sorry to hear about your fish dieoff; I hate ich with a burning passion!

As for your current stocking, I'd recommend bumping up your least rasb school to at least 6, since they are schooling fish. In fact, since they are so small, you could do even more, provided that you rehome the 2 neons. Neons prefer more swimming space anyway, and in a 2 ft tank, they'll feel a little cramped.

A 15 gal tank does somewhat limit your options for gouramis. That being said, your preference for a DG does actually fit with your tank size. 1 male DG, which will probably be a powder blue judging by your profile pic, should get along fine with your other fish. Another option is the Honey Gourami, another peaceful anabantoid that has the advantage of not being susceptible to Dwarf Gourami iridovirus.

3. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

Tank you alot! I had a school of about 10 neons which my LFS said was fine but recently realised that is WAY too many. They died from ICH aswell :(. I plan to re-home the remaining soon after they are fully treated :)
    So I could do:
    - 3 BN
    - 6 + rasboras
    - 1 DG
    - 2 riffle shrimp

Is that okay? And could I add another couple of shrimp aswell or is that too much?

4. Charles556

Forgot about the BN ancistrus. Unfortunately, all 3 will have to go, too :(

They grow to about 6 inches long, therefore requiring a larger aquarium than a 15 gal.

Alternatively, you could look into getting a clown pleco. They're shy, nocturnal fish that primarily eat wood, but at least they don't over 4 inches.

Riffle shrimp, while having a lower bioload compared to most fish, are filter feeders. I'd mostly be worried about them having enough to eat. How do you typically feed them? If you notice them crawling around on the substrate a lot, instead of standing near a current with their fans out, that's typically a sign that they're starving.

5. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

How long can they stay??? My LFSsaid that it would be fine...My LFS also doesn't have clown plecos... only common!
    With my shrimp I occasionally feed them zucchini but mostly algae substitutes.

With the profile picture I wanted a red/neon blue gourami but it was not on the list so I put that one XD.

6. Charles556

Do you mean LFS? i've never heard of a local fish chain before :)

Unfortunately, a lot of stores, even independently-owned ones, will provide misinformation in order to increase sales. The usual 48-hour return policy helps protect them if things go sour for the customer. I'm not much of an expert in BN ancistrus, so I can't comment on how quickly they'll grow. The general rule of thumb is to rehome as soon as possible to resolve the problem before it gets out of hand.

Are we talking about the same riffle shrimp here? This is the invert I'm talking about:

Lol, a red/neon blue gourami? The blue gourami, Trichopodus trichopterus, does not come in red yet, to my knowledge :p

7. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

This is my shrimp 'photo bombing' my photo!:
    [​IMG]

And I meant this red DG:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  8. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

Oh make my tank stocking...

1 neon
    3 rasboras
    2 BNC
    1 shrimp

Wow I lost sooo many :(

9. PeacefantasyWell Known MemberMember

Are you usong the heat method to treat the ich, or something the lfs suggested you buy..?

10. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

I put in copper and moved my shrimp out. Placed carbon to remove copper and now I am heating the tank to high temperatures.

Just a question of stocking my aquarium --- Could I keep a school of oto's in there and how many if yes?

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What will the final stock be?

12. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

3 BN
    1 shrimp
    1 neon
    3 rasboras

13. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What are the dimensions of the tank? The 3 BN should definitely be rehomed, and depending on the footprint of the tank, the rasboras and the neons may not work (as they need to be in groups of 6+ each).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice