Stocking In A 55 Gallon

FishManiak18

New Member
Member
Messages
36
Hey all, so I have recently set up my 55 gallon and wanted to get an idea of my stock. I really wanted to incorporate both kuhlI loaches and congo tetras in the tank. I also don't want a tank that is too planted (lots of aggression). Just a simple aquascape, I know I am asking a lot but any advice is much appreciated from someone a little more experienced than me. Thanks!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
F

FishManiak18

New Member
Member
Messages
36
SaltyPhone said:
Sounds like a great start. However I’m not really seeing a question in the post.
I was wondering what kinds of other fish might do well with them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
F

FishManiak18

New Member
Member
Messages
36
SaltyPhone said:
Congo’s get to be pretty beefy so any midsize fish would do well like angels, pearl gouramI there’s a lot of options. What kind of fish have you been looking into?
I have been looking into some dwarf cichlids, would they work? And what kind of numbers should I start with for the two schools?
 

Wolf010

Active Member
Member
Messages
236
Then perhaps add your center piece fish and wait about a week or two before finishing up the stocking by increasing the size of both schools
 

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Member
Messages
860
Dwarf cichlids are awsome but the khulis may get terrorized. Like Latrell said a few rainbows like bosmanI or turquoise could work too.
 

Joshuaharestad

Active Member
Member
Messages
127
I agree that dwarf cichlids will probably terrorize the khulI loaches. I finally went with angelfish as they are really peaceful for cichlids. But they can get big. So keep their final size in mind when stocking.
 

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,277
FishManiak18 said:
I have been looking into some dwarf cichlids, would they work? And what kind of numbers should I start with for the two schools?
What dwarf cichlids were you looking for? I don't agree that they would all terrorise the kuhlis. There are different types of different temperaments. My bolivian rams for instance don't bother other fish in their tank. What temp is the tank?

Cichlids like rams do need cover to block line of sight between each other. If you have two there should be areas of the tank they can be without seeing one another. Multiple territory locations are needed. They can get into little fights but it amounts to nothing. They are incredibly peaceful.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
F

FishManiak18

New Member
Member
Messages
36
Feohw said:
What dwarf cichlids were you looking for? I don't agree that they would all terrorise the kuhlis. There are different types of different temperaments. My bolivian rams for instance don't bother other fish in their tank. What temp is the tank?

Cichlids like rams do need cover to block line of sight between each other. If you have two there should be areas of the tank they can be without seeing one another. Multiple territory locations are needed. They can get into little fights but it amounts to nothing. They are incredibly peaceful.
I was personally looking into apistos I thought it would be cool to put a pair of them in. But I also liked the idea of a few rainbows. Dont they need yo be in schools though?
 

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,277
FishManiak18 said:
I was personally looking into apistos I thought it would be cool to put a pair of them in. But I also liked the idea of a few rainbows. Dont they need yo be in schools though?
Raionbows would like to be in groups yes. Apistos would likely work too. Which species were you looking at? Apistos would like cover too though. And caves.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
F

FishManiak18

New Member
Member
Messages
36
I
Feohw said:
Raionbows would like to be in groups yes. Apistos would likely work too. Which species were you looking at? Apistos would like cover too though. And caves.
Think I might go with rainbows, would bosemani's work with just a few? Could I put in a larger group? I wanted fish that don't neccesarilly hide and need caves/ cover. (Even though some will be provided) Thanks!
 

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,277
FishManiak18 said:
I

Think I might go with rainbows, would bosemani's work with just a few? Could I put in a larger group? I wanted fish that don't neccesarilly hide and need caves/ cover. (Even though some will be provided) Thanks!
I'm not a rainbow guy so I'll leave that to someone that knows them better.

When I say apistogramma need caves and cover, I don't mean they hide the whole time. They are out and about mostly. But they have their own territories and like places where they can chill without seeing one another. So it's best to have decor to block line of sight, not because they hide. The caves are there so they feel comfortable when breeding (which they will do if you have a pair).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
F

FishManiak18

New Member
Member
Messages
36
Feohw said:
I'm not a rainbow guy so I'll leave that to someone that knows them better.

When I say apistogramma need caves and cover, I don't mean they hide the whole time. They are out and about mostly. But they have their own territories and like places where they can chill without seeing one another. So it's best to have decor to block line of sight, not because they hide. The caves are there so they feel comfortable when breeding (which they will do if you have a pair).
Oh, ok. I think I still might go with rainbows just because I want to have an open tank. With decor on the bottom, sides and back. I have a 20 gallon that is planted and wanted to try an open scape for my 55. Thanks though.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
234
Guests online
2,862
Total visitors
3,096

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom