Stocking idea's?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Female bettas are very aggressive to each other, and very unlikely to cope with any tankmates. Separate them into their own 5 gallon tanks.

The cherry shrimp wouldn't last 2 seconds with those SA leaf fish in the same tank.

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The females won't even get along in that large a tank? we already have one female betta and we aren't allowed to actually have more than one tank at a time and we just got this 150 gallon tank. So should we just keep the one female instead of getting a second?

We can probably get something other than the SA Leaf Fish if you could give me some ideas on something that would be cool looking like that.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think you should have a betta in such as tall tank. They need to be able to get to the surface easily to breathe.

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
unfortunately there's really no other option unless i can actually find someone who can take her.

Last edited:

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
150 gallons? Most of that should work out fine. The shrimp won't last long though with the leaf fish. Also worry about the bettas with the leaf fish, but as long as you get ones that are comparable size it should be OK. IMO the bettas will be fine in a 150...they should be able to stake out their own territory, and they are totally capable of breathing with their gills in the water, they don't "need" easy access to atmospheric air in a cycled and maintained tank.

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is there something other than the leaf fish then that still looks different but will leave the shrimp alone?

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Or how about a shrimp with nice colors like the cherry shrimp that gets large enough where it won't be considered lunch by the other fish?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For some reason I have a feeling the silver dollars will also get your shrimp. And I am also pretty sure even in a cycled tank a betta still goes to the surface to breathe. So I personally wouldn't keep her in there.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok this is the stocking list that the daycare director came up with for our 150 aquarium... is it possible that it'll work?
6 Koi Swordtails, cherry shrimp, 6 glass catfish, 4 south american leaf fish, 2 siamese algae eaters, 5 silver dollars, and 2 female betta's.

If not could you tell me what would be a better idea please
First, SA leaf fish will only eat live food....which brings me to point #2 - they'll eat everything in the tank. Point #3 is moot - they will not tollerate their own kind.

2 bettas is a 150 gallon ought to work, but there's always the chance they won't.

Just about every fish eats shrimp. I would suggest bloody parrots for the main attraction of the tank. Thy probably wouldn'y be able to eat the shrimp.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First, SA leaf fish will only eat live food....which brings me to point #2 - they'll eat everything in the tank. Point #3 is moot - they will not tollerate their own kind.

2 bettas is a 150 gallon ought to work, but there's always the chance they won't.

Just about every fish eats shrimp. I would suggest bloody parrots for the main attraction of the tank. Thy probably wouldn'y be able to eat the shrimp.
my bloody parrots happily ate a shrimp one day. I put it in there to see if it'd live through the fish and on its way to the bottom got gulped up by one of my parrots

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my opinon, your stock list just won't work out.

I think the bettas will be bullied and out competed for food.
The leaf fish will be dangerous to every fish in the tank.
And all of the fish will eat cherry shrimp, the silver dollars and leafys will get the adults and all of the fish will eat the babies, so your population will slowly come down to nothing.
I highly recommend re-thinking this stock before you go ahead with it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom