40 Gallon Tank Stocking ideas please

SooSing

Attachments

• 71907168-4167-4518-A3B3-5329C385A478.jpeg
    71907168-4167-4518-A3B3-5329C385A478.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 54

MacZ

Looking at how low the waterline is, you could try hatchetfish. Corys would then complete the community imo.

Also, love the scape. Simple but great and aesthetically pleasing.

SooSing

Looking at how low the waterline is, you could try hatchetfish. Corys would then complete the community imo.

Also, love the scape. Simple but great and aesthetically pleasing.
Thanks for replying! I hear hatchetfish are jumpers? I don’t really have a cover...

MissNoodle

Theyd need to be temperature compatible with the german blue rams, who *need* over 80F. Most cories can't go this warm.

SterbaI corydoras could. Or Emerald Cory (theyre really brochis)

I believe DG can't do that temperature either.

SooSing

Theyd need to be temperature compatible with the german blue rams, who *need* over 80F. Most cories can't go this warm.

SterbaI corydoras could. Or Emerald Cory (theyre really brochis)

I believe DG can't do that temperature either.
Ok, happy not to go with Corys. Yes, I need to make sure fish are temp compatible! What’s DG?

MissNoodle

Ok, happy not to go with Corys. Yes, I need to make sure fish are temp compatible! What’s DG?
Dwarf gourami.

Though there could be other more compatible gourami... but I know the more common small ones wouldnt be compatible with higher temps.

If you want bottom dwellers that could work temp wise, you could do a group of kuhlI or java loaches.

But if your rams decide to spawn, they could get nasty to other bottom dwellers potentially. It may be good to stick with the rams and the bristlenose for your bottom fish.

That said, there are also Bolivian rams, theyre less delicate and need cooler temps. Unless you are set on the German blue rams.

MacZ

Thanks for replying! I hear hatchetfish are jumpers? I don’t really have a cover...

Yes they are. I assumed from your pic that your tank has a cover.

Otocinclus13

A classic combo is German blue rams, cardinal tetra, rummynose tetra, and sterbaI corys. They all do well at 82-84 degrees, plus that will give you a ton of color and action at all levels. Rummies aren't the flashiest fish on their own, but look up youtube videos- their schooling action is unreal! Also, if you're comitted to hot-water fish, you can look into electric blue rams, gold rams (my personal favorites), and black knight rams. They're all different color varieties of the German blue ram. It's nice to have options. Good luck- sounds like you'll have a fantastic tank soon! Can't go wrong with GBR!!

jinjerJOSH22

Dwarf gourami.

Though there could be other more compatible gourami... but I know the more common small ones wouldnt be compatible with higher temps.

If you want bottom dwellers that could work temp wise, you could do a group of kuhlI or java loaches.

But if your rams decide to spawn, they could get nasty to other bottom dwellers potentially. It may be good to stick with the rams and the bristlenose for your bottom fish.

That said, there are also Bolivian rams, theyre less delicate and need cooler temps. Unless you are set on the German blue rams.
Moonlight Gourami and Pearl Gourami both do well in warmer temperatures but grow between 4 and 7 inches, 6 being more common.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
DuaneV
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank Stocking Jungle Tank
Replies
Views