Stocking List For 5 Gallon Nano Aquariums - Page 3

Little Tank of Happiness

Same only 23 mm killi.

ashenwelt

So I seen a post earlier about a Mystery Snail in a 5 gallon. I know I wouldn't do it, partly because if it dies it could kill everything due to how much waste if not noticed. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Anders247

Little Tank of Happiness said:
Same only 23 mm killi.
The 23 mm one is a goby, not a killi. I'd say any killifish under 1.5 inches is OK in a 5g.

ashenwelt

Anders247 said:
The 23 mm one is a goby, not a killi. I'd say any killifish under 1.5 inches is OK in a 5g.
Standard length or with tail? I mean toward standard length when it comes to killi.

Anders247

ashenwelt said:
Standard length or with tail? I mean toward standard length when it comes to killi.
Standard. Tails shouldn't matter, imo.

ashenwelt

Anders247 said:
Standard. Tails shouldn't matter, imo.
So proposed phrasing is:

Killifish (any with an adult standard length of 1.5 inches / 38.1 mm or smaller (standard length does not include tail)

How is that team?

Anders247

Yes, I would say that is accurate for the most part. There may be some exceptions if the type of killifish is a more active or aggressive one, but most aren't.

ashenwelt

Anders247 said:
Yes, I would say that is accurate for the most part. There may be some exceptions if the type of killifish is a more active or aggressive one, but most aren't.
Same type of argument for the excessively passive ones. KillI are complicated lol.

Little Tank of Happiness

Ah ok! I am learning a lot through this too!

ashenwelt

Looking for the teams approval... this would be the new first page. Any additional warnings we should put in?

-----------------------

So a question that comes up a lot is what can go into a five gallon aquarium. This expects heat and filtration and good water. We have made a list based on what people have been successful with. As such, can you help me expand this list? Please only add if YOU have done it. Here is our list.

What can go in a five? Many, many options. Many of which will start arguments. This is a list that people have been successful with. It’s not a guarantee but it is a place to start.

Fish:
  • Live Bearers
    • Endlers (males preferably, add a female and you had best e selling a lot of babies all the time)
    • Guppy
    • Fancy Guppy
    • Dwarf Mosquitofish / Least Killifish / Heterandria formosay
  • Carp Like Fish
    • Betta (preferably long fin varieties)
    • Licorice Gourami
    • Scarlet Badis
  • Tetras / Danios / Rasboras or Similar Family
    • Green Neon Tetra (not really green; debated)
    • Ember Tetras (debated)
    • Celestial Pearl Danios
    • Danionella Dracula
    • ChilI rasboras
    • Boraras naevus
    • Neon blue rasbora / Sundadanio axelrodi
    • Dwarf Rasbora / Boraras maculatus
    • Mosquito Rasbora / Boraras brigittae
  • Killifish Family
    • Bluefin Nothobranch Killifish / Nothobranchius rachovii
    • Pygmy Killifish / Leptolucania ommata
    • Killifish (any with an adult standard length of 1.5 inches / 38.1 mm or smaller; standard length does not include tail length)
  • Puffers Family
  • Catfish Family
    • Asian Stone Catfish
  • Gobbies Family
    • Stiphodon birdsong
  • Cichlids
    • Lamprologus Ocellatus; (use caution and watch for aggression)
    • Neolamprologus multifasciatus/similis; (use caution and watch for aggression)
    • Apistogramma wapisana; (use caution and watch for aggression)
    • Apistogramma borellii; (use caution and watch for aggression)
  • Oddities
    • Pygmy Sunfish / Elassoma sp.
Invertebrates:
Amphibians:
  • African Dwarf Frogs (please remember these are social and should be 2 in 5 gallons; some research shows that it does best in species only aquariums)
And nearly everyone one of them can and will start an ethics argument. Remember there are additional concerns when doing this such as: water temp., water type, water quality, plant levels, ground cover/substrate, etc. One of the most important things to remember is that water is inherently less stable in smaller quantities. Additionally, many fish here do require what is referred to as old water. So think an aquarium that has been up for a few months at least.

Contributors from many places but here at Fishlore.com includes:

Anders247
BottomDweller
Bruxes and Bubbles
Little Tank of Happiness
Catfish12345
Kaleb Rinehart
Coradee
CROWNTAILBETTA
fishandle
scarface
MrBryan723
ashenwelt

Thank you all for the contributions!

- List Curated by ashenwelt

Little Tank of Happiness

I like it

ashenwelt

Anders247

Oh, well imo I wouldn't do them. I thought I said that earlier in the thread.

ashenwelt

Anders247 said:
All good. I just remembered the embers.

itsayes

Thank you for creating this list. I'm setting up a new 5 gallon planted and was lost on what to stock with besides a betta. Was leaning towards a dwarf puffer but have heard they are sensitive and challenging...Also have only seen them once in my lfs.

Kaleb Rinehart

Awesome!

ashenwelt

Anders247 said:
Hmm. An idea. On the the debated how about adding this ...

(Debates; recommend Five Long such as Spec V or Half Ten, not recommended for portrait or hex aquariums)

Thoughts?

itsayes said:
Thank you for creating this list. I'm setting up a new 5 gallon planted and was lost on what to stock with besides a betta. Was leaning towards a dwarf puffer but have heard they are sensitive and challenging...Also have only seen them once in my lfs.
Hope it helps! We want you fish to thrive and you to grow in the hobby of nano aquaria.

Anders247

ashenwelt said:
Hmm. An idea. On the the debated how about adding this ...

(Debates; recommend Five Long such as Spec V or Half Ten, not recommended for portrait or hex aquariums)

Thoughts?
Yes.

ashenwelt

Looking for the teams approval... this would be the new first page. Any additional warnings we should put in?

-----------------------

So a question that comes up a lot is what can go into a five gallon aquarium. This expects heat and filtration and good water. We have made a list based on what people have been successful with. As such, can you help me expand this list? Please only add if YOU have done it. Here is our list.

What can go in a five? Many, many options. Many of which will start arguments. This is a list that people have been successful with. It’s not a guarantee but it is a place to start.

Fish:
  • Live Bearers
    • Endlers (males preferably, add a female and you had best e selling a lot of babies all the time)
    • Guppy
    • Fancy Guppy
  • Carp Like Fish
    • Licorice Gourami
    • Scarlet Badis
    • Green Neon Tetra (not really green; Debated; recommend Five Long such as Spec V or Half Ten, not recommended for portrait or hex aquariums)
    • Ember Tetras (Debated; recommend Five Long such as Spec V or Half Ten, not recommended for portrait or hex aquariums)
    • Celestial Pearl Danios
    • Danionella Dracula
    • ChilI rasboras
    • Boraras naevus
  • Killifish Family
    • Killifish (any with an adult standard length of 1.5 inches / 38.1 mm or smaller; standard length does not include tail length)
  • Puffers Family
    • Dwarf Puffer
  • Catfish Family
    • Asian Stone Catfish
  • Gobbies Family
    • Stiphodon birdsong
  • Cichlids
    • Lamprologus Ocellatus; (use caution and watch for aggression; recommend Five Long such as Spec V or Half Ten, not recommended for portrait or hex aquariums)
    • Neolamprologus multifasciatus/similis; (use caution and watch for aggression; recommend Five Long such as Spec V or Half Ten, not recommended for portrait or hex aquariums)
    • Apistogramma wapisana; (use caution and watch for aggression)
    • Apistogramma borellii; (use caution and watch for aggression)
  • Oddities
Invertebrates:
Amphibians:
  • African Dwarf Frogs (please remember these are social and should be 2 in 5 gallons; some research shows that it does best in species only aquariums)
And nearly everyone one of them can and will start an ethics argument. Remember there are additional concerns when doing this such as: water temp., water type, water quality, plant levels, ground cover/substrate, etc. One of the most important things to remember is that water is inherently less stable in smaller quantities. Additionally, many fish here do require what is referred to as old water. So think an aquarium that has been up for a few months at least.

Anders247
BottomDweller
Bruxes and Bubbles
Little Tank of Happiness
Catfish12345
Kaleb Rinehart
Coradee
CROWNTAILBETTA
fishandle
scarface
MrBryan723
ashenwelt

Anders247

Please, please, please, completely get rid of all those cichlids on the list, especially the apistos....

ashenwelt

Anders247 said:
Please, please, please, completely get rid of all those cichlids on the list, especially the apistos....
The shellies I know have been successful, same with the two Apistos.

The thing on the shellies is they complenty ignore the upper half of the tank. A standard tank is a complete waste for them.

The other two are kept there in smaller environments as well. Less often and pair for breeding or better yet individual if long term.

Would you like the Apistos listed Debated / Advanced? I don't think the shellies actually fall in the same category. Thoughts?

Anders247

You have kept them in a 5?

ashenwelt

Anders247 said:
You have kept them in a 5?
I haven't but spoken to several who have. Mainly the shellies. But breeding the Apistos in 5 gallon seems common from my conversations... Kind of a dirty little secret.

@Ander247 if you really want the Apistos off I can pull em... But am conflicted. The Shellies though would be a question on why with the qualifier?

From the list I am considering for my next tank... Not all at the same time.

Apistogramma BorrellI (currently under debate; pair located)
Licorice GouramI (5 ph is gonna be a pain but doable)
Scarlet Badis (already found females!)
Celestial Pearl Danio (easiest by far)

With an aI'm at breeding in a planted tank. Not factory style breeding but natural.

So this list is very important to me lol. So team... Thoughts? And thoughts on the Apistos?

Should probably add sulawesI cardinals to the list.

TexasDomer

Have you kept Danionella, or even seen them? Yes, they're tiny, but very active, and the priority should be towards their breeding. A 5 gal is too small for them; a 10 gal would be the minimum in my opinion.

I'd take off some of the others as well. They're too active.

BottomDweller

ashenwelt said:
So I seen a post earlier about a Mystery Snail in a 5 gallon. I know I wouldn't do it, partly because if it dies it could kill everything due to how much waste if not noticed. What is everyone else's thoughts?
Nobody seemed to answer this, I think a mystery snail would be fine as long as it definitely wasn't an apple snail

TexasDomer

BottomDweller said:
Nobody seemed to answer this, I think a mystery snail would be fine as long as it definitely wasn't an apple snail
I agree, should be fine, but this would be the smallest. I had a friend keep a mystery in a 2.5 gal and it never grew to full size.

BottomDweller

TexasDomer said:
Have you kept Danionella, or even seen them? Yes, they're tiny, but very active, and the priority should be towards their breeding. A 5 gal is too small for them; a 10 gal would be the minimum in my opinion.

I completely agree, if you're going to keep them you really should be trying to breed them

ashenwelt

TexasDomer said:

All of the rexommendations I have found are predominantly 5 gallon or 3 gallon. I do believe several fish on the list people should focus on breeding as well... We need to get away from wild caught.

TexasDomer

ashenwelt said:
All of the rexommendations I have found are predominantly 5 gallon or 3 gallon. I do believe several fish on the list people should focus on breeding as well... We need to get away from wild caught.
Where did you find these recommendations?

ashenwelt

TexasDomer said:
Where did you find these recommendations?
Every location I could find any recommendations on tank size after over an hour of searching, outside of seriously fish. I have only found one recommendation to a larger tank and it was seriously fish that ... is a bit conservative.

TexasDomer

A lot of sites aren't reliable, and their recommendation of 3 or 5 gal tanks isn't accurate. And conservative is a very good way to go when it comes to keeping aquariums.

ashenwelt

TexasDomer said:
A lot of sites aren't reliable, and their recommendation of 3 or 5 gal tanks isn't accurate. And conservative is a very good way to go when it comes to keeping aquariums.
Based on serously fish you couldn't literally do a 5 gallon tank... which is possible.

Hello all,

So, the purpose of this list was to build a best chance of success for nano aquarium enthusiasts to have some sense of ethics as well. Remember the world is becoming more and more urban. And many people are literally limited to 5 gallons or 19-20 liters; often by contract. Some more, some less. This is a list for those people.

Some fish that have been the mainstay of nano aquaria for quite a while are listed as debated, such as Embers and Green Neons. More will probably end up there.

One thing to note is that this list has not gotten to the recommendations on what you should be doing with these nano tanks or much in the way they should be setup. In many cases focusing on breeding should be a serious concern and mentioned. There are many fish out there that have been disappearing. If you can breed some of these nano fish, then maybe people can sell via clubs or LFS and impact the wild fish trade.

The second thing to note is I would honestly like to see some recommendations for more fish on tank style for some of these fish. That’s why several of the fish are being listed in the above list with long 5s, or Half Tens (got to be the coolest tank I have seen). And frankly, I don’t like portrait tanks in fives when you can possibly go for something else unless there is a reason.

JRS

I like this post you are working on, I do see that you guys are asked this all the time. I was wondering, are you going to add how many of the species you can put in the tank (assuming a person is only going to have one species) or some way to know what combinations might work. I know this may be daunting, just looking at this from a newbie perspective. My first thought is how many can I put in?

ashenwelt

JRS said:
I like this post you are working on, I do see that you guys are asked this all the time. I was wondering, are you going to add how many of the species you can put in the tank (assuming a person is only going to have one species) or some way to know what combinations might work. I know this may be daunting, just looking at this from a newbie perspective. My first thought is how many can I put in?
That absolutely needs to be in the next phase. Our goal is to help people be successful.

Anders247

ashenwelt said:
Mainly the shellies. But breeding the Apistos in 5 gallon seems common from my conversations... Kind of a dirty little secret.
Well, yeah. I have heard of people using the 5 as a breeding tank for apistos, but that's just for breeding. Definitely not a permanent home, imo.

ashenwelt

Anders247 said:
Well, yeah. I have heard of people using the 5 as a breeding tank for apistos, but that's just for breeding. Definitely not a permanent home, imo.
I will pull from the Apistos. You know my opinion, but no other input...

-----------------------

Fish:
  • Live Bearers
    • Guppy
    • Fancy Guppy
  • Carp Like Fish
    • Licorice GouramI (Recommend to focus on breeding)
    • Scarlet Badis
    • Green Neon Tetra (not really green; Debated; recommend Five Long such as Spec V or Half Ten, not recommended for portrait or hex aquariums)
    • Ember Tetras (Debated; recommend Five Long such as Spec V or Half Ten, not recommended for portrait or hex aquariums)
    • Celestial Pearl Danios
    • Danionella Dracula (Debated; recommend to focus on breeding)
    • ChilI rasboras
    • Boraras naevus
  • Killifish Family
  • Puffers Family
    • Dwarf Puffer
  • Catfish Family
    • Asian Stone Catfish
  • Gobbies Family
    • Stiphodon birdsong
  • Cichlids
    • Lamprologus Ocellatus; (use caution and watch for aggression; recommend Five Long such as Spec V or Half Ten, not recommended for portrait or hex aquariums)
    • Neolamprologus multifasciatus/similis; (use caution and watch for aggression; recommend Five Long such as Spec V or Half Ten, not recommended for portrait or hex aquariums
  • Oddities
Invertebrates:
  • Cherry Shrimp (all varieties)
  • Crystal Shrimp (all varieties)
  • Neocaridina zhangjiajiensis / Snowball Shrimp
  • Ghost Shrimp
  • Amano Shrimp
  • ThaI Micro Spider Crabs / Limnopilos naiyanetri
  • SpikI Snail
  • Pond Snail (beware)
  • Nerite Snail
  • Assassin Snail
  • Dwarf Mexican Crayfish
Amphibians:

Anders247
BottomDweller
Bruxes and Bubbles
Little Tank of Happiness
Catfish12345
Kaleb Rinehart
Coradee
CROWNTAILBETTA
fishandle
scarface
MrBryan723
ashenwelt

TexasDomer said:

Apistos pulled, Danionella Dracula updated with (Debated; recommend to focus on breeding). Licorice GouramI is also noted with (Recommend to focus on breeding).

On the Danionella Dracula TexasDomer would you recommend a 5 long or a half ten as preferred minimum for them?

TexasDomer

ashenwelt said:
Based on serously fish you couldn't literally do a 5 gallon tank... which is possible.
I don't know what you're saying here. It's possible to keep an oscar in a 5 gal. Doesn't mean it's right.

Yes, Danionella is tiny, but they're active. A 5 gal isn't big enough for the large schools they should be kept in. I would recommend a 20" tank.

ashenwelt

TexasDomer said:
I don't know what you're saying here. It's possible to keep an oscar in a 5 gal. Doesn't mean it's right.

Yes, Danionella is tiny, but they're active. A 5 gal isn't big enough for the large schools they should be kept in. I would recommend a 20" tank.
A half ten is a 20 inch tank for example.

TexasDomer

I've never heard of a half ten. However, a 20" tank that's only 6" wide and 6" tall isn't suitable. Really, a 10 gal should be the minimum.

ashenwelt

TexasDomer said:
I've never heard of a half ten. However, a 20" tank that's only 6" wide and 6" tall isn't suitable. Really, a 10 gal should be the minimum.
A half ten is shorter but the same floor as a ten. Half height tanks are a comon style with shellies.

Either way, what fish are you declaring you debate?

TexasDomer

Danionellas, guppies, licorice gourami, embers. All should be in a 10 gal, in my opinion. Short tanks aren't great for many fish.

goldface

JRS said:
That's the problem. What I think is fine and truly doable, many here will will disagree with. I repsect many people's opinions here, but you can't compare putting an oscar in a 5 gallon with that of "nano fish". The comparson is unfair, IMO. I have heard danionellas being prolific breeders, so putting them in a 5 gallon may not be the best option. I know someone with personal experience with them saying that a 3gal is fine. It's all just opinion.

TexasDomer

Danionellas are not prolific breeders; in fact, they're kinda hard to breed. And the person who described one of the species in that genus thought that a 10 gal is the minimum they should be kept in; I know because I've talked to him.

ashenwelt

TexasDomer said:
Danionellas are not prolific breeders; in fact, they're kinda hard to breed. And the person who described one of the species in that genus thought that a 10 gal is the minimum they should be kept in; I know because I've talked to him.
The big point I think you need to focus on is we are talking nano fish. Please keep references to Oscars in a five out of the discussion.

Lets keep this a polite discussion.

And when we disagree I have no issue with editing to debated.

I am kind of weirded out on the licorice gouramI though being on your list.

AWheeler

A Betta, I don't see one on the list, haven't read the whole thing yet though .....Actually just read it again oops, I didn't realize they were carp like fish though!

ashenwelt

APierce said:
A Betta, I don't see one on the list, haven't read the whole thing yet though .....Actually just read it again oops, I didn't realize they were carp like fish though!
Technically more are carp like but they get wrapped up in other groups in peoples heads.

Any one else have comments on:

Danionellas
guppies
licorice gourami
ember tetras

Please share.

AWheeler

I don't know that I'd do more than a single male guppy in a 5 gallon tank, they might fight/fin nip, etc.

ashenwelt

APierce said:
I don't know that I'd do more than a single male guppy in a 5 gallon tank, they might fight/fin nip, etc.
Honestly, they are more likely to search the tank from... Well everywhere.

But type of guppies can also have an impact. Natural guppies and fancy are seriously different.

Then again one could be a centerpiece in a five.

AWheeler

I had 2 male guppies in my 60 gal at one point that just decided to chase each other around the tank and fight, I had never seen anything like it before! They were both fancy guppies one red and one red/gold and black.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom