Stocking level Question 

hodge1984

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hi i wondering about stocking levels in my new tank. i have just upgraded my tank from a 3 gallon which was my starter tank to my new fluval edge 6 gallon tank. i have had 4 white cloud mountain minnows living in my 3 gallon for over a year very happily but felt it was time to upgrade. however every where i look and read it tells me that for every inch of fish its one gallon. my fish being around 1 inch each would mean i can only place 2 more fish of the same size in the new tank. the question is do i add two more cwhite clouds or is it possible to put a few more smaller fish in there to add sum colour?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, welcome!

WCMM will get up to 2 inches big at their adult size. https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-WhiteClouds.htm

If it was my tank, I would get 2 more of them to bring up their school, assuming you want to keep the WCMM.

Oh, and the inch-per-gallon rule would mean that you are overstocked already, as you are supposed to look at the adult size of the fish and not how big yours currently are.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to fishlore
Well defiantly only use that rule as a guideline. A six gallon is really small, I would not recommend adding a different type of fish but 2 more white clouds should be all right. You might want to add one then the other a week later, to help bioload and make sure parameters are still good after one.
If you wanted you could take the white clouds back to the store and get a betta for the tank.

hodge1984

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks for the advice and i think i will saty with the white clouds cos after a year i have kind of grown attached to them but wasn't sure if i was able to add a few smaller fish to the tank with them. so i will invest in maybe two more to build the shole up to six and leave it at that for now.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good Luck
Just a suggestion, you could add a java fern plant to the tank. They need to be attached to a rock or something above the gravel, but other than that really don't require anything. It would just add some beauty to the tank and make it healthier! just thought I would add that!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you want some variety and color, you could add some red cherry shrimp, or any color you'd like. You can get blue, green, yellow, red, striped, dotted and on and on. They have very little bioload and will help keep your tank clean. Just be sure to given them somewhere to hang out, like a clump of moss.

-Lisa

hodge1984

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah i did consider maybe two cherry shripm to go with the 4 white clouds but wasn't sure if it was too much for the tank and i read they need sand and i have gravel. i have three plants in the tank ryt now to help add more oxygen to the tank and help with the nitrogen cycle, i also find the white clouds like to hide in them and often sleep there at nyt. my main concern was that they would have enough room as they have been living happly in the 3 gallon tank now for a year and no probs and they seem to be fully grown at about 1 inch. i just wanted to know if it was possible to add any more small fish to the tank to add more colour, but i do think maybe two more white clouds myt work cos then there will be six and that should be nice viewing and the tank should cope but for now I'm gonna transfer the 4 over and wait a while to see how things go. any other advice is greaty welcomed

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My RCS are in regular gravel with no problems. They also add next to no bioload and you should be fine adding them! You could even set the old three gallon up as a breeder for them, I think I am going to do that with my shrimp.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads