Stocking ideas needed

Kentowen

I have a 38 gal bow front and looking to add some color and activity. Current tank mates: 1-dwarf gourami 6-rasboras 5-assorted mollies 1-pleco Any suggestions on what would be cool to add and how many? This is my first tank, I’ve had it for about 6 months.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
What type of pleco and rasboras?
I would increase the number of rasboras to 8.
A small school of neon or cardinal tetras might work. They stay relatively small and are both quite colorful and active. You could do maybe 7-8.

OP
Kentowen

Kentowen

Thanks for replying! Harlequin rasboras and got the pleco from petsmart 5 months ago and he’s seemed to max out at 6” long...I hope. Not sure what kind he is. I thought about neons then read they tend to get sick?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Kentowen said:
Thanks for replying! Harlequin rasboras and got the pleco from petsmart 5 months ago and he’s seemed to max out at 6” long...I hope. Not sure what kind he is. I thought about neons then read they tend to get sick?
Could you give me a pic of the pleco?
Neons do sometimes tend to get sick because of how overbred they are which weakens their immune systems and makes them more susceptible to disease.
Cardinals might be a better choice.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
I've had trouble with neons and cardinals. It would be difficult to say which was worse (that's just me; others will likely have other experiences).

Mii

If I'm not mistaken that is a common pleco and will grow 2 feet, you should probably ask you fish store if they can re-home it, at it will become way to big for your tank. I'd replace it with a bristlenose or rubberlip pleco which will stay at 6 inches. In terms of other stocking options I'd get 2 more female dwarf gouramis as they are a social fish, but males can be very aggressive towards each other so i wouldn't recommend keeping multiple males. You could also get an apistogramma cichlid which will live near the bottom of the tank meanwhile the dwarf gourami will live near the top so they probably won't fight. although u wouldn't get a whole lot more fish as mollies get to be like 4 inches.

Tscott667

Kentowen said:
This is my pleco being photo bombed by a molly. I like the cardinals but have read they can be even harder to keep than the neons?
Where do you get those types of rocks and what are they? I'm trying to find a semi cheap way to get some more elevation in my 55 gallon aquarium.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Kentowen said:
This is my pleco being photo bombed by a molly. I like the cardinals but have read they can be even harder to keep than the neons?
Different people have different opinions about them. I would choose cardinals over neons any day not only because I (personally) find them hardier than neons, but also because their colors are more vibrant.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
AquaticQueen said:
Different people have different opinions about them. I would choose cardinals over neons any day not only because I (personally) find them hardier than neons, but also because their colors are more vibrant.
That's an excellent point. I'd personally choose black neon tetras over either of them, but that's just my preference. The colors are more subtle, but in my opinion just as attractive, and for me they've been pretty much bullet proof.

OP
Kentowen

Kentowen

Mii said:
If I'm not mistaken that is a common pleco and will grow 2 feet, you should probably ask you fish store if they can re-home it, at it will become way to big for your tank. I'd replace it with a bristlenose or rubberlip pleco which will stay at 6 inches. In terms of other stocking options I'd get 2 more female dwarf gouramis as they are a social fish, but males can be very aggressive towards each other so i wouldn't recommend keeping multiple males. You could also get an apistogramma cichlid which will live near the bottom of the tank meanwhile the dwarf gourami will live near the top so they probably won't fight. although u wouldn't get a whole lot more fish as mollies get to be like 4 inches.
I should have done more research before buying the pleco at Petsmart. I think the sales person said it wouldn’t get more than 6”, I should have known better. Now, of course, I’m kind of attached to him. I had four other dwarf flame gouramis over the last 6 months that one by one died (also from Petsmart) so I’ve given up on them. Petsmart is selling bad fish in my opinion because I take very good care of my tank but it’s my only option anywhere near by. Has anyone had any experience in ordering online and having fish shipped?

AquaticQueen said:
I do like the cardinals colors. Thanks for your advice!

Tscott667 said:
Where do you get those types of rocks and what are they? I'm trying to find a semi cheap way to get some more elevation in my 55 gallon aquarium.
That is a fake rock from Petsmart so it wasn’t cheap, like $80

FishBoy101

Well Known
Kentowen said:
I should have done more research before buying the pleco at Petsmart. I think the sales person said it wouldn’t get more than 6”, I should have known better. Now, of course, I’m kind of attached to him. I had four other dwarf flame gouramis over the last 6 months that one by one died (also from Petsmart) so I’ve given up on them. Petsmart is selling bad fish in my opinion because I take very good care of my tank but it’s my only option anywhere near by. Has anyone had any experience in ordering online and having fish shipped?
I have, it normally goes well, just do it when not to hot nor to cold. Also get it from a reliable source.

OP
Kentowen

Kentowen

FishBoy101 said:
I have, it normally goes well, just do it when not to hot nor to cold. Also get it from a reliable source.
Who have you bought from in the past?

Mii

Your locally owned fish stores are almost always better than the big chain stores like petco and patsmart, if you have any nearby you should consider going to them instead. If you want to keep that common pleco you'll need to spend a lot of money. And i mean like a whole heckin' lot. When it gets bigger you'll eventually need a 150 gallon tank, and with tanks that big you'll need an aquarium stand, which can he very expensive, sometimes more than the actual tank setup. It will also eat plants so don't keep those with it.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Kentowen said:
i just ordered 10 cardinal tetras from Aqua Huna, they arrived in 4 days only one DOA and they refund you for DOAs i QTd them for 2 weeks. and now they are in my main tank perfectly fine

New Threads