Stocking Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Tman2902, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Tman2902

Tman2902 Valued Member Member

So this tank has not even been cycled let alone filled with anything and with any luck will probably be started in the span of 1 to 4 years from now. The tank is a 90 gallon which is the largest I have ever owned and so lets dream of future stocking options. However please note I am not looking to over stock or even get close to filling it completely with fish.
    Little info on the tank first its dimensions are a standard 90 gallon. 48 Long, 24, High, 18 Wide. For filtration I will be using 2 smaller canister filters, an eheim 2213 and a fluval 304 (older but still works). Sand substrate and rocks and driftwood throughout the tank with potential some terracotta pots here and there. And now to the stocking!

Bottom (planing the tank to be heavily planted with java moss and java ferns and other hardy low light plants)
    1x Albino Bristle Nose Pleco (assuming the one in my position is still around)
    1x Raphael Catfish (love the look and personality of these interesting fish)

Bottom-Middle
    12 or more Tiger barbs (these guys are a must in the tank seeing how I quite like them)

Centerpiece/Largest Fish
    1x Jewel Cichlid/Jewel Jaw/Jewel fish

And that would be it. So know some of my thoughts on this set up. I was thinking that the BN and Raphael would be my bottom scavengers since I am not a fan of corydoras could be because I have never had them before. The tiger barbs would be tiger barbs. Not much to say there the little fin nippers they are, hence the short fin fish in the stocking list. Now the wild card the Jewel Cichlid, this guy is optional he could be swapped out with another largish cichlid. My thoughts were that since these guys get aggressive when breading than keeping one would prevent the spread of the anger. Could do 1 or 2 firemouths or maybe on blood parrot. Was thinking if I keep the cichlid in the 6inch range than it would have difficulty eating some of the smaller fish, in my mind I was thinking of the tiger barbs at the time since they are pretty small. However they are fast swimmers and schooling fish so I thought that might increase their odds of being compatible with a medium sized cichlid.
    So that was a lot of talking on my part, now it is time to hear what the community thinks.
    Thanks for your input!
    -T

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  2. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

You could go large and get a red severum. I just got one for my 55, and have read that they do not bother most fish including cories which in my tank would be the smallest fish at 2.5". Everything else will be 3-4" minus the angelfish that will get like 7". The red severums get to a max of 10" from what I have read and they are relatively peaceful. Just a thought. I love the way they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Tman2902 Valued Member Member

I also like severums especially the red severums however they have longer fins which the tiger barbs may attempt to nip hence why I did not mention them. Unless you guys think a severum would not be bothered by the tiger barbs.
    Thanks for the post.
    -T

4. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I think the tiger barbs would leave it alone if it was large enough. The fins aren't super long IMO. Not like angelfish or a lyretail Molly.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice