Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Stocking Ideas Needed For 23 Gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Bama, Apr 20, 2019.

1. BamaValued MemberMember

I have a 23 gallon Fluval Vista. Plants include Amazon Sword, Hygrophila Compacta Fan, Italian Val, Java Fern and Hornwart. Also have some rocks and driftwood. Tank is fully cycled.

Currently I have 6 zebra danios and 2 fire red dwarf gouramis. All are happy and healthy.

I have a couple of ideas to finish stocking -
    8 cardinal tetras, 1 angelfish, 1 bristlenose pleco
    Or
    6 peacock gudgeons, 1 angelfish and ?

I plan to get the angelfish quarter sized and realize I'll have to rehome it after a while, but I just love angelfish!

Do you see problems or have suggestions? I would appreciate any input!

2. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I think that if you add 1 bristlenose pleco, and 1 anglefish, you should be good!!:):)

3. BamaValued MemberMember

That is actually a great idea! Thanks!

4. JChiValued MemberMember

I have a fluval vista tank too! I love the tank! It's a nice pretty tank.

I have 7 guppies in it right now, and one cory. Getting more corys soon. I am truly in love with these little guys. =)

5. BamaValued MemberMember

I was thinking of corys instead of bristlemouth. Still not decided...:confused:

6. LtribNew MemberMember

Corys are fun to watch and stay pretty busy. My bristlenose works it's way around the tank but can also hide pretty good.

7. BamaValued MemberMember

I have gravel substrate. Isn't that supposed to be bad for corys! I love watching them in the fish store though! They're so busy! :)

8. BamaValued MemberMember

Love my tank too. It's a good size for me. I'd love to see a picture of yours!

9. JChiValued MemberMember

I did switch my tank to sand so I could get them. I am super curious about plecos, but I fell in love with a little pepper cory so I got him and am now on the hunt for friends for him. Attaching a photo of my tank - yes, there is a purple plant, and yes, there is a tetra glofish. I have a 7yo daughter. I hate the Glofish, but, it's a family tank and they are family pets, so I caved. I'm trying to talk her into ditching the purple plant....wish me luck on that one.

10. BamaValued MemberMember

I think your tank looks great! What is that reddish plant on the left? I want one of those!

Oh, you should see my grandson's tank. It has a big bright purple artificial plant and SpongeBob! :rolleyes:

11. JChiValued MemberMember

LOL!! We started our community tank after we lost her 4.5 yo betta fish. It was an aggressive fish named hearts who used to spend all day hanging out in a pink castle. So we upgraded to our first community tank after he passed.

The reddish plant is super cool. I found it on Amazon, took a risk and I must say, it's amazing. It's a type of Dwarf Water Lily When I got it a month ago it was just a bulb with some sad leaves. I removed the sad leaves and stuck it in the tank. It's gone crazy ever since.

12. BamaValued MemberMember

Well, if it does well in your tank, it should in mine! I'm going to get one! Just love the color!

13. CrispiiValued MemberMember

I would not add an angelfish in that size of a tank.

14. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

15. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

I wouldn't put an angelfish in less than 50 gallons
    maybe you could do a bunch of endlers and shrimp
    or a pea puffer community (5/6). The way I stock tanks seem to be unappealing to most that want layers of swimmers lol

and yea, if you want bottom swimmer cories would be better than BN

16. CrispiiValued MemberMember

I feel like a 23 gallon is too small for them, and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting leopoldi in it. Common angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) require a tank size of at least a 30 gallon. If you can provide a large aquarium for them, that'll be great!

17. BamaValued MemberMember

I got a very small angelfish a couple of days ago, but the fish store said that I can return him (her?) if or when he gets too big for the tank. I asked the guy how fast they grow and he said pretty fast, whatever that means, lol. So I'm hoping for at least a year with him. I call him Bob and he's got lots of personality!

18. CrispiiValued MemberMember

Just make sure you don't stunt his growth.

19. BamaValued MemberMember

I didn't know that could happen. What do I do to prevent it? :(

20. CrispiiValued MemberMember

Get a large tank.