Stocking Ideas 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by rstantonx93, Aug 20, 2019.

1. rstantonx93

rstantonx93New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for some ideas to stock a 55 freshwater gallon tank over some time. Already doing a fishless cycle now. Overall I'd like to see fish on each layer (top, middle, bottom) What would you suggest and how many of each fish would you do along with plants to go along with it.?

2. Joshuaharestad

JoshuaharestadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    1 year
    I like dwarf sagitaria for ground cover and grasses for tall mid and background. Water wisteria looks nice and grows fast. Various swords for more leafy. You thinking small fish or big fish? You could do a severum or acara. Maybe a few rams. If you want bigger fish. Hatchetfish or butterfly fish are top swimmers. Khuli loaches or snails for bottom feeders. Plenty of other options out there for small fish. Less for bigger ones.

3. OP
    OP
    rstantonx93

rstantonx93New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    feels like im more of a fan of smaller fish

4. Joshuaharestad

JoshuaharestadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    1 year
    Afriad I don't know small fish as well. I might do a gourami or two for centerpiece fish. Two schools of other fish size depending on the fish size. And some snails and loaches for the bottom. But that's just me.