Stocking Ideas Please :)

Crapapples

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a tank that is 64 litres / 16 gallon, fully cycled with a fluval U2 running on it at the moment (400L per hour). I was keen to get 2 Oranda but looking on AqAdvisor it's suggested I would need more filtration so will give them a miss.

Other thoughts are 2 female / 1 male dwarf gourami OR 3/4 balloon mollies. Reservations on the mols in case they breed and I take a male in error.

Any other suggestions that I am missing? I am looking for cheeky fish, I like them pestering me at the glass and being a bit naughty (not aggressive).

Don't think I am looking for a group of fish, I quite like 2 or 3 on their own. Or, do I go for another Betta?

Any suggestions welcome. Ideally something quite colourful or one solid colour. I had one of my Betta in there and couldnt see him at all against the black background He's navy blue and it was like hunt the thimble to see him!

PH 7.2

Heated tank - can change to suit without problem although the room keeps the tank at a minimum of 26 degrees as I am a central heating lover!

Tank will be done to suit the fish and their habitat so completely empty at the moment apart from gravel but generally like only natural, no plastic so will likely be planted or wood but the light isn't great for plants for some reason

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Personally, I would do either killifish or pygmy sunfish. Pygmy sunfish are U.S. natives, and can be shy, but once they learn that you mean food, they were so personable! You do have to feed frozen food, though. The males have great colors, and they do a little dance to attract mates. The fry are not easily seen, and the older fish will eat them if there are enough fish in the tank already. They stay around 2cm, but some species are bigger, some smaller. If you do pygmy sunfish, then you probably wouldn't have to worry about restocking your tank, but they do better when kept in a species-only tank, or with a couple other rare species.
Killies are more common in the hobby, and can be more colorful depending on the species. You can get either annual, or nonannual. The annual killies do have a lifespan of 6mos-18mos, but you can buy dried eggs, and then put them in the water and experience the full life cycle. Nonannual killies are not eggdryers, so you can't buy the eggs and then raise them, but they tend to last around 2-3 years. I've found that mixing annual killie species can lead to aggression, so you'd want to pick one and stick with it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom