Stocking Issues?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by brooklynmv, Apr 10, 2017.

1. brooklynmv

brooklynmv New Member Member

I wrote on another thread about my stocking of my 20 gallon as follows:
    5x Neon Tetras
    3x Zebra Danios (One had a serious bacterial infection so quarantined him and found him dead this morning)
    3x Corydoras
    2x Dwarf Flame Gourami

Please tell me what the issues are with the stocking of this tank.

2. bubblegum-heart

bubblegum-heart Valued Member Member

The tetras, danios and corydoras are all schooling/shoaling fish, they need to be kept in groups of 6+ of the same species. (For example, three neon tetras and three rummy nose tetras probably won't school together. They both need a school of at least six.) What kinds of corydoras do you have? There a lots of different kinds, you can find out which ones you have here. (Found your other post.) I don't know much about your gouramis so I can't comment on those.

I'm not sure if I'm right on this, but to me it looks like you're a little overstocked, but I'm not sure on that. You'd have to ask someone who has more fish-keeping experience.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Is this a 20 gal high or a 20 gal long?

In addition to the above points, male dwarf gouramis will fight to the death - they really shouldn't be kept together unless it's a very large tank (4+ ft). I would rehome one of yours as soon as possible.

4. W

WildEyedDanio New Member Member

Looks a little overstocked. For the fish I'd say; corydoras can be kept in groups of 3 without too much trouble, ideally you would want more however I understand the problems of getting an algae eating fish for a 20L. As for danios they definitely need to be kept in schools of 5+ or they will become stressed/aggressive.

I would say either move the danios into another tank and get more or return them (as they're pretty cheap). As mentioned above gouramis males will fight so 1 should be rehomed.

If you do this you could probably get another oto or two

5. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

If this is a 20 gallon long then I would do this as the absolute maximum stocking for your tank:

6 neon tetras
    6 zebra danios
    6 corydoras
    1 dwarf flame gourami

So in recap, you need to up your schools to 6 and rehome the second dwarf flame gourami.

Edit: No longer an option since your tank is a 20 gallon high.

6. pixelhoot

pixelhoot Valued Member Member

Hello! In my own experience I have stumbled across this site, which has been really helpful in determining stock levels as well as which fish are compatible and filtration quality!

7. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

Aquadvisor should be avoided pretty much indefinitely. ESPECIALLY if you're a beginner. It doesn't take a lot of important factors into account that really need to be accounted for.

There are no hard and fast mathematical rules you can use for stocking a tank. That's why Fishlore exists; we're all here to help each other

8. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

The dimensions are 24.1x12.5x19.1 .... And my male gourami's have been doing fine since I've had them. In the store 5 of them were kept in a 10 gallon and doing fine as well. Is it possible for them to just get ticked off one day and then attack?

It's a 20 gallon, not 20 liters. So my first priority would be getting more danios and rehoming the gourami?

What factors does it not take into account?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  9. Danjamesdixon

Aquadvisor primarily works on bioload. It takes very little into account in the ways of territories, incompatibilities, swimming space, upper/mid/lower dwellings and so on.

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I think they meant a 20 long rather than 20 litres

It doesn't take into account the area that fish swim in. For example it says you could have 10 bronze cories in a 20 gallon high and only be 84% stocked. This would be very overcrowded in the bottom area of the tank though you would still have room for upper dwelling fish. Aqadvisor doesn't tell you this kind of thing.

There are many more things it doesn't take into account. Things like activity level, area of tank they occupy, aggression, bioload and many other things all need to be thought about when stocking a tank. Aqadvisor can be used as a guide for experienced fish keepers who have researched the particular fish they want to keep and have a good feel for stocking levels but for beginners aqadvisor is very misleading and can cause them to stock their tank badly.

I've also found that aqadvisor's temperature ranges are a bit weird. It says 19-23c for comet goldfish for example

11. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

Oh okay, I see! Thank you!

So can anyone recommend quick fixes for this stocking?

12. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would remove the zebra danios and 1 DG and add 3 more cories and 1-3 more neons

13. TexasDomer

I prefer just one schooling species in a 20 gal high due to length. As danios are super active and should be in a 30" tank, I would do this:

8-10x Neons
    8x Cories (all one species, but a small species, like panda cories or false julii)
    1x DG

What species of cory do you have?

14. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

That's a 20 gallon high.

15. TexasDomer

Duh, I missed the dimensions. I saw someone mention 20 long and ran with it. Oops! Stocking options changed above.

16. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I did say if the tank was a 20 gallon long, but I wasn't sure if it was. Since it is a 20 gallon high I would say that my above suggestion is no longer an option and that only one school of fish should be in there as mentioned above.

17. pixelhoot

pixelhoot Valued Member Member

Oh gosh! Faux pas there! I completely did not take into account the different levels and temperaments that one might not think of while stocking the tank with just aquadvisor. Yes, I meant the site entirely for bioload, my bad! Secondary research on the specific species is a must, which you have covered it seems. :> I agree with the statements above. A 20 gal high is simply too little wiggle room for more than one school and 1+ danios as danios love to move around which wouldn't mix well with lots of fish to bump into!

18. TexasDomer

Aqadvisor isn't good for bioload either :(

19. Danjamesdixon

Really? Dang. Sorry Aquadvisor. At least you tried haha.

20. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

My neons tend to school on the bottom of the tank while the danios stay in the middle/top area of the tank. I've never seen them cross paths before.. I've already got attachments to all my fish species!!

21. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

I believe the cories are Spotted Corydoras, their adult size is 2.5 in average. How big will the DG get to for his adult size? Will he ever outgrow the tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice