Stocking Ideas 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by 90's, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:46 PM.

1. 90'sNew MemberMember

Hey fish friends.

Need some stocking ideas for my 40 gal breeder, tank just finished cycling a couple days ago did a water change and now we are ready for some fish.

With my given water parameters what are some stocking ideas to consider ?

PH 8.0
    Gh 4 or 5
    KH 3 or 4

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

What's the one fish you really want? That's were I usually start and go from there.

3. OP
    OP

90'sNew MemberMember

Well I just want ideas that will work with my parameters

4. OP
    OP

90'sNew MemberMember

I guess with my high ph and low gh and kh it’s leaving me a bit confused.

5. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

6. mbkempWell Known MemberMember

Many water utilities add sodium hydroxide to raise the alkalinity of the water to prevent pipe corrosion. This also minimizes lime scale build up.

If you can test your tds. I bet you are under 200 which is pretty good for all but harder water fish

7. OP
    OP

90'sNew MemberMember

Yeah my tds is 42 out of the tap. So do I just ignore the ph and consider it an untrue value and base my stocking off tds gh and kh ? Those numbers define my water as soft “ish”

8. mbkempWell Known MemberMember

Yes, ph is not a direct measure of hard or soft water. Tds is many things but most of those things are calcium, carbonate, and magnesium

9. OP
    OP

90'sNew MemberMember

My tank is cycled, what type of time frame do I have to get some fish in order to maintain the bb?
    I went to the lfs and they only had one apistogrammas which was labeled “asst” not what I was looking for and their Cory’s they only had one panda so I walked out with nothing.

Also fish stores in my area use r/o water and none of them remineralize the water, is this typical for a store ?

10. mbkempWell Known MemberMember

I’ve not seen a store use straight r/o If they are handling a lot of sensitive wild fish then it makes some sense

You can always keep feeding ammonia until you are ready to stock

I would not add Apistogramma or Cory’s to a new tank. They will need more stability

11. OP
    OP

90'sNew MemberMember

What fish would you recommend for a tank ? Taking into consideration I will be getting a pistol and Cory’s on the long run ?

12. OP
    OP

90'sNew MemberMember

For a new “tank”

13. Gourami36

Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Edit: read something wrong nevermind

14. mbkempWell Known MemberMember

Are you going to use any dither fish for the Apistogramma? If so, add them first

15. OP
    OP

90'sNew MemberMember

Yea, Do cpd’s make good dither’s?

16. mbkempWell Known MemberMember

They could be good as long as they are temp and water comparable with the apisto you chose

17. Addie42

Addie42Valued MemberMember

you should get a 3 spot gourami !!
    Or other gouramis

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice