30 Gallon Tank Stocking Ideas

Matthew7812

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I can help with plants and stocking! :) I think a 30 gallon is a great home for that stocking list. Although, I would make some adjustments if it was my tank. 15 neon tetras. 2 bristlenose plecos, and 4 Corys. For long term success, my only issue is that Corys like to live in groups and feel more comfortable that way. Make sure their are plenty of hiding spots for all your bottom feeders.

As for plants, your gravel isn't the most ideal home for live plants. Although I think they will do fine in what you have now. If you'd be willing to do a little bit more work into fertilizer etc then they would really flourish. I suggest anubias, amazon sword plants, java fern, java moss, marimo balls, and maybe even crypts ... depending on your lighting of course.

Traps

Reaction score
I Got the tank a couple of weeks ago off a guy who just lost interest in the hobby and the tank it self was in horrible condition , the tank came with the all the fish i listed above besides for the neon tetras those i added myself.

I Would defiantly be interested in getting some amazon sword plants , what kind of lighting would be beneficial to keep a plant like that.

also what kind of hiding spots would be a good idea to have if i do go down the route of 4 Corys

Thanks for all your help !

Matthew7812

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If money is an issue, a few small pieces of cut-up PVC pipe. They will huddle in it at night, they like to sleep together for protection. But really anything with the "cave style" decoration will work for them and your plecos.

the beautiful thing about the plants I listed above is they are great for all mild to moderate lighting (which it looks like you have)

Fljoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can help with plants and stocking! :) I think a 30 gallon is a great home for that stocking list. Although, I would make some adjustments if it was my tank. 15 neon tetras. 2 bristlenose plecos, and 4 Corys. For long term success, my only issue is that Corys like to live in groups and feel more comfortable that way. Make sure their are plenty of hiding spots for all your bottom feeders.

As for plants, your gravel isn't the most ideal home for live plants. Although I think they will do fine in what you have now. If you'd be willing to do a little bit more work into fertilizer etc then they would really flourish. I suggest anubias, amazon sword plants, java fern, java moss, marimo balls, and maybe even crypts ... depending on your lighting of course.
I agree! Up your neon group. I also have gravel and was thinking about live plants. But I am afraid. Of course the LPS says just drop them in. I think I will stick to fake plants till I upgrade to a bigger tank, then do a sand substrate. Also look at the Black Mollies. They are beautiful and fun to watch. I forget what they are called, but there is a molly that is half gold and black.

Traps

Reaction score
If money is an issue, a few small pieces of cut-up PVC pipe. They will huddle in it at night, they like to sleep together for protection. But really anything with the "cave style" decoration will work for them and your plecos.

the beautiful thing about the plants I listed above is they are great for all mild to moderate lighting (which it looks like you have)
Thanks very much i will defiantly look into getting some kind of cave decoration

CardShark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As others have mentioned, both the Tetras and Corys like to be in bigger groups.

Mine are much happier when they are 10+ of each.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anubias is a good plant to go with, you'll be able to attach it to the wood and there are lot's of different types to choose from. A lot don't need strong lighting either.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is it a 30 long or a 30 tall? how many inches is the longest part of the tank?

I suggest you get 10 more neons, and 5 more of each corie species.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom