Stocking ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by deon junior, Aug 2, 2015.

1. d

deon junior Valued Member Member

Hey guys, first post in a while, I've got a new 182 litre tank busy cycling. I'm pretty set on a pair on Kribs and a few Keyhole cichlids. Any other suggestions?

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Maybe a school of larger sized tetra? Buenos Aires, Serpae, Diamond, etc

3. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I probablywouldntadd anything, cichlids need some space to move around.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? I disagree with the above post, a normal 48 gallon will have plenty of space for a pair of cichlids and schools of fish.

5. Plecomaker

You misread. Not a pair of cichlids, several cichlids!

6. Anders247

I know what it said, but those are bottom fish. A school of, for example, hatchetfish or rainbowfish, will likely not be in the way. But I wouldn't do cories or loaches.....

But on what he said, I wouldn't get a "few" (3 or more?) keyholes. I would only get 2.

7. Plecomaker

t
    Thats what i was saying. If there were like 4 keyholes plus a pair of something else, i wouldnt add more.

8. OP
    OP
    d

I think I might give the keyholes a miss. Think I'm gonna go along the lines of something like this

School of danios (zebras and leapords)
    Pair of Kribs
    6 Panda Corys
    1 Pearl Gourami

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't do a pair of Kribs with corys, if the kribs decide to breed corys have no concept of territory & kribs will defend theirs vigorously possibly resulting in injured corys.
    The danios & panda corys also wouldn't like the warmer temperature the kribs prefer.

10. OP
    OP
    d

Yea fair enough about the corys. I've kept Danios in outside ponds as well as tropical tanks so the temp shouldn't bother them

11. Anders247

It's not about it bothering them, they will have a shorter lifespan in higher temps....

12. OP
    OP
    d

Any recommendations on a small schooling fish then?

13. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

There are lots of small tetras or rasboras that would work! Rummynose, cardinal, lampeye, black neon, skirt, etc.

14. Plecomaker

If youlike the general body shape and sizeof small danios, rummynose are a good option, not exactly the same, but fill a similar niche

15. OP
    OP
    d

I'm liking the rummy noses. How big of a school will fit in the tank with the kribs and a gourami in the tank? (180L and 130cm long)

16. Anders247

I would do 12. You could probably do up to 15, too, imo.....

17. OP
    OP
    d

Could I do a school of 12 Rummy nose and 12 Black Neons with just the pair of Kribs

18. Anders247

Yes, imo.

19. Plecomaker

Should be ok,black neonsdont take much space.
    Id stop there though.

20. OP
    OP
    d

Thanks for the advice guys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice