Poll closed Jul 30, 2017.
  1. 1-2 Guppies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dwarf Gourami

36.4%
  3. Apple Snail

27.3%
  4. Other (Please leave suggestion in feed)

9.1%
  5. Honey Gourami

27.3%
  1. Fisher27

Fisher27 Valued Member Member

I have a 20 gallon planted aquarium and I have 1 BN Pleco, 2 platys, and 7 Harlequin Rasboras. I was thinking to add a guppy or two OR a apple snail. Any other ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Here's a picture: IMG_0497.jpg

2. A

Amaresh Valued Member Member

Awesome Tank. How about adding a Dward Gourami

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Is it a 20 tall or long?

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

5. OP
    OP
    Fisher27

Tall

Ok. Hey, you were the one who inspired me to get more rasboras and platys! Lol

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Then, I would also rehome the BN pleco which would need a bigger footprint than a 20 tall.

7. OP
    OP
    Fisher27

In my opinion footprint doesn't matter.

8. BottomDweller

Is this a 20 tall or 20 long?

I would add a bolivian ram or a school of panda cories.

9. OP
    OP
    Fisher27

It's a tall :/

10. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Personally I do not think the footprint is as critical for a bristlenose as the actual water volume. In my opinion 20 gallons is 20 gallons when it comes to a bristlenose pleco. Regardless of the footprint. They don't swim in the water column back and forth. They go up and down the walls and on the ornaments and things like that.

As long as the filtration is good and weekly water changes at minimum, I think a 20 gallon is fine for a single bristlenose. Tall or long. If people feel a 20 gallon long is appropriate, then I think a 20 high is equally appropriate.

That's my opinion anyway.

11. BottomDweller

Then I think a bolivian ram would be great :)

12. OP
    OP
    Fisher27

I don't think my lfs has those, so how would a dwarf gourami do?

Agreed. He's thriving in there with driftwood and live plants.

13. Lchi87

Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with Biz, I used to think they needed a footprint of a 29 at least but after owning mine for awhile, his activity level would be fine for a 20, tall or long.

14. OP
    OP
    Fisher27

Guys, I am adding a poll to my thread so I would love it if you could vote please!

15. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I'd say a dwarf gourami would look nice.

You could probably get a DG and a mystery snail if you wanted to. (I assume the apple snail option in your post was referring to a mystery snail, and not a giant apple snail, right?) :)

16. OP
    OP
    Fisher27

Haha, yes that's what I meant. Should I do any modifications for the DG to feel more at home?

17. B

I think your tank looks awesome as it is. Floating plants may make some of them feel more at home, but it's not a necessity.

Honey gouramis are definitely an option too. They're really sweet fish.

18. OP
    OP
    Fisher27

Ok. I will look into both of them. Which is a harder one to take care of, and produces more waste?

19. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I just want to add that bigger is always better......but I just felt it was silly to imply that a 20 long would be ok, but not a 20 tall. I truly feel the footprint is a moot point for BN plecos. Its the number gallons that's more important.

Water volume is critical....so in a 20 you have to make sure the tank is not overstocked in other areas to compensate for the BN pleco. A pleco has a very large bio-load, so in a smaller tank, you have to take that in to account. And weekly water changes and regular filter maintenance are especially important when keeping a pleco in a smaller tank. They are poop machines.

Me personally, the smallest tank I keep them in is 29. But I don't think a 20 is so small that you would need to rehome him. Just make sure to take extra good care of the water and don't overstock the tank.

I think a gourami would look nice in there. And a mystery snail. I'd even add a couple nerites for algae control.

20. B

Eh, they're both pretty easy. They have their pros and cons. Dwarf gouramis tend to be sliiiightly more hardy, but they can have an iridovirus that eventually kills them (purchase from a good source if you get a DG!). Dwarfs also have more of a reputation for aggressive individuals, whereas most honey gouramis tend to be very mellow. Most dwarfs are good community fish, though.
    Dwarf gouramis are bigger and may show up better.

Both honey and dwarf gouramis come in a few color varieties.

I'd just pick whichever you think looks best, to be honest. Either should do well in your tank.