Stocking List For 5 Gallon Nano Aquariums - Page 2

Kaleb Rinehart

I agree with BottomDweller, think it's awesome your making this, this will be extremely helpful for people just starting out with Nano tanks.

ashenwelt

Hello team!

I have updated the list. This is a continued discussion, please ask anyone who should come and have information to come here.

Here are some more fish and invertebrates to consider. Please give feedback.

Special attention to our contributors here:

Anders247
BottomDweller
Bruxes and Bubbles
Little Tank of Happiness
Catfish12345
Kaleb Rinehart
Coradee

I wanted to thank our contributors so far! Please join us on this!

Fish:
  • Microdevario kubotai
  • Neon blue rasbora / Sundadanio axelrodi
  • Boraras naevus
  • Bluefin Nothobranch Killifish / Nothobranchius rachovii
  • Eastern Mosquitofish / Gambusia holbrooki
Invertabrates:
Thanks team!

Anders247

IMO, dwarf frogs are fine in a 5g. The rule is one every 2.5 gallons.

Of the fish listed above:
Kubotai, no, for the reasons Coradee states.
Maybe on the S. axelrodi
Boraras naevus should be OK.
Yes to the killifish.
No to the gambusia....

Yes to the snowball shrimp.

Little Tank of Happiness

Agreed with Anders I think dwarf frogs are fine. Make sure to get 2 because they are social.

ashenwelt

FishandFun said:
I would do a betta with cherry and ghost shrimp.
Those are on the list. This is am attempt to crowd source knowledge to build a list of which of our aquatic friends can happily survive in a 5 gallon aquarium.

Do you have any others you would like to add? We are looking for input.

Btw, I have a Betta with Endlers, Cherries and Ammano shrimp.

goldface

ashenwelt said:
Why not on the Embers? They honestly are probably the top schooling fish in a 5. The rest are like I said in the post... Debated. But normally Embers aren't.
Well, from actual experience and success owning embers, a 5 gallon will definitely work. I'd say 7-9 is a good number.

ashenwelt

scarface said:
Well, from actual experience and success owning embers, a 5 gallon will definitely work. I'd say 7-9 is a good number.
Yep. Would you like to nominate any others? Current nomminies are:

• Microdevario kubotai
  • Boraras naevus
  • Bluefin Nothobranch Killifish / Nothobranchius rrachovii

MrBryan723

ashenwelt said:
Hello team!

I have updated the list. This is a continued discussion, please ask anyone who should come and have information to come here.

Anders247
BottomDweller
Bruxes and Bubbles
Little Tank of Happiness
Catfish12345
Kaleb Rinehart
Coradee

I wanted to thank our contributors so far! Please join us on this!

Fish:
  • Microdevario kubotai
  • Boraras naevus
  • Bluefin Nothobranch Killifish / Nothobranchius rachovii
  • Eastern Mosquitofish / Gambusia holbrooki
Invertabrates:
Thanks team!
What about dwarf crayfish? Like 1 or 2 if well planted and alone.

ashenwelt

goldface

ashenwelt said:
Yep. Would you like to nominate any others? Current nomminies are:

• Microdevario kubotai
  • Boraras naevus
  • Bluefin Nothobranch Killifish / Nothobranchius rrachovii
Don't have any experience with them, so I won't say. Anders mentioned chilI rasboras and I think those are good options, although I never owned them, I have seen them in person and am basing this on real life observation alone.

ashenwelt

scarface said:
Don't have any experience with them, so I won't say. Anders mentioned chilI rasboras and I think those are good options, although I never owned them, I have seen them in person and am basing this on real life observation alone.
Those are on the list. I update the first post of this thread with the current findings as we go on.

Any you would like to add?

fishandle

Danionella Dracula

ashenwelt

fishandle said:
Danionella Dracula
Wow! That is a super cool fish!

fishandle

ashenwelt said:
Wow! That is a super cool fish!
Not sure how rare you wanted to go. That fish may be pretty hard to find in the hobby.

ashenwelt

fishandle said:
Not sure how rare you wanted to go. That fish may be pretty hard to find in the hobby.
It looks like they are available online. Rare but not non-existent is fine. This actually would not be the rarest fish on the list.

Do you raise these?

Coradee

If you're making a list to recommend Fish suitable for that tank size then I suggest only including ones that people can get relatively easily, no point having a list of fish people have no chance of getting for their tanks imo.

BottomDweller

Coradee said:
If you're making a list to recommend Fish suitable for that tank size then I suggest only including ones that people can get relatively easily, no point having a list of fish people have no chance of getting for their tanks imo.
I agree however the list for a 10 gallon tank has many very rare types of fish and I don't see how it could hurt to include some less common types

fishandle

ashenwelt said:
It looks like they are available online. Rare but not non-existent is fine. This actually would not be the rarest fish on the list.

Do you raise these?
I don't raise them, but I remembered reading about them and thought ah ha! That's cool that they are available. Have to agree with Coradee, doesn't need to be included if they are impossible to get. You could separate the rare into a second list.

ashenwelt

fishandle said:
I don't raise them, but I remembered reading about them and thought ah ha! That's cool that they are available. Have to agree with Coradee, doesn't need to be included if they are impossible to get. You could separate the rare into a second list.
I pinged Bobs to see if they still got them. They are listed on their site.

CROWNTAILBETTA

I would just like to add that I would only keep long finned bettas in a tank under 10g, so that means no plakats or wilds. Just my opinion.

BottomDweller

CROWNTAILBETTA said:
I would just like to add that I would only keep long finned bettas in a tank under 10g, so that means no plakats or wilds. Just my opinion.
Me too, probably no females either. Too active

ashenwelt

Hello team!

Current fish that are nominated:
  • Apistogramma trifasciata (single male or female ONLY)
Any other fish? Any Gobies by chance?

CROWNTAILBETTA

ashenwelt said:
Any Gobies by chance?
You will probably have to look this one up but I have heard of people keeping peacock gudgeons (gobies) in small tanks. I'm not sure if they would work in a 5 gallon though.

Little Tank of Happiness

CROWNTAILBETTA said:
You will probably have to look this one up but I have heard of people keeping peacock gudgeons (gobies) in small tanks. I'm not sure if they would work in a 5 gallon though.
says you can keep a couple of adult pairs in 40 liters (10 gal) so I don't see why not you could have 1 adult pair in 20 liters.

Kaleb Rinehart

What about least killifish? They are a NA native livebearer, they stay small.

ashenwelt

Little Tank of Happiness said:
says you can keep a couple of adult pairs in 40 liters (10 gal) so I don't see why not you could have 1 adult pair in 20 liters.
That would make sense. Any discussion?

Kaleb Rinehart said:
What about least killifish? They are a NA native livebearer, they stay small.
We... Missed that one? Lol

Kaleb Rinehart

ashenwelt said:
We... Missed that one? Lol
I know, I completely forgot about these little guys!

ashenwelt

Kaleb Rinehart said:
I know, I completely forgot about these little guys!
Even the seriously conservative seriously fish says a pair works in 3.2 gallons... Let alone 5.

Catfish12345

If we include NA fish, I nominate these native floridian fish:
Leptolucania ommata
Lucania goodei
There are more, but I am lazy. Check out this link

ashenwelt

This is all about aquarium fish. Discussions everyone?

Catfish12345

I remember hearing about people keeping golden topminnows and various killifish that accidently come in shipments (since many fish farms are located in FL)

goldface

I'm surprised people say 5gallons is too small for sparkling gouramis. I think most of the really small fish have been covered.

ashenwelt

Right now we have some NA fish, Least killifish, one apistogramma and a few additional fish. Once these are decided... I think it will be time for the next phase: recommendations for which each fish.

Hello team!

Here are the last batch of fish I would like to consider before we move to the next pphase. Please give feedback.

Anders247
BottomDweller
Bruxes and Bubbles
Little Tank of Happiness
Catfish12345
Kaleb Rinehart
Coradee
CROWNTAILBETTA
fishandle
scarface
MrBryan723

• Apistogramma trifasciata (single male or female ONLY)
  • The Pygmy Killifish /Leptolucania ommata
  • Tateurndina ocellicauda /Peacock Goby

Team this should be the last set so please comment on each. Honestly they all sound reasonable to me.

BottomDweller

I think the three stripe apisto would need a bigger tank
From my research I think the pygmy killifish would be great for a 5 gallon tank though I have no experience with them myself
I think a peacock goby would be good

ashenwelt

Hey team,

I picked up some more commentary on our list from my local San Diego Tropical Fish Society. Thought I should share.

"Dwarf Mosquitofish / Heterandria formosay" and "least killifish" are the same specie. (it's actually H formosa). "Bluefin Nothobranch Killifish / Nothobranchius rachovii" is too limited. Almost all killies (with the exception of the giants) can be kept in small tanks, and the smaller ones like Nothos can be kept in shoe boxes.

Stiphodon gobies,
Habrosa and pygmy cories
Dwarf Mexican crawfish
Pseudomugil sp

Thanks team!

BottomDweller

Pygmy cories need 20 gallons minimum, they need to be in groups of 6+ and are very active.
I believe the minimum tank size for dwarf Mexican crayfish is 8 gallons but I think they'd be ok in 5.

Little Tank of Happiness

BottomDweller said:
Pygmy cories need 20 gallons minimum, they need to be in groups of 6+ and are very active.
I believe the minimum tank size for dwarf Mexican crayfish is 8 gallons but I think they'd be ok in 5.
I've heard of someone keeping the DMC in a 5 gal It's working out fine as I last heard

Anders247

I wouldn't do a peacock gudgeon in a 5g.

CROWNTAILBETTA

Anders247 said:
I wouldn't do a peacock gudgeon in a 5g.
What is your reasoning?

Anders247

I have kept them before, and I would say 10 gallon minimum, for 2. You can't just cut it in half and say one is fine in a 5g.....

ashenwelt

Ok, so we have a debate on the peacock gudgeon. Little Tank of Happiness and CROWNTAILBETTA appear pro. Anders247 appear con.

Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock Goby) : 2 pairs in 40 liters (10.5G)

Fishbase.org - No recommendation

Can I get some more weigh in here please?

BottomDweller
Bruxes and Bubbles
Catfish12345
Kaleb Rinehart
Coradee
fishandle
scarface
MrBryan723

Others?

Kaleb Rinehart

I have no experience with them unfortunately :/

ashenwelt

Anders247 said:
I have kept them before, and I would say 10 gallon minimum, for 2. You can't just cut it in half and say one is fine in a 5g.....
So far Anders247 is the only with first hand information, so unless someone with experience wishes to keep the debate going, lets get to the other fish.

Little Tank of Happiness

I'll go with Anders because you've kept them... that's just my little bit of research

Let's get to the other fish??

Anders247

I would say the pygmy killifish is fine, and the apisto is not.
No to the cories and stiphodon sp. gobies (unless there is a very small species I am unaware of, the Stiphodon I had was not small).
Not sure about Pseudomugil, but probably not.

ashenwelt

Anders247 said:
I would say the pygmy killifish is fine, and the apisto is not.
No to the cories and stiphodon sp. gobies (unless there is a very small species I am unaware of, the Stiphodon I had was not small).
Not sure about Pseudomugil, but probably not.
There are A LOT OF Stiphodon.

30 – 35 mm
Stiphodon percnopterygionus
Stiphodon rutilaureus
Stiphodon surrufus

23mm
Stiphodon birdsong

Anders247

I would only say the 23 mm one. The other ones might be fine in a 10g.

ashenwelt

Hello team!

Here are the last batch of fish I would like to consider before we move to the next pphase. Please give feedback.

Anders247
BottomDweller
Bruxes and Bubbles
Little Tank of Happiness
Catfish12345
Kaleb Rinehart
Coradee
CROWNTAILBETTA
fishandle
scarface
MrBryan723

Any general thoughts on killifish, perhaps based on size?

30 – 35 mm
Stiphodon percnopterygionus
Stiphodon rutilaureus
Stiphodon surrufus

23mm
Stiphodon birdsong

Team this should be the last set so please comment on each. Honestly they all sound reasonable to me.

Anders247 said:
I would only say the 23 mm one. The other ones might be fine in a 10g.
I agree. If anyone disagrees, please post.

Dang... I had seriously beed designing a little tank for the peackocks in my head LOL. Had the cave designs and everything good in my head. Now I have to scrap it.

BottomDweller

I agree with Anders.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom