Stocking Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Tman2902, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Tman2902

Tman2902 Valued Member Member

Hello
    This is my first post so sorry in advance if I mess up.

I have had bettas for a while, all of their tanks have java moss which is the reason for this post. I have put together a 10 gallon tank to hold the overgrown moss that I have taken out of the betta's set ups. So I was thinking of fish I could put in this tank. My lfs does not have many types of tetras or killis so they are off the table also due to the fact that the lfs will not be ordering in new stock till September or until they have sufficient room for another order. The tank currently has substrate which can stay or go, and an eheim classic 250 hooked up to it. I also have a heater on hand if need be.
    I am open to many types of fish however I would prefer something that does not hide. I was hoping to get something different than a betta.

Thanks

-T

ps. not a fan of cory cats

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

3. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

So I was looking down the list and cherry shrimp caught my eye. Got any recommendations when it comes to them? If not that what are your opinions on pea puffers? Keeping in mind my limited experience with aquariums.

Thanks for the link by the way.

-T

4. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Cherry shrimp are nice...they like to climb around on plants, so you'll want to be planted.

I wouldn't mix different types of shrimp, though. Ghost shrimp, for instance, will kill your cherries.

5. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

The tank was set up as an over grow from my betta's set ups so the little guys will have plenty to climb on. Will ghost shrimp breed in the tank?

6. Dom90

Yes most likely. You'll want to talk to kidster9700 about ghost shrimps. To me, she's very knowledgeable about ghost shrimps in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

ghost shrimp very rarely (unless someone out there has a different experience) breed in freshwater. i've had it happen, though. if you want them to breed you would be more successful with brackish.

EDIT: cherries however breed readily in freshwater setups.

8. ClearEyes

When I got my ghost shrimp, 3 of them were absolutely bursting at the belly with bright green eggs in my freshwater tank. Never once saw a single baby.

9. Dom90

Could the eggs have died after they were laid?

10. ClearEyes

Either that, or eaten. Their tankmates are absolute pigs. I wasn't trying to breed them though, so I didn't mind.

11. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

just because they have the eggs doesn't mean they will get fertilized. shrimp carry eggs all the time.

12. octopanda

octopanda Well Known Member Member

regarding the pea puffers, they are best in species only tanks, they require live foods (although some will take frozen) and they are very aggressive, will eat all snails, and are very sensitive to ammonia, etc...

But cherry shrimps are great! they are really interesting to watch.

13. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

So the game plan is to get some cherry shrimp. Start with 3-4 and let them stock the tank for me. To prevent inbreeding issues would it be ok to mix some from several stores?
    Also my light I was using just up and decided to die so now I am looking at new low tech options, nothing fancy since the tank will only have shrimp and moss.
    So I was looking about and some people say that you can use desk lamps with cfl bulbs. All opinions and ideas are helpful!

Thanks everyone.

-T

14. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Are you talking about mixing different species? Or getting cherries from several stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

All cherries from different stores.

16. m

mcpumpkin Valued Member Member

I'd start with more cherry shrimp, probably up to 10 for your first stock to make sure you have males and females. They should breed pretty fast with all that moss.

CFL daylight bulbs work great for low tech tanks!

17. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Thanks for the info! The tank is cycling and I will post pics Monday when I get my light (or once it arrives)!
    Thanks again

-T

18. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Yes, the link in post number one will help you...
    With cherry shrimp EricV and Dolfan can help. They are easy to keep and breed.

19. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

If a shrimp is carrying eggs (berried) they are already fertilized. The eggs are fertilized as they leave the saddle.

The reason ghost shrimp don't breed as readily is that they hatch into a larval stage (unlike cherry shrimp which hatch into miniature versions of adults) where they usually succumb to predation or starvation.

20. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Stand

Well the tank is cycling so we will see what happens! I will be stocking 10 to 15 cherry shrimp once the tank is ready!
    Ps I just got a 55 without a stand and posted a thread regarding it your guys imput would be much appreciated!

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/showthread.php?t=201556

And thanks again for all the help!

-T

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice