stocking ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Tessa, Dec 30, 2012.

1. T

Tessa New Member Member

Hey :)

Stocking a 29 gallon (110 litre) tank, fully cycled.
    Slightly soft water and low ph.

I already have 4 zebra danios, 6 bronze corys and 2 adf

I was thinking of adding 6 cardinal tetras and a Bolivian ram (or 2 if a pair is better?)
    I wanted guppies but think that I'd be overstocked..

Does this sound ok? Any different suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

African dwarf frogs do best in smaller, preferably species-only, tanks. A 29 is really just too high for them, and they'll have troubles getting to the surface for air.

I'd say get four more zebras so they'll be less nippy. Then you could go ahead and get the cardinals and a pair of bolivians.

You might be able to get a couple guppies after that if you keep up on your water changes

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. OP
    OP
    T

Tessa New Member Member

Thanks!

The tank isn't very high and the frogs seem to be able to quickly reach the top so hopefully they'll be ok.

I heard the rams can be aggressive in groups, would I be ok with 2 or 3 then?

4. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree on the frogs part but if they are doing ok and eating well its worth trying, just keep an eye on it.

As for the rams, I would look into a M/F pair. They can get a bit bullyish durring mating times but other than that they are decent around the tank.

I also agree on upping the group of Zebras to help calm them down a bit before adding the cardinals. Really your talking all small fish so bio load isnt my concern its swimming space that I worry more about in a tank like that.

5. J

John14 Valued Member Member

I find in tropical community tank smaller species of Gourami seem to be a really nice finishing touch. You have a nice mix of top water and bottom water fish. I'm not sure what an "adf" is. I would buy 2-3 more Zebra Danios and 1 Dwarf Gourami, that should fill your tank out very nicely.

6. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

ADF, African Dwarf Frog or is it Albino Dwarf Frog, I forget, but either way its a frog lol.

7. OP
    OP
    T

Tessa New Member Member

Add a dwarf gourami as well as the rams?

So:
    6+ zebra danios
    6 cardinals
    6 corys
    2 African dwarf frogs
    2 Bolivian rams
    1 dwarf gourami

Does that sound overcrowded?

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

I don't think the frogs will be able to get enough to eat.

I don't think it's overcrowded.

9. OP
    OP
    T

Tessa New Member Member

Thanks

Ill keep an eye on the frogs, they seem to hold their own though. I thought they might be shy but they usually get plenty of food and even try and nip any fish that get too close.

How about a red honey gourami as opposed to a dwarf gourami?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice