Stocking Ideas? 20 Gallon Tank 

Lettuceturnipthebeetsweet

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello! I am setting up a 20 gallon tank. All I've done so far is put in some Fluval Stratum and water. Im going to put some plants in next. I have a goldfish temporarily in another tank that I want to put in here (if he outgrows the 20 gal, I have a 55 gal I can put him into). Does anyone have any stocking ideas of goldfish-friendly tank mates? :)

Guy25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just so you know, depending on what goldfish, most are huge plant eaters and will likely dislodge the plants from your substrate. You might have slight difficulty keeping live plants in there but that's just my experience, I know others have done so without problem.

As far as tank mates though, I've kept them with larger schools of white clouds and cherry barbs which can look really cool in a nicely planted tank.

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your tank is pretty much stocked with one goldfish. Sorry, but that is it seriously.

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Guy25 said:
Just so you know, depending on what goldfish, most are huge plant eaters and will likely dislodge the plants from your substrate. You might have slight difficulty keeping live plants in there but that's just my experience, I know others have done so without problem.

As far as tank mates though, I've kept them with larger schools of white clouds and cherry barbs which can look really cool in a nicely planted tank.
Awesome! Thanks for your input! From what I've observed with this goldfish (its a common goldfish) from where he is right now he hasn't really bothered live plants, so I'm hoping that behavior stays the same haha

I was thinking about cherry barbs- I know goldfish require a lot of space. How many cherry barbs do you think would be ok to put in a 20 gallon with him? I want to be careful to not overcrowd

BadisBadis

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would honestly put the goldfish right into the 55 right now. They need the space. Weather leaches are great tank mates for cold water goldfish. If you mean live plants, spare your money! Goldfish will just eat them.
Use your 20 gallon for something smaller like schools of tetras

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MrFishkeeper1 said:
Your tank is pretty much stocked with one goldfish. Sorry, but that is it seriously.
That's true, but hes really small right now. I was thinking of keeping him in the 20 gallon with a couple other fish until he grows out of it. Then, I can move him to a 55 gallon tank where he will have a lot more space. Do you think that would work? He's only 3 inches at the moment.

BadisBadis said:
I would honestly put the goldfish right into the 55 right now. They need the space. Weather leaches are great tank mates for cold water goldfish. If you mean live plants, spare your money! Goldfish will just eat them.
Use your 20 gallon for something smaller like schools of tetras
Ok cool! Thanks for the information!

This is my first post on this forum, I'm kind of surprised I got so many responses so quickly haha. Thanks all!

Guy25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lettuceturnipthebeetsweet said:
Awesome! Thanks for your input! From what I've observed with this goldfish (its a common goldfish) from where he is right now he hasn't really bothered live plants, so I'm hoping that behavior stays the same haha

I was thinking about cherry barbs- I know goldfish require a lot of space. How many cherry barbs do you think would be ok to put in a 20 gallon with him? I want to be careful to not overcrowd
If you really want a school of cherries in there, id start with 6-10 in a densely planted aquarium and see how they do. That's about what i do with neons and they're the same size. But i'd definitely go with the other posters opinions, it'd be the most ideal if you moved him to the 55 now, also you likely will be much happier with the 20 in the long run, have allot more stocking variability, and have fewer problems. Good luck! Post pictures once you've got those plants in, i love planted aquariums :)

Sien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with the others what a 20 gallon is not appropriate for a goldfish, especially a common one :). Although he is only 3 inches, they still produce a lot of waste. A 55 gallon will accommodate that waste better and be a more suitable grow out tank. A 20 gallon could lead to problems such as stunting his growth. I would grow him out in the 55 gallon and then move him to an even bigger tank, just my thoughts. If kept in enough space where they can properly grow, they can reach over a foot long.

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Guy25 said:
If you really want a school of cherries in there, id start with 6-10 in a densely planted aquarium and see how they do. That's about what i do with neons and they're the same size. But i'd definitely go with the other posters opinions, it'd be the most ideal if you moved him to the 55 now, also you likely will be much happier with the 20 in the long run, have allot more stocking variability, and have fewer problems.
Ok, great thanks! I think I'll end up putting the goldfish in the 55 like everyone is saying

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's true, but he's really small right now. I was thinking of keeping him in the 20 gallon with a couple of other fish until he grows out of it. Then, I can move him to a 55-gallon tank where he will have a lot more space. Do you think that would work? He's only 3 inches at the moment.
A single slim bodied goldfish minimum space is 30 gallons. If giving proper space to grow your goldfish would still grow in the 20 gallon, but not as fast. Also super controversial if goldfish can even get stunted but he could even get stunted in that. Short answer just put him in the 55.

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sien said:
I agree with the others what a 20 gallon is not appropriate for a goldfish, especially a common one :). Although he is only 3 inches, they still produce a lot of waste. A 55 gallon will accommodate that waste better and be a more suitable grow out tank. A 20 gallon could lead to problems such as stunting his growth. I would grow him out in the 55 gallon and then move him to an even bigger tank, just my thoughts. If kept in enough space where they can properly grow, they can reach over a foot long.
Alright! Thanks for letting me know :)

MrFishkeeper1 said:
A single slim bodied goldfish minimum space is 30 gallons. If giving proper space to grow your goldfish would still grow in the 20 gallon, but not as fast. Also super controversial if goldfish can even get stunted but he could even get stunted in that. Short answer just put him in the 55.
Guy25 said:
If you really want a school of cherries in there, id start with 6-10 in a densely planted aquarium and see how they do. That's about what i do with neons and they're the same size. But i'd definitely go with the other posters opinions, it'd be the most ideal if you moved him to the 55 now, also you likely will be much happier with the 20 in the long run, have allot more stocking variability, and have fewer problems. Good luck! Post pictures once you've got those plants in, i love planted aquariums :)
I'll share some pics when I put the plants in :) this is my first 20 gallon planted tank, so we'll see how things go. I'm more experienced with bettas and smaller tanks I love the way schools look in planted tanks so that's probably what I'll end up doing

Guy25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice
I'll share some pics when I put the plants in :) this is my first 20 gallon planted tank, so we'll see how things go. I'm more experienced with bettas and smaller tanks I love the way schools look in planted tanks so that's probably what I'll end up doing
Very nice. As a recommendation, read Diana Walstad's book on the Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. Reading her book totally changed my planted tank experience ( every single on of my tanks is based off of her method ( 7 total, 1 gal - 75 gallons ), aside from a bare quarantine tank ). The main emphasis of her book is she uses dirt as a substrate, capped with a thin gravel. My tanks have been doing really well since i made the switch! But there's nothing wrong with fluval stratum, just so dang expensive!

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Guy25 said:
Nice

Very nice. As a recommendation, read Diana Walstad's book on the Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. Reading her book totally changed my planted tank experience ( every single on of my tanks is based off of her method ( 7 total, 1 gal - 75 gallons ), aside from a bare quarantine tank ). The main emphasis of her book is she uses dirt as a substrate, capped with a thin gravel. My tanks have been doing really well since i made the switch! But there's nothing wrong with fluval stratum, just so dang expensive!
So cool! Ill look intot hat book. Boy, stratum is expensive you are right

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright guys, just an update, I moved the goldfosh to the 55 gallon yesterday amd he seems happy and healthy so far! :D

Alright guys, just an update, I moved the goldfosh to the 55 gallon yesterday amd he seems happy and healthy so far! :D
It’s cycled right? Just have to make sure

jkkgron2 said:
It’s cycled right? Just have to make sure
Yup!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom