Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all,
I'm looking to add some new fish to my 37g aquarium. Currently it has:
2 mollies
1 guppy
2 kuhli loaches
1 dwarf gourami

And I do realize that the guppy/loaches/mollies are supposed to be in groups, but somehow this is just how it ended up (Someone else was looking after the tank this year until now).

I'm hoping to get 1 or more algae-eaters (possibly a small pleco) and then maybe some more schooling fish or a couple larger fish or some sort.

Any ideas of some species that might work well? Sorry this is pretty vague!

Thanks!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies and Mollies don't need to be in groups. But they can mate so just be sure to have only males.
Maybe get some more loaches, then a Bristle Nose Pleco (they max out at around 6 inches) and a nice school of harlequin rasboras?

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Its really the loaches that need more added honestly. The mollies should be okay if they are the same sex but a m/ 2 female ratio is better since it will help spread the breeding aggression from the male.

You could add a BN pleco or clown but it will likely be a little cramped if the kuhlis were increased like they should. Hopefully you’re not just getting them to solve an algae issue as plecos are high bioload fish so I feel like they create messes more than they clean lol. Nerite snails however, are low bioload and also eat algae

Maybe you can do 1 angelfish? Assuming the DG won’t be aggressive with it... some people have peaceful ones and but others like me end up with a murderous one lol. He was back at the LFS no more than an hour after I got him in my tank haha.

Leah Morris

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks guys! Those are all good ideas
I actually had a pleco for years until a few months ago, so it was more just because I love those guys than for the algae
I'll definitely consider getting some more Kuhlis. I had 5 to begin with, but sadly 3 died earlier on (making me a little reluctant to get more)

I like the idea of either getting some schooling fish or the angel

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom