Stocking Ideas? :)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Natalia666, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Natalia666

Natalia666Valued MemberMember

I have a planted 29 tall aquarium with an aquaclear 30 filter and I was wondering how I should stock it,

So far I've got:
    8 neons
    4 panda cories (+2)
    1 ghost shrimp (+5)
    2 guppies

I very unfortunately lost my fish due to the filter clogging suddenly and nitrites poisoning the fish and making them sick :( I have now treated the tank since and they are doing much better and seem healthy. It will be a while until I get more fish (other than the shrimp and cories I must get) but I like to plan out in advance so I know price range and such.

Also: I am looking to have a peaceful community tank

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

I would add a couple more neons, a nerite snail or two, and a single dwarf cichlid (like a Bolivian ram, keyhole, or laetacara curviceps) :)

3. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

What are the dimensions of the tank? And what kind of corys do you have?

Also, are your parameters under control since the nitrite spike? What are the numbers for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nirate? I'm curious why you would have to treat the fish if it were water parameters that made them sick? Just want to be sure water quality is in check before you add more fish. It would be unfortunate if you lost any more. :)

4. OP
    OP
    Natalia666

dimensions are: 30 length, 12 depth, 18.5 height
    I have panda cories

pH is 6.7
    ammonia is 0
    nitrites is 0
    nitrates is 0
    I treated the fish because they had gotten cottonmouth
    And I am waiting to add more fish, just wanting to plan beforehand :)

5. BetrayerWell Known MemberMember

What do you use to test your water parameters? In a cycled tank, it would be unusual to have 0 nitrates.

6. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

I'd double the number of corys to around 8-10. You could also do the same with the neons or add another schooling species like harlequin rasboras. A dwarf gourami or sunset thick-lipped gourami for the top would be nice and as previously mentioned you could add a dwarf cichlid or a couple of peacock gudgeons.

7. OP
    OP
    Natalia666

API liquid test kit

8. BetrayerWell Known MemberMember

The instructions for the nitrate test are very specific and involve A LOT of shaking. For a little while, I hadn't been doing it quite right and was getting a false nitrate reading.
    These are great ideas. You can decide if you would prefer to have one large school of neons or if you would prefer the look of two smaller, separate schools. I have Harlequins and love them. They are pretty, very peaceful, and school nicely together. I also have one honey gourami and really enjoy it. My tank is the same size and dimensions as yours.

9. OP
    OP
    Natalia666

Thank you everyone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice