Stocking Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ronster486, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ronster486New MemberMember

I'm going to be purchasing a 29 gallon tank for a freshwater community tank. I have been out of the hobby for approximately 2 years due to my realization that I did not have enough time to responsibly manage a tank. I'm pleased to say I have more time and am enthusiastic to get back into fish-keeping.

That being said, here are the fish/aquatic pets that I have the most interest in:

White Cloud Mountain Minnow
    Ghost Shrimp
    Tetras (excluding the Neon variety)

And I would like to have some sort of "centerpiece" fish or two.

As long as I have a colorful collection of fish, I will be pleased.

Thanks in advanced.

2. Marine ManValued MemberMember

You should get a few angel fish! They are wonderful to center or base your tank around. You should also get a nice cory cat. They eat up lots of that is missed by other fish

3. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Angelfish should not be kept in a 29 gallon tank - they need bigger tanks. Cory cats are a fine idea but they like groups of six or so, not just one - however, cories are very social, peaceful, and fun (though not very colorful). I may be the wrong person to give advice on centerpiece fish, since my centerpiece fish is an albino longfin bristlenose pleco (my guess would be most people would not call that a centerpiece fish :). For colorfulness, have you considered glofish - we are quite fond of ours.

4. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

:animal0068: Hi, I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions forum.

For moral reasons, I do not recommend glofish (please read up about them and make your own decision) ;)

Angels could be ok in a 29, but personally I'd prefer to see them in a 55. Ideally your tank should be a bit taller if considering Angels.

5. fishtankguyNew MemberMember

i like the idea of some schools with some a center piece. how about
    6 or 7 corie cats
    a school of red eye tetras
    a school of another tetra(whatever looks good to you)
    and some honey or dwarf gouramis? i have a pair of honeys in my 10 gallon with a betta and they are great! ina 29 with those fish would look great! do you plan on having live plants?

6. OP
    OP
    r

ronster486New MemberMember

I'll be purchasing the Top Fin 29 gallon aquarium, so I didn't think Angelfish would be suitable; later down the road I may purchase a larger aquarium to keep them in. I'm not too fond of glofish either.

I don't think I'll try live plants because I'm unfamiliar with managing them and don't want my tank to get wrecked if I made a mistake with them. If someone has suggestions for easy to manage live plants, I would definitely consider adding them.

I definitely like the Tetra idea. It's just there are so many of them to pick from. Would this work in a 29 gallon aquarium?

School of 6 small tetra (not convinced on a specific)
    School of 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
    School of some kind of scavenger like Ghost Shrimp or small catfish
    Centerpiece like a Dwarf Gourami, Female Betta, or Swordtail?

7. mrgooglsValued MemberMember

White clouds are a coldwater fish. I dont know alot about them but I don't think they will work with tropical fish. You can defiantly have shrimp with tetras. Most catfish get big except cories.

8. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

I have Java Fern live plants, and they are very easy to manage. They grow rather slowly, can live in low light conditions. They are not supposed to be burried, but rather attached to drift wood or rock with the rhizome left not burried. They do not require special fertilizer. They propagate via small offshoots at edge of leaf, kind of like the non-aquatic Spider plant. I like this plant - it's supposed to be really low maintenance, and it looks nice.

9. Heather12404Valued MemberMember

I had a 29G until about a week ago when I upgraded to a 60G. Here's what I had in my 29G:
    Harlequin Rasboras - beautiful copper color and a black porkchop, great personality
    Orange Flame Tetras - pretty yellow and orange, different body shape than a Rasbora
    Neon Tetras
    Panda Cories - love them, love them, love them!
    German Blue Ram
    German Gold Ram
    Dwarf Gourami
    Mystery Snails
    Dwarf Crayfish - most awesome critter ever!

10. OP
    OP
    r

ronster486New MemberMember

So I think I'm going to cut the idea for White Cloud Mountain Minnows because they don't really seem suitable for a tropical tank. I have grown to like Otocinclus' and wouldn't mind having a few of them in my tank along with a school of Tetras, a school of some other small community fish, and a centerpiece like the Dwarf Gourami; however, I'm concerned that I would be overstocking my tank at that point.

I'm definitely sold on a school of Tetras and very likely to get some Ghost Shrimp, but I'm not sure what (1) my centerpiece and (2) my other school would be.

11. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Since you mention Otocinclus, are you aware that Otos are very sensitive / often have trouble acclimating to a new environment, and that it is not infrequent that an Oto may die in the first month? Just mentioning this because I also looked at Otos as an option and decided against them for this reason.

12. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum

There are lots of "tropical" fish that you can keep the WCMMs with - people assume that their tropical fish need 80 degree water and it's just not so. There are some fish that do need the water at a minimum of 80, but they are a small minority. For most, 75 is perfectly fine.

I agree, otos should be one of the last fish you add, if you do.

I would stay away from the dwarf gourami and get honeys or a thick lip instead.

13. Lexi03Well Known MemberMember

Here is th current and planned stockings of my 30 gal, maybe it will give you some ideas:

Current:

5 guppies (currently 1 male and 4 females, but I have kept 6 males in here in the past with nofemales)
    6 neon tetras ( there are others you may like better that stay smallish)
    7albino corys
    Red cherry shrimp ( started with 20)

Planned stocking

10 green fire tetras
    1 pair orange flash cockatoo cichlids
    1 clown pleco

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice