Stocking Issues

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mdm2223, Apr 15, 2018.

1. mdm2223

mdm2223 Valued Member Member

hey everyone. I’m redoing my 55 gallon and am needing help with stocking. I was thinking of:
    3 German Blue Rams (1m,2f)
    8 Kerri Tetras
    16 Ember Tetras

I wanting a small schooling fish, a medium schooler and then the show fish being the GBRs. Just wanted anyone’s input on this! Also any other ideas/changes would be appreciated. I want things will very good contrast!

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Somewhat understocked as you listed, the embers are nano fish.
    Why not try this?

20 Ember Tetras
    10 Kerri Tetras
    8 Bronze Cory
    3 GBR
    2 Bristlenose

3. OP
    OP
    mdm2223

The tank currently has 3 harlequin rasboras, 3 dwarf neon rainbows, 3 pearl Gouramis and 3 Gold Gouramis.

A LFS assured me multiple multiple times that the Gold Gouramis where as peaceful as pearls and they gave me 1m/2f. Turns out they’re all males and made all my dwarf neons and harlequins disappear is are the reason for redoing my tank.

Not crazy about the plecos but wanted to start by under and slowly add more overtime

4. Fanatic

Oh, well feel free to omit anything I listed!
    Since you already have some fish, would you like to do schools of those?

You can do a full school of rasboras, and the neon rainbows, but you couldn't do the Embers or Kerri.
    Do you plan on keeping the gouramis?

5. OP
    OP
    mdm2223

No the Gouramis are going back. And based off what I read the GBRs need a bit softer water than the rainbows would like. Also I read that embers might not all survive with the GBRs?... any advice that?

6. Fanatic

I personally think the embers will be fine, as long as they cannot fit in the mouths of the rams before reaching full maturity.

7. Eirelav_mcgoo

Eirelav_mcgoo Valued Member Member

Check temp compatibility. I know GBRs like to be between 80-84 and from my understanding a lot of the tetra species thrive in slightly cooler waters, around 74-78.
    That being said, my GBR is sitting at 78. She was much more vibrant at the lfs and in qt. Both of which where set at 82.
    I do love her. She has such an amazing personality, shes like the momma fish to everyone. Including my gold gouramis.

8. OP
    OP
    mdm2223

What do you think about:

16 Harlequin Rasboras
    8 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
    3 GBRs
    3 apistogramma agassizzi

9. Fanatic

I personally like that stocking list, but I can be totally wrong about the rams and the apistos together, I am not totally sure!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice