Stocking List For 5 Gallon Nano Aquariums

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for helping. Its helpful.

Just for clarification, the idea here is simply build a "these kinds of stock can go in a 5 gallon aquarium". A permanent list I can use when people ask. We see lots for tens and usually get the response of: no fish can live in a five. And then people get on a high bourse and often drive people away from asking for help or flat out from the hobby.

My first aquarium was in 1977. And I will say opinions have shifted dramatically over the years (just look at Mollies). I want to get a real list and say: here look at these, they have been done. I am looking for reasonable information to try to help people.

I will say this is being done with a USA philosophy. Different cultures and nations have very different expectations for aquarium size.

Catfish12345 said:
Male Gambusia maybe?
They are small enough. Any other thoughts on this one?

Little Tank of Happiness said:
You can do a multi shrimp tank:

4x amano shrimp
4x ghost shrimp
5x crystal shrimp
8-10x cherry shrimp

Edit: I suggested that because not many people think about it and just think about doing a single shrimp species tank when multiple looks really cool. You'd have to do a lot of moss balls and anubias nana (and any other good loved-by-shrimp live plants) though.
Personally I wouldn't mix in the ghosts because they get aggressive... But I added Ghost shrimp to my list.

Anders247 said:
Chili rasboras are one.
Cool. Thoughts on the following rasboras? Any more?

Emerald Dwarf Rasbora /
Celestichthys erythromicron

Dwarf Rasbora / Boraras maculatus

Mosquito Rasbora / Boraras brigittae

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes to the two boraras, no the the emerald dwarf 'rasbora' (it's actually a type of danio, and is now in the genus Danio, too).

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Anders247 said:
Yes to the two boraras, no the the emerald dwarf 'rasbora' (it's actually a type of danio, and is now in the genus Danio, too).
Even as the smallest? Also I have never seen it very active.

And yeah... Seems lots of fish get called Rasboras and end up Danios lately lol

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think it is the smallest, pretty sure there is one smaller, though I may be wrong. Been a while since I went through that genus.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Anders247 said:
I don't think it is the smallest, pretty sure there is one smaller, though I may be wrong. Been a while since I went through that genus.
No of that list lol. 20 mm or 3/4 of am inch for max size. So 1 mm smaller than the CPD.

Thoughts on rosy loach?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ashenwelt said:
No of that list lol. 20 mm or 3/4 of am inch for max size. So 1 mm smaller than the CPD.
Are you looking at fishbase for that size? It (fishbase) says they get 30 mm.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Anders247 said:
Are you looking at fishbase for that size? It (fishbase) says they get 30 mm.
I use seriously fish. However I have found the same several places. I did see some post a while back of a much larger fish they thought was misidentified as Celestichthys erythromicron that was larger. I will say the Danio erythromicron on fishbase is listed at 3 CM and that fits NOTHING I have seen anywhere else. Let alone being a completely different color than I have seen (not sure why).

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You mean the lighter color of the picture on fishbase? It's the same species as the other ones you have seen, it's just a different shade. Or maybe it is the lighting.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Anders247 said:
You mean the lighter color of the picture on fishbase? It's the same species as the other ones you have seen, it's just a different shade. Or maybe it is the lighting.
So which sizing do you believe? 3.0 CM or 20 mm? In the purpose here it has a massive difference. I personally have never seen one over an inch, but that is just my experience.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ashenwelt said:
Thoughts on rosy loach?
I don't have any personal experience with them but this is what Seriously Fish says about them:
"Base dimensions of 60 ∗ 30 cm or equivalent are required despite its diminutive size since this species is very active and should be maintained in numbers."

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Then scratch that. Any others you wanna throw in BottomDweller ?

List updated.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ashenwelt said:
Then scratch that. Any others you wanna throw in BottomDweller ?
Sorry I just bring negative news lol. I can't think of any you don't already have.

Edit: It looks like you don't have guppies, any reason for that?

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
BottomDweller said:
Sorry I just bring negative news lol. I can't think of any you don't already have.

Edit: It looks like you don't have guppies, any reason for that?
I am actually wondering about those. I just rarely keep regular guppies.

I would like comments on the following:
  • Dwarf Mosquitofish / Heterandria formosa
  • Mosquito Fish / Gambusia - Male only
  • Guppy
  • Fancy Guppy
Should any of these be in the list?

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For mosquito fish do you mean the western mosquito fish (gambusia affinis) or the eastern mosquito fish? I wouldn't do the western mosquito fish, I think they get too big. Females get to about 2.5 inches but even males aren't tiny. They can be nippy and slightly aggressive with their own kind and 5 gallons doesn't give them much room to escape each other. If you were to try it I would recommend a single male.

The other 3 look fine to me.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
BottomDweller said:
For mosquito fish do you mean the western mosquito fish (gambusia affinis) or the eastern mosquito fish? I wouldn't do the western mosquito fish, I think they get too big. Females get to about 2.5 inches but even males aren't tiny. They can be nippy and slightly aggressive with their own kind and 5 gallons doesn't give them much room to escape each other. If you were to try it I would recommend a single male.

The other 3 look fine to me.
Will add the others. What about the eastern or possibly male only?

List updated.

Can someone help identify the actual species that will work for these?
Thanks all! This is a team effort!

How about least killifish that sounds like a common recommendation.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Isn't least killifish the same thing as the dwarf mosquitofish you have listed above?

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Anders247 said:
Isn't least killifish the same thing as the dwarf mosquitofish you have listed above?
Doh! Yes. Too many names lol.

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
IMO, a single male gambusia would work in a 5 gallon, but only it was captive bred and or in a very heavily planted tank. The wild ones (whether actually from outside or just not raised to be used to humans) are very skittish, from personal experience. The ones I bought from a pond store still will not come to eat their food if I'm too close to the pond, and they have a lot of room to get away in there. I will have to experiment with babies this summer to see if they act like this if reared in an aquarium setting with daily human interaction. Definitely agree with BottomDweller about them being nippy!

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ashenwelt said:
Doh! Yes. Too many names lol.
Those would be fine then, imo.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Argh, now this list means more to me... Need to color coordinate a 7.9 gallon...

Hello team!

Here are some more fish and invertabrates to consider. Please give feedback.

Special attention to our contributors here:

Anders247
BottomDweller
Bruxes and Bubbles
@Little Tank of Happiness
@Catfish12345

I wanted to thank our contributors so far! Please join us on this!

Fish:

Microdevario kubotai
Neon blue rasbora / Sundadanio axelrodi
Boraras naevus
Bluefin Nothobranch Killifish / Nothobranchius rachovii
Pygmy Sunfish / Elassoma sp.
Eastern Mosquitofish / Gambusia holbrooki
Western Mosquitofish / Gambusia affinis (Male ONLY)

Invertabrates:

Thai Micro Spider Crabs / Limnopilos naiyanetri
CPO Dwarf Crayfish

And lastly...

African Dwarf Frogs. I honestly have next to zero knowledge on these, outside I believe they are much better in shallower species only tanks?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom