Stocking level help

Wolfman

Reaction score
So my 55 gal tank finally cycled after 10 weeks I have been adding fish every since so far I have 5 panda corys the rest of the tank I have decided to fill up with male guppies I have 6 currently. So how many more can I add I have heard the 1 inch per gallon rule will that apply to such small fish?

P.S. I have "2" 60 gal rated filters as I was planning on having 1 oscar but ditched that plan and went for the lively guppies

Thanks wolfman

JMatt1983

Reaction score
guppies aren't very big, only about 1.5" max, but yes you are correct, the general rule is 1:1, but it doesn't apply to all species, its better to have 1:2 or or even 1:3 ratios

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Give the guppies "2 gallons of water per 1 inch of fish" rule (If you want to stay on the safe side)

You probably can put more guppies than 20 in a 55 gallon tank (in addition to the 5 cories you already have), if the guppies are to be the only remaining fish to be added to the tank. But I personally would NOT add more than 20 guppies. I'd probably have 15 guppies in there, and 20 MAX. Leave yourself some space in case you may need some algae eater in the future (if you start getting algae).

P.S. I have assumed in the above estimate that cories don't grow more than 2.5 inches. How large do the grow really? And I've assumed guppies grow to about 1.5 inches (but I still gave them a bit more space in my estimate).

OP
W

Wolfman

Reaction score
I think the panda's get 1 3/4 - 2 max but I like the suggestion of leaving alittle room for some algae eaters didn't think of that thanks

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JMatt1983 said:
guppies aren't very big, only about 1.5" max, but yes you are correct, the general rule is 1:1, but it doesn't apply to all species, its better to have 1:2 or or even 1:3 ratios
Most guppies get to 1.5 inches, but I ahve a male that is about 2.5 inches including the caudal fin.

New Threads