Stocking in a tank with BN pleco fry

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Catten, Jul 16, 2015.

1. C

Catten New Member Member

So, I've recently developed an interest in breeding BN plecos but I don't really like the idea of a species only tank. I'd like to keep other things in the breeding tank with the parents and fry but I'm not sure on what would and would not eat the fry.

I have not started setting up this tank, nor will I for probably a year or so. I am about to start moving across the country so I will not have much time for fishkeeping for awhile, but in my head I have been planning out what I would like to do with this tank that I plan to set up in the future when I am able to.

The tank itself will probably be a 40G breeder, I may go a little larger depending on stocking plans and such but I like the size of the 40G breeder.

I really like mollies so I would like a couple in there, I'm thinking just three females, I just like their personalities. If mollies would eat the fry then I'm open to suggestions of similar fish.

I'd like some sort of small schooling fish. I'm very interested in celestial pearl danios, but as they are on the more expensive side I may end up going for something a little cheaper. I'm thinking 8-10 small tetras or danios. I'd like to point out that every tank that my dad has ever had in our house has had neon tetras in it and I honestly do not find them interesting at all as a result. Now that I will be out of my dad's house and the tanks I set up will be my own I'd rather not have any neons, but any other similar sized schooling fish will probably work. I tend to prefer the very colorful ones.

My boyfriend really likes the dinosaur bichir at Petsmart, I believe its proper name is senegal bichir? Would one of these be okay in a 40G breeder with fry or would it eat them? If it would not be okay then that's fine, just thought I would ask. We do really like the fish that are shaped like this though, long and rope-like. Would there be a similar shaped fish that would do okay with fry without overstocking the tank?

I would also like a few shrimp, I'm thinking cherry shrimp, would they be alright with this stocking setup? If not is there another shrimp you would recommend over cherry shrimp?

Finally the BN plecos, I'll likely try and grab just two of them. A male and female, one albino, one normal colored, doesn't matter which is which.

I've put my stocking plans into aqadvisor and this is what it tells me,

2x BN pleco
    3x molly
    10x CPD
    1x senegal bichir
    5x cherry shrimp

Stocking level is at 72%

As far as I can tell there is no way to tell aqadvisor that you plan for there to be fry in the tank, so it does not give me any red flags as to if the bichir or any of the other fish would cause problems.

If the bichir would eat fry, would I still be likely to have some fry survive to a safe size before the bichir ate them all if I were to give them plenty of hiding places? I can accept losing a few of the fry to other fish, but I would like to have some of them reach adulthood. I would likely end up trading fry in to LFSs for store credit once they were big enough.

So to sum up all my questions,
    1. Can I keep mollies with BN pleco fry? If not, what is a similar fish that would do better with the fry, if one exists?
    2. Can I keep CPD or similar fish with BN fry?
    3. Can I keep cherry shrimp with BN fry, as well as the other fish in the tank? If not, is there a different shrimp better suited to this stocking setup?
    4. Can I keep a senegal bichir with BN fry?
    5. If it would eat the fry would some fry still survive if I were to give them plenty of hiding places?
    6. If the bichir just won't work, is there a similar shaped fish that would be better?

I think that's all my questions for now, what do you guys think?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I would not do mollies and plecos in the same tank, the bioload would be tremendously big as both types of fish have huge bioloads... Bichirs get way too big for a 40B, maximum size of 20" according to Seriously Fish.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

ll my questions,
    1. Can I keep mollies with BN pleco fry? If not, what is a similar fish that would do better with the fry, if one exists?
    If the fry are small enough to fit in the Mollies mouth then they are likely to be eaten.

2. Can I keep CPD or similar fish with BN fry?
    Cpd's prefer cool temperature, so yes if the temp is no more than 24C

3. Can I keep cherry shrimp with BN fry, as well as the other fish in the tank? If not, is there a different shrimp better suited to this stocking setup?
    Shrimp will take weak or slow moving fry so most healthy fry would be ok with them

4. Can I keep a senegal bichir with BN fry?
    No, Bichirs will eat any fish they can fit in their mouths, they also get too big for a 40 gallon

5. If it would eat the fry would some fry still survive if I were to give them plenty of hiding places?
    I doubt any would survive even with hiding places.

6. If the bichir just won't work, is there a similar shaped fish that would be better?
    I'll let others who keep similar fish advise you on that

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree with Dom and Coradee.
    How about a group of at least 6 kuhli loaches? They are snake-like, like bichirs.

5. F

Fishfinatic Valued Member Member

Honestly I would just recommend a species only tank if you are gonna breed BNP's

Good luck :p

6. OP
    OP
    C

Catten New Member Member

Would the mollies and plecos together still be an issue in a lightly stocked tank that is slightly overfiltered? (Haven't decided on a filter just yet but I plan to find one marketed for tanks larger than 40g). If it still wouldn't work very well is there a fish like mollies that would work better with the plecos? I really love their personalities.

I was sort of thinking something a little bigger than kuhli loaches but after a little research I do find them quite attractive, a group of 6 might work in place of the bichir. Replacing the bichir with 6 kuhli loaches in aqadvisor comes up with 60% stocking, so that would actually work pretty well I think. I wanted to stock the tank relatively lightly to compensate a little for the bioload of the fry until they can be traded in to a LFS. I'll probably go with the kuhlis then.

I understand that a species only tank would be better for breeding but this isn't something I want to do on a large scale. I'd just be doing it as a hobby in my tank at home and prefer the look of multi-species tank. Even if it doesn't work out very well I'd still like to give it a shot.

So from what I've gathered my main issues are that the mollies and plecos together may have too large of a bioload, and kuhli loaches would work better than the bichir. No major red flags otherwise, besides the shrimp picking off slow or weak fry, which isn't too big of a problem. I'm still curious as to if the mollies would be alright with a lightly stocked tank and slight overfiltration?

Thanks for all the responses, you guys are very helpful!

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldnt rely on AqAdvisor, that website is highly inaccurate. I have come to learn and trust the people on forums and their knowledge more than some program on some website :eek:
    Honestly, I would not put the mollies in the tank at all if you are planning on breeding plecos... unless you got a bigger tank like a 60g... Overfilration only works up to a certain point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice