Stocking - Interesting Suggestions Anyone?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Biovetscientist, Apr 12, 2017.

1. B

Biovetscientist New Member Member

Hi guys,

I have a 20 gallon planted tank with 3 guppies, 1 BN pleco and 4 green (false) tetras. Tank has been running since xmas (fishless cycle), have readings of
    ammonia: 0
    nitrite:0
    nitrate: 1 (I know this is specific, my scientist friend checks my water parameters in the lab and these were the readings from yesterday but do also use liquid test kit)
    temp 26 celsius (78.8 farenheit)
    GH: 11
    pH: 7
    substrate: rounded fine gravel with a underlayer of shrimp sand.
    plants: cryptocoryne, java moss, hornwort, marimo ball, water lettuce, water wisteria
    decor: large chunk of bogwood

I will be getting more of the tetras, probably around 6 more and someone has already mentioned rehoming the pleco until I can get my bigger tank in a few months.

I would like recommendations on what to fill my tank with! I do have 2 guppy fry in a 5 gallon so bear in mind there will be 5 guppies and potentially more (one female will drop soon), although I will be leaving them in the community tank from now on to let nature take it's course.

I fell in love with dwarf puffers but having a male guppy with a beautiful tail I don't want to compromise his welfare by getting something that will nip. I like harlequin rasboras and scarlet badis. Would like something interesting, bright or with personality. Something unusual would be great.

Thanks guys!

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Is it a 20 high or long?

3. OP
    OP
    B

4. aquatickeeper

5. OP
    OP
    B

Great suggestions! Would love to keep my first 2 fry that are in my 5 gallon at the minute so I would have 5 guppies in total. Do you think that will be okay with the bioload?

6. aquatickeeper

I think so. I've never heard of green tetras before, do you know their scientific name?

7. OP
    OP
    B

Yes, they are called Paracheirodon simulans (missed the neon out by accident - they are green neon tetras). Thanks for your help!

8. aquatickeeper

Your welcome! Don't forget to rehome the pleco. They need a minimum of 29 gallons

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice