Stocking ideas freshwater aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by jinnix, Aug 5, 2015.

1. j

jinnix New Member Member

Hey everyone. I've been doing a lot of research and now I feel like I'm stuck back at the beginning. Any ideas or advice would be wonderful. I'm currently running a 20lg freshwater tank and I've got four zebra danios, two long-finned leopard danios, and one accidental feeder guppy. The idea was to add in some Mickey Mouse platys and some neon tetras. We've decided against the neons because we hear they're so difficult to keep, and I'm currently thinking about cardinal tetras instead. I've also become aware of what exactly a livebearer is. As much as I love the little platies, my heart would break if I witnessed one of the little babies get eaten (I'm a wuss), and I simply don't have time to take care of the fry. My first thought is to get a small school of all females and hope that either aren't pregnant or hope I don't witness the ones that are.
    But now we're thinking about scrapping the plan altogether and coming up with new fish. All we have to work with are the danios and the baby guppy, all of whom we are rather attached to. We have our water tested every week and have had everything within parameters. We're hoping for a colorful and lively tank. Any ideas anyone has would be much appreciated

Thank you!

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

How long has it been set up? Is it cycled? If it's only been set up for a short time don't add cardinals as they need an established tank.

3. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If your heart is set on platy's then get all males. I have 2 male platy's in my tank and they are fine together.

4. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

The tank has been running for about two months and we haven't lost a fish in three weeks. I'm not positive how long the cycling process takes

I heard that the males will fight each other, is that not true? We were hoping for a small school around five. We're big Disney fans so it fits for us haha

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  5. Anders247

Sounds like it's cycled to me. But do you have a test kit? (liquid, as strips are inaccurate)

6. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

Not of our own, but we take it to our (very respectable) LFS every week and have test it for free with a liquid kit. They also provide us water with the correct pH and hardness levels. So far it turns out I'm neurotic about my fish tank haha

7. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You'd be fine with male platies or guppies. You'd be surprised how well those little fry babies can hide if you have a lot of plants. I have all females and some have come home pregnant so I end up moving them to a 10g tank (because they actually DO survive) and giving them to a local fish store once they're a few months old. All of that can be a pain though its neat to watch them grow and keep your favorites. You wouldn't have that problem with an all male tank.

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I have 3 male guppies and 2 male platies in my tank among other fish. They all get along fine. (I completely understand the disney infatuation :) )

9. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

Okay we have done a complete re-do of our plans haha. Again, right now we've got three zebra danios, three long finned leopard danios, and one baby guppy. The plan now is to add a school of bloodfin tetras and a school of diamond tetras. Does that sound right? Any obvious mishaps I'm missing? Thanks for all your advice!

10. Anders247

I wouldn't do three schools of fish in the mid level in this size tank..... too much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice