Stocking Ideas 75 Gallon Tank

1. Writerswife Member Member

Well, my tank didn't fare well while I wasIon vacation. Once I get it cleaned and ready to go, I'm not sure what to stock it with. 75 gallon tank with eheim profesionel 350 filter. Low tech planted with java fern, anubias, and Amazon sword. There is guppy grass, but I'm working on getting rid of it. Also have some java moss. I like community tanks and colorful fish. What to do?
  2. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

3. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

75 gallons - pretty straightfoward dimensions.

What kind of fish are you interested in OP? If you pick a centerpiece fish we can stock around that instead of throwing you random ideas.
  4. Writerswife Member Member

Dimensions are 48 x 19 x 18.

I'm not sure where to go with this tank. I've had many different tetras, a pair of Bolivian rams, mollies, dwarf gourami, bristlenose pleco, etc. I was thinking about trying Boesmani rainbow fish, but they can get expensive. I enjoyed the personality of the dwarf gourami. It used to watch everything that was going on. Really not sure where to start this time around.

Oops! 48 x 19 x 22" would be the dimensions.

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Interested in some cichlids?
  6. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

A group of angelfish would looks really good in a tank this size.

Something you're interested in?
  7. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I would do something like this

-1 Severum
    -1 EBA
    -2 GBR
    -8 Congo Tetra or 8 Bosemani Rainbows
    -10 large bodied dithers such as Lemon Tetras or Black Skirt Tetras
    -15 Sterbai Corys
    -1 Green Phantom Pleco

8. Writerswife Member Member

Thanks for the ideas! The severum looks interesting. I haven't had any cichlids yet. What is an EBA?

I was thinking about some angelfish. I've never really kept any bigger fish.
  9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do this:
    2 angelfish
    5 pearl gouramis
    1 EBA
    1 firemouth
    1 rainbow cichlid
    1 green phantom pleco
    10 boesemani rainbowfish
    15 adolfoi cories
  10. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

EBA is Electric Blue Acara

11. Writerswife Member Member

Those corys are gorgeous! They are coming up at $30, though. Yikes! Thanks for giving me a place to start. I was feeling so overwhelmed with ideas. Now to make time to get the tank going.
  12. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Try keeping an eye out for duplicareus corys instead, they're very similar to adolfoi but should be cheaper.
    A word of caution if you do come across adolfoi make sure they are actually adolfoi, as quite often they turn out to be duplicareus, confusing I know!
  13. FishyBeginner Member Member

14. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Oscars require large tanks , a flowerhorn would work in a 75g tho.
  15. Writerswife Member Member

Thanks for the stocking ideas. I investigated more and have my tank up and running again. Is there a particular order that I should add the fish in?

The boesemani will be added very slowly since they're expensive around here and the stores only have a few at a time. I will add a group of cories, but the beautiful adolfoi are out of my price range.
  16. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What about sterbai cories or albino/bronze cories instead? Skunk or sun loaches would also be a cool option.

The order in this case doesn't really matter too much imo, I'd just say it'd be best to add the firemouth and EBA last.
  17. Writerswife Member Member

I haven’t updated in ages. The tank stocking is coming right along. So far:
    2-pearl gourami
    6-rainbow fish
    10- albino corydoras
    1-albino pleno
    1-rubberlip llevo
  18. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What species is the pleco? Common?
  19. Writerswife Member Member

The “plenos” should be 1 albino bristlenose and 1-rubberlip
  20. Writerswife Member Member