Stocking Ideas

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Manuel1223, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Manuel1223

Manuel1223Valued MemberMember

So right now my 30 gal. tank is almost cycled and i wanted some ideas. Size is 30 ×12×19. I have 4 black mollys and 3 red eye tetras. I know i have to add 3-5 tetras. I also want some cory catfish once i change my substrate. Amy recommendations to any cool looking fish? ( its my first tank)
    Equipement-
    aqueon Quite flow 50 250 gal per hour
    -Aqueon 200w heater
    -Fusion quiet power air pump model 200

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. fishboy345New MemberMember

You could add a few more mollys and red eye tetras to get them both to five, and I have a small school of pencilfish in my community tank which look really cool with stick like bodies and school tightly

3. Kenny777

Kenny777Well Known MemberMember

How about
    5 Mollies
    7 Red Eye Tetras
    8 Cory Cats
    2 Bolivian Rams (1m/1f)
    3 Nerite Snails
    This should work. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

4. fishboy345New MemberMember

May work but generally corys thrive in a cooler temperature (70-75F) whike rams thrive in a warmer temperature (above 80F)

5. Samuel97

Samuel97Well Known MemberMember

Depends totally on the type of corydoras. some C.aeneus would be fine with that stocking.

6. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

It depends on the species of cory. Corydoras aeneus do well in cooler temperatures, but Corydoras sterbai won't.

7. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Manuel1223Valued MemberMember

So i like darker substrate and think albino cory would look cool. They are fine between 73-79? My heater is preset at 78

8. FishFish221

Not ideal, but they can live long term in that temperature.

9. Sam1859New MemberMember

One inch per gallon rule. I wouldn't do more then 5 mollies, 5 tetras, 4-5 albino Cory and some snail just to be safe. Mollies gets 3-4 inches. Specially with new cycled tank I would add them slowly one school at a time every 2 weeks. Mollies do more waste and could spike ammonia in a new tank.

10. FishFish221

Rule one of Fishkeeping: Don't follow the one inch per gallon rule.

Corys are also schooling fish and require at least a school 6.

11. goplecos

goplecosWell Known MemberMember

The one inch per gallon rule doesn't work. With good filtration the stocking suggestion from @Kenny777 would work because Mollies and Tetras are middle to top, Rams are middle to bottom, and Corys are bottom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice