Stocking ideas....

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by markgreen1984, Jul 25, 2015.

1. markgreen1984New MemberMember

Hi all,

My 90 litre AR 620 tank is set up and I have transferred my fish from a smaller 30litre tank successfully. I have a type of bog wood (more roots than bog wood), several types of plants and a gravel substrate.

Current stock:
    3 male guppies
    2 female platy
    1 bronze Cory (not sure on sex)
    3 diamond tetra (not sure on sex)
    Multiple snails

Other than the obvious female guppy, male platy, what else could I get that would be ok for my current stock, and tank size/set up?? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437811817.624378.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

First I'd up the numbers of the diamond tetra & bronze corys to at least 6 of each to complete the schools.
    If you want female guppies then as you already have 3 males you'd need to add them in a ratio of at least two females to every male, a single female would be constantly harassed possibly resulting in her death.
    Bear in mind those females can drop in excess of 30 fry every month so you could soon be overstocked.

3. markgreen1984New MemberMember

Would the diamond tetra eat the guppy fry?

4. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Yes.

5. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Most fish will eat fry if they can catch them & they fit in their mouths

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Agreed with Coradee, I'd up the groups of tetras and cories to 6 of their own species.
    Then I'd add a pearl gourami or two and a pair of dwarf cichlids.

7. markgreen1984New MemberMember

Update - I think I have 1 diamond Tetra fry! fingers crossed it survives. I also had 4 cardinal tetra and 1 Siamese fighter fish donated, so these have been added...

8. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

A betta might not be a good idea in your tank. They can be pretty aggressive and often don't do well in community tanks.

9. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

They're called fighting fish for a reason.... they will likely fight with the guppies and the tetras.

10. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

A 2.5 gallon for the betta with heater and filter isn't all that expensive and would save a lot of headaches and frustration down the road... Just saying.

11. markgreen1984New MemberMember

Betta seems ok so far. Doesn't seem to take much notice of any of the other fish. Nor the other fish of him/her. I read they only fight if it's 2 males and generally ignore other fish? If that changes I have a spare 30litre I can set up for it.
    Thanks for the advice!

12. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

From what I've heard on this forum, they'll be peaceful one day and kill fish the next. If it were me, I wouldn't risk it.

13. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

They may ignore the fish for a while and then one day attack them all. That's what's happened to many members on here.

14. markgreen1984New MemberMember

Thanks for the heads up! I will keep an eye on them. Possibly set the other tank up next week.

15. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Sounds good.

16. markgreen1984New MemberMember

Beta moved to its own tank. The Diamond Tetra took a fancy to its fin. Ideas to what I can get to put with the Beta now? So it doesn't get too bored on its own?

17. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You could do a snail? Shrimp may be eaten by your betta and there aren't any fish that would work with a betta in a small tank.

18. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The bigger Amano shrimps may work, or maybe a ghost shrimp. But again, it all depends on the personality of every individual betta.

19. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I'd do a nerite snail..... and a colony of cherry shrimp. I wouldn't be concerned about it being bored, mine is by itself and is fine.

20. markgreen1984New MemberMember

I had a diamond tetra fry... Lasted about 2 weeks, not seen it for a few days now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice