20 Gallon Tank Stocking Ideas

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of trying to put together a nice little tank and would love some stocking ideas. It's a 20g, cycled tank with HOB filter and a heater. Right now I've got 5 peppered cory catfish, 3 of which are still pretty small and growing, and a male betta that has a pretty good temperament. I was thinking of getting some neon tetras so I could have fish at all levels of the tank, but also like the idea of harlequin rasboras. Could I do both tetras and rasboras with my existing fish or would that be too much? How many of either or/both should I get? Dimensions are 14.5"L x 26"W x 18.5"H

I also like the idea of mollies but know they can be nippy or maybe an angelfish but realize it might not be the best tank for one. Tank is not planted with live plants, but the whole back side is covered end to end in fake plants and hides. I am open to ideas!

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What temperature are you keeping the cories and betta at? Generally the peppered cories would prefer cooler water, so strictly speaking they are not that compatible temperature wise. Same goes with neons too. I think the neons and cories would be good together, but not with the betta. Go with the harlequins if you really want to continue keeping your betta with the cories and maybe keep them at 26 degrees.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't do mollies and angelfish in this tank. You do have some stocking issues with your current stock though, if you'd like to discuss it. Personally I'd fix it before adding in anymore fish.

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I keep the tank steady at 78 degrees F. That makes me sad to hear because I tried to do a lot of research before adding tankmates with my betta and kept seeing cories as recommended options on other websites ):
I really enjoy having them, how can I make them happier?

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The peppered cories need cooler water than the betta, and they need at least 6 of their own species. 78f is also too warm for the peppered cories. They also need at least a 30" long tank, as they can get up to 3" long. I would rehome the cories.

I wouldn't do the neon tetras because they need cooler water than the betta. Harlequin rasboras would work, but I would heavily plant the tank to reduce the chance of things going wrong. You could do 6-7 of them.

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The peppered cories need cooler water than the betta, and they need at least 6 of their own species. 78f is also too warm for the peppered cories. They also need at least a 30" long tank, as they can get up to 3" long. I would rehome the cories.

I wouldn't do the neon tetras because they need cooler water than the betta. Harlequin rasboras would work, but I would heavily plant the tank to reduce the chance of things going wrong. You could do 6-7 of them.
I agree with this, ideally, rehoming the cories would be best.

Also, if you want bottom dwellers with the betta, you can consider kuhli loaches. About 6 - 8 of them would be ok for a 20g.

SparklingGourami

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree with this, ideally, rehoming the cories would be best.

Also, if you want bottom dwellers with the betta, you can consider kuhli loaches. About 6 - 8 of them would be ok for a 20g.
But if your betta is aggressive, Kuhli loaches are a perfectly shaped fish to slurp up.

IME, bettas eat most of their food off of the bottom of the tank.

As for schooling fish, I would stick to smaller and less active ones. Ember tetras are smaller, but taller so a betta can’t eat it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom