212.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 986B8130-A8C9-4FD8-91C1-AE1A84487FD8.jpeg
    986B8130-A8C9-4FD8-91C1-AE1A84487FD8.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 27

Basil

In my 75 I have 18 tiger barbs, 6 Botia dario (Queen loach) and a flying fox.
The large group of tiger barbs are awesome although there are still squabbles. Yesterday I lost a male who had been on the losing end of an insurrection some months ago. I separated him and he grew his fins back and then did fine back with the group for a while but eventually faded. But I digress.
From my understanding, yo-yos can be a bit more boisterous than some of the other Botia loaches so I don’t know how they would get along with a rainbow shark. The red tailed black shark is one of my fav fish but I went with the flying fox ( same genus but different species from the rainbow and RTBS) as they are supposed to be less territorial with other fish.
And if it were me, I’d leave out the blood parrot. But I like to stick to fish from the same region.
Nice start to the tank. Add more plants. Like a lot more! The barbs love swimming among plants and they will provide respite places for harassed females and arguing males. I highly recommend Italian vals as a great, moderate light and usually fast growing plant.

Upvote 0

YinYangSlim

In my 75 I have 18 tiger barbs, 6 Botia dario (Queen loach) and a flying fox.
The large group of tiger barbs are awesome although there are still squabbles. Yesterday I lost a male who had been on the losing end of an insurrection some months ago. I separated him and he grew his fins back and then did fine back with the group for a while but eventually faded. But I digress.
From my understanding, yo-yos can be a bit more boisterous than some of the other Botia loaches so I don’t know how they would get along with a rainbow shark. The red tailed black shark is one of my fav fish but I went with the flying fox ( same genus but different species from the rainbow and RTBS) as they are supposed to be less territorial with other fish.
And if it were me, I’d leave out the blood parrot. But I like to stick to fish from the same region.
Nice start to the tank. Add more plants. Like a lot more! The barbs love swimming among plants and they will provide respite places for harassed females and arguing males. I highly recommend Italian vals as a great, moderate light and usually fast growing plant.
I’m plant shopping today so thanks for the idea

Upvote 0

hpt84

If you plan on keeping a blood parrot, make sure it is bigger than the tiger barbs so it wont get pick on

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I had a rainbow shark in my tank with my loaches, yoyo, zebra and polkadot. He seemed happy, no squabbles, but He didnt last the year. Im not sure if he was getting his fair share of food amongst the loaches. One day he was just dead with no symptoms

If you get loaches, get at least 6 per species, they are very social. and even 6 is a very small number compared to what they came from in the wild.
In my experience, YoYos are very active food hogging fish, but so are My zebra loaches and so are my polk a dots. I would not add sharp gravel, it could injure these curious scaleless fish. any decoration should be pretty wsmooth inside and out.

Upvote 0

TheWalkman

I like the idea of that tiger barbs.

Upvote 0

YinYangSlim

Alright well I changed a few things around.
I put in
1 young blood parrot
5 mollies (they half yellow and black ones)
1 young rainbow shark
I did angels instead of tiger barbs( wife idea)
1 sm gold angel
1 sm koi angel
and I’m ditching the bottom feeders, mollies do well at cleaning up and want to give the rainbow shark plenty room.

so I need to know what would be good dither fish with young angels. I want something that schools.
-15 neons
-15 cardinals
-15harlequin raspboras
-I wanted rummynose but everyone is sold out

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Angelfish do not need dither fish, the parrot will eat any fish that fits in its mouth. Tankmates need to be larger and more bold. A school of tiger barbs and a school of blood parrots would be possible, but I don't know if your tank is large enough, and you cant keep tiger barbs and angels.
Rainbowfish might work, they are bold and fast and most get large enough, and they are not finned nippy in my experience. I have had 4 different species of rainbows. The Australian rainbows I got 6 months ago are doing amazing, prettier, and larger than I ever expected.

Upvote 0

YinYangSlim

Well due to limited options I purchased 18 neons. All my fish to be worried about are to small to eat them aside from the blood parrot and mollies. The mollies are to clumsy and the swarm effect is working well for them. The blood parrot tries to sneak attack them with no luck. I’m thinking if I replace as needed to keep up their numbers for them to grow they all may acclimate to each other. If this doesn’t work the. I’ll order some rummynose...with that said I hope they survived the night

Well scratch that...I got 9 left(keep finding more), and no bodies found so either restock if the stay alive a few days. If they keep dwindling I will go for the rummynose. The other fish seem to have lost interest and the neons are swimming more relaxed and schooling stretched out instead of a ball. So who knows what’s gonna happen

Angelfish do not need dither fish, the parrot will eat any fish that fits in its mouth. Tankmates need to be larger and more bold. A school of tiger barbs and a school of blood parrots would be possible, but I don't know if your tank is large enough, and you cant keep tiger barbs and angels.
Rainbowfish might work, they are bold and fast and most get large enough, and they are not finned nippy in my experience. I have had 4 different species of rainbows. The Australian rainbows I got 6 months ago are doing amazing, prettier, and larger than I ever expected.
I’d love to get some rainbows but they are hard to find around here.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Well due to limited options I purchased 18 neons. All my fish to be worried about are to small to eat them aside from the blood parrot and mollies. The mollies are to clumsy and the swarm effect is working well for them. The blood parrot tries to sneak attack them with no luck. I’m thinking if I replace as needed to keep up their numbers for them to grow they all may acclimate to each other. If this doesn’t work the. I’ll order some rummynose...with that said I hope they survived the night
Well scratch that...I got 8 left, and no bodies found so either restock if the stay alive a few days. If they keep dwindling I will go for the rummynose
I’d lo

ve to get some but hard to find around here
Yeah, blood parrots and angels are both incredibly voracious and will eat neons at any chance they get. I would go for something like cherry barbs instead of a tetra species. Those have a thicker body and aren't as likely to be eaten.

Upvote 0

YinYangSlim

Yeah, blood parrots and angels are both incredibly voracious and will eat neons at any chance they get. I would go for something like cherry barbs instead of a tetra species. Those have a thicker body and aren't as likely to be eaten.
I just worry about my angels being so small and getting nipped. I got some serpaes and black phantoms in another tank but they are roughly the size of my koi angel

Oh I recounted, 13 neons survived

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
biobreak
Replies
Views
Josh752