stocking lore

topperHarley

Reaction score
I have an 18 gallon and I am adding a 29 gallon this week. I have read a lot about stocking limits and such. I believe I am overstocked on the 18 and will be moving some things to the 29. First, this is what I have in the 18: 7 Rasboras, 4 Neons, 2 Plattys, 1 Cory cat, and 1 small/mid size angel. What I do not understand is why my tank is running so well since it cycled over two months ago. I have zero ammonia and nitrites and my nitrates are very manageable. Keep in mind I am running a Penguin Bio-Wheel 200 (Up to 50 gallons). My theory is that oversized filters can greatly increase your capacity. And no, the current seems very reasonable to me and the fish seem pretty mellow and not stressed. Regradless, the Angel is going into the 29, but I am seriously thinking that this tank is very stable with numbers of fish that should suggest otherwise. According to many I am over my limit by 2 just counting the rasboras and neons. I also think it is a little silly to count neons and rasboras as 2" fish. I have not seen many at all over 1.5". JMO  What do you guys think?

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In my Personal Opinion the 18gal tank is too small for the angel fish. They will be ok in it but will thrive in a larger tank. Are you getting the 29gal as a gift or used? Or are you just getting a larger tank because you want one? If it is possible I would consider getting at least a 35-50 gal tank only because I have found it to be a good Idea in most cases to get a tank 1-2 sizes larger then you were thinking of getting. You allready have an 18gal and a 29 gal sounds larger but in truth it is not mush bigger. If all you want is a 29gal that is fine, and as for the fish that you have I would move the Angel and maybe the Cory cat and leave the rest in the 18gal tank and that should be just fine.

topperHarley

Reaction score
I am getting a larger tank because I am hooked on the hobby and want to keep my angel. Unfortunately, a 55 will not fit in the one place I can add a tank in my house. I got the 29 at Walmart for $88 bucks because the foot print of the tank is perfect for a nice stand I have that also fits perfect in my available corner in my house. I can drive 3 hours and get a 36 gallon bow front that fits on the stand I already have because it has the same footprint. Is 7 gallons more and a curved front worth the drive and extra money? Trust me, I wish I could get a 150 gallon but wife would kill me. LOL

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am not much of a bow front fan but it is up to you. I was just making the sugestion because I have been in your shoes, and now have 7 tanks because i got just one size bigger then I had and then 2 months later got another tank because it was allready too small. The 7 extra gallons is worth a little more money, but like i said haveing a bow front is up to you and what you think looks nice.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
topperHarley said:
I have an 18 gallon and I am adding a 29 gallon this week. I have read a lot about stocking limits and such. I believe I am overstocked on the 18 and will be moving some things to the 29. First, this is what I have in the 18: 7 Rasboras, 4 Neons, 2 Plattys, 1 Cory cat, and 1 small/mid size angel. What I do not understand is why my tank is running so well since it cycled over two months ago. I have zero ammonia and nitrites and my nitrates are very manageable. Keep in mind I am running a Penguin Bio-Wheel 200 (Up to 50 gallons). My theory is that oversized filters can greatly increase your capacity. And no, the current seems very reasonable to me and the fish seem pretty mellow and not stressed. Regradless, the Angel is going into the 29, but I am seriously thinking that this tank is very stable with numbers of fish that should suggest otherwise. According to many I am over my limit by 2 just counting the rasboras and neons. I also think it is a little silly to count neons and rasboras as 2" fish. I have not seen many at all over 1.5". JMO  What do you guys think?
Your 18 gallon tank is a bit overstocked, but with good filtration (which you have) it can be manageable. If you took the angel out to the 29 gallon tank, then the 18 gallon tank would be perfect as it is now (less the angel, as mentioned just a second ago). There is no such thing as "overfiltration", so you can have a larger filter than you'd normally need in your tank. Overfiltration is never bad ... unless it creates some extreme water movement in which fish can barely swim, lol. As long as you don't have a "whirlpool" in your tank, you should be OK As for the angel, it will be much happier in a 29 gallon tank. An 18 gallon tank is indeed too small for angelfish.

P.S. I count my neons as 1" fish, not 2" or even 1.5" fish. See ... there is a large difference between fish like neons, and - say - angelfish. One adult and large angelfish will probably produce more wastes than (or the same as) 6-10 tiny neons.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom