60 Gallon Tank Stocking ideas for vibrant theme?

Harraj128

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Experience
Just started
Do you know of and understand the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
Yes
Aquarium Size
60G
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Looking to get a theme of vibrancy and wow with how I stock my tank.

My tank had finally cycled thanks to the help of the amazing mattgirl and now its time to plan how I'm going to stock this thing.

The tank is a 60G fake planted tank and I've attached a photo so you can see how it looks.

It's currently got 6 neon tetras and 6 gold zebra danios due to them being Hardy and as my tank has just come off 4/5 weeks of cycling fully.

I want a few center piece fish that are really vibrant/have a wow factor but can also live with smaller fish. Are cichlids out of the question due to havin small fish?

Any suggestions on how I should stock going forward to have a vibrant and quite active tank?

Thanks all!

Solution
I think they are in the UK so mossball problem not an issue as far as I'm aware :)

Ok, safe then.

Although I never liked those things. They turned up in the hobby while I was on a longer aquarium hiatus and I just can't make anything of them. They look misplaced most of the time and take away space. *shrug*

I believe there was yeah, there are still places you can order them frozen I've heard. And depending on where the OP lives they might not be a problem. Problem with the mussels were mostly in US and the batch of moss balls came from farms in Ukraine where its a native species. Personally I live in North Europe where they were not classified as problem as they would just freeze to death outside..

Allright...

LHAquatics

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Quarantine?
No
List any water conditioners and test kits used:
API test KIT
Experience
Just started
Yes
Aquarium Size
29 Gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium Start Date
February 19, 2021
Aquarium Filter Type
Marineland Penguin 200b

BigManAquatics

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Brian
Occupation
Security for many places
Quarantine?
Learned the hard way
Inagitarium Betta Water Conditioner, API Tap Water Conditioner, API Freshwater Master test kit
Experience
4 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
10 gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
1 Rosetail betta, 1 Tiger nerite snail
Aquarium Start Date
August 2018
Temperature
80F
Aquarium Filter Type
Sponge
Aquarium #2 Size
10 gallon
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
1 Veiltail betta, 1 Tiger nerite snail
Tank #2 Start Date
October 2018
Tank #2 Temperature
80F
Tank #2 Filter Type
Sponge
Aquarium #3 Size
10 gallon
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #3 Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
Tank #3 Start Date
September 2020
Tank #3 Temperature
80F
Peacock gudgeons may be vibrant enough for you. Here is one of mine:
20210425_195634.jpg

LHAquatics

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Quarantine?
No
API test KIT
Experience
Just started
Yes
Aquarium Size
29 Gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium Start Date
February 19, 2021
Aquarium Filter Type
Marineland Penguin 200b

BigManAquatics

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Brian
Occupation
Security for many places
Quarantine?
Learned the hard way
Inagitarium Betta Water Conditioner, API Tap Water Conditioner, API Freshwater Master test kit
Experience
4 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
10 gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium Start Date
August 2018
Temperature
80F
Aquarium Filter Type
Sponge
Aquarium #2 Size
10 gallon
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
October 2018
Tank #2 Temperature
80F
Tank #2 Filter Type
Sponge
Aquarium #3 Size
10 gallon
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #3 Start Date
September 2020
Tank #3 Temperature
80F
You must really love peacock gudgeons because in every stocking post I see a peacock gudgeon :hilarious:
Well, they are pretty chill fish that can get along well with about everything.

TClare

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
Biologist, university teacher, wildlife films
Quarantine?
No but I check the quarantine situation in the shop before buying
Azoo test kits for pH, GH, ammonia, seachem test for nitrites and nitrates. Don’t use conditioner as tap water is untreated.
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
I have angelfish with neons and they haven’t eaten any. I think it is less likely if you have the neons first and get the angelfish as small juveniles.
You could get more neons to add more vibrancy. Dwarf cichlids would also be a possibility, also possibly keyhole cichlids. I can’t see the photo of your tank though?

OP
H

Harraj128

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Experience
Just started
Yes
Aquarium Size
60G
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Angelfish are available, but they might eat the neon tetras.

My wife absolutely adores angelfish and keeps saying we need one! If we had more tetras would it be less likely to occur?
Peacock gudgeons may be vibrant enough for you. Here is one of mine:
View attachment 788560

They look beautiful, are they common to grab at a LFS? don't think I've seen them
I have angelfish with neons and they haven’t eaten any. I think it is less likely if you have the neons first and get the angelfish as small juveniles.
You could get more neons to add more vibrancy. Dwarf cichlids would also be a possibility, also possibly keyhole cichlids. I can’t see the photo of your tank though?

I'm also thinking angelfish, how many would you recommend to go together? Also if I upped the number of neon tetras would it make the angelfish think twice if there's a bigger school of them?

And sorry please see attached a photo

Attachments

• 20210509_163438.jpg
    20210509_163438.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 41

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
teacher
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
80l
1,0 Apistogramma hongsloi
15x Nannostomus eques
Aquarium Start Date
September 2019
Aquarium Filter Type
internal filter (biological and mechanical)
The tank is not suitable for any kind of cichlid in my opinion. Not if you want to keep that neon theme. Many cichlids communicate with their colour intensity and patterns, in such a tank they would likely be overwhelmed with sensory overload. Many cichlids can see more colours than we do, due to the ability to see infrared. Must be stressfull for them.

I personally would have a hard time stocking the tank with any fish. Not that it's ugly, but I think personal tastes should be secondary to the animals needs.

StinkyLoaf

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Harley
Occupation
Secondary school student
Quarantine?
No
Seachem Prime
NTlabs Aquarium Lab Test Kit
Experience
5 years
Yes
The tank dimensions aren’t suitable for most cichlids and the decoration is suitable for no cichlid. Here is why:

Middle-top swimming cichlids such as angelfish and festivums might favour these dimensions but the tank is too high for the majority of cichlids that occupy the floor space. Yes, it might be 60 gallons but most cichlids would ignore the top half.

Cichlids require thick hiding spots so any recessive, bullied fish can keep out of the dominant fish’s line of sight. There is too much open space and inadequate hiding places. Using driftwood is a great way to divide the territories but likely can’t be done in this tank.

So it’s a no to cichlids. I would focus on adding to the current schools of fish and if you want to get other fish rearranging the decor might have to happen.

Nopsu

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Nopsu
Occupation
Student
Quarantine?
Small 20L tub, mostly for plants
Easy-Life AquaMaker, Voogle+ & Catappa-X, Aquili 5-1 test kit, JBL test strips.
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
160L tall corner (~42 gallons)
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Red tailed shark, 10 Rummy nose tetra and 3 Nerite snails
Aquarium Start Date
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
5-10
Temperature
25C (up to 28 summer heat)
pH
Lighting
Aquael Leddy Slim Plant 10W + 2 small cheap white leds
Aquarium Filter Type
Eheim eXperience 250 (canister) & pickup 200 (internal)
If you have neons or other tetras with angels just make sure they are bigger than the mouth, full grown tetras might be fine. And as with any tetras and the danios you have you want atleast 6 in of each species like you have now but you could make bigger schools of at least 10. They also look so much more interactive when there is enough. Maybe you could also get a school of cardinal tetras to go with the neons and danios or green neons as well.. Honey gourami (just one male or 1male with few females suggested) would imo also look pretty and it has quite bright yellow color. Gold barbs might also look nice in your setup!

OP
H

Harraj128

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Experience
Just started
Yes
Aquarium Size
60G
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
The tank is not suitable for any kind of cichlid in my opinion. Not if you want to keep that neon theme. Many cichlids communicate with their colour intensity and patterns, in such a tank they would likely be overwhelmed with sensory overload. Many cichlids can see more colours than we do, due to the ability to see infrared. Must be stressfull for them.

I personally would have a hard time stocking the tank with any fish. Not that it's ugly, but I think personal tastes should be secondary to the animals needs.

Lol this made me feel sad as I want what's best for the fish! Please offer advice on what you would do to make this better so I can work on correcting my mistakes!
The tank dimensions aren’t suitable for most cichlids and the decoration is suitable for no cichlid. Here is why:

Middle-top swimming cichlids such as angelfish and festivums might favour these dimensions but the tank is too high for the majority of cichlids that occupy the floor space. Yes, it might be 60 gallons but most cichlids would ignore the top half.

Cichlids require thick hiding spots so any recessive, bullied fish can keep out of the dominant fish’s line of sight. There is too much open space and inadequate hiding places. Using driftwood is a great way to divide the territories but likely can’t be done in this tank.

So it’s a no to cichlids. I would focus on adding to the current schools of fish and if you want to get other fish rearranging the decor might have to happen.

Hey thank you so much for the advice. Please let me know how you would personally rearrange the decor and what you would do to make this a more habitable place for other fish?

Appreciate your input
If you have neons or other tetras with angels just make sure they are bigger than the mouth, full grown tetras might be fine. And as with any tetras and the danios you have you want atleast 6 in of each species like you have now but you could make bigger schools of at least 10. They also look so much more interactive when there is enough. Maybe you could also get a school of cardinal tetras to go with the neons and danios or green neons as well.. Honey gourami (just one male or 1male with few females suggested) would imo also look pretty and it has quite bright yellow color. Gold barbs might also look nice in your setup!
I think another 6 cardinals would be a nice edition so I may go ahead and add those! I love the look of Gouramis so I'll take a look and see, thanks for your advice I'll definitely take it on board in the fish selection process :)

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
teacher
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
80l
15x Nannostomus eques
Aquarium Start Date
September 2019
Aquarium Filter Type
Honey gourami (just one male or 1male with few females suggested) would imo also look pretty and it has quite bright yellow color.

Those need a lot of plants and cover, especially in the upper third, to feel comfortable and not be stressed out too much.

BigManAquatics

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Brian
Occupation
Security for many places
Quarantine?
Learned the hard way
Experience
4 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
10 gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium Start Date
August 2018
Temperature
80F
Aquarium Filter Type
Sponge
Aquarium #2 Size
10 gallon
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Start Date
October 2018
Tank #2 Temperature
80F
Tank #2 Filter Type
Sponge
Aquarium #3 Size
10 gallon
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #3 Start Date
September 2020
Tank #3 Temperature
80F
My wife absolutely adores angelfish and keeps saying we need one! If we had more tetras would it be less likely to occur?

They look beautiful, are they common to grab at a LFS? don't think I've seen them

I'm also thinking angelfish, how many would you recommend to go together? Also if I upped the number of neon tetras would it make the angelfish think twice if there's a bigger school of them?

And sorry please see attached a photo
In my area they aren't super common at the store, but a couple of stores do order them regularly, whether or not they actually come in, that is a different story. No clue what it is like in your area.

StinkyLoaf

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Harley
Occupation
Secondary school student
Quarantine?
No
Seachem Prime
Experience
5 years
Yes
Hey thank you so much for the advice. Please let me know how you would personally rearrange the decor and what you would do to make this a more habitable place for other fish?

Appreciate your input
No problem. If you don’t intend on keeping cichlids then I wouldn’t worry too much about rearranging or even replacing decor. However having an open space in one area and a densely decorated area in another will allow any fish to roam freely and hide as they wish.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
teacher
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
80l
15x Nannostomus eques
Aquarium Start Date
September 2019
Aquarium Filter Type
Lol this made me feel sad as I want what's best for the fish! Please offer advice on what you would do to make this better so I can work on correcting my mistakes!

Don't take it personally. You couldn't know.

I would completely redo the tank. Toss all the decorations, add live plants, driftwood and rocks instead, replace the substrate with simple pool filter sand or playsand. The lights should be less bright. There is usually also no need for an airstone, let alone two.

Wood and twigs as well as live plants can be used to structure the tank correctly, for dwarf cichlids for example it's important to break the lines of sight, as has been said already.

I would also not add any fish for the time being, maybe wait until several weeks after a possible redo.
Such a do-over is a lot of work and in many regards the tank has to find its balance again afterwards. So, your choice.

But I can predict: Your tank, as it is, will over time become all but a good place for any fish.

Those who say otherwise either don't want to hurt feelings or are oblivious to the fishes wellbeing. I am aware there are people of both groups here on the forum and in this case I can only advise NOT to listen to them.

I also don't want to hurt feelings, but the animals and their needs should always be first priority.

StinkyLoaf

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Harley
Occupation
Secondary school student
Quarantine?
No
Seachem Prime
Experience
5 years
Yes
Sometimes I struggle to look at my mum’s and my sister’s tanks because they chose colourful and artificial decor. If I were to say to them “let’s redo the tanks” they would quickly say no. I even suggested using rocks, driftwood and a sand substrate when setting the tanks up but they declined in favour of the artificial decor probably because it’s cheaper and “I’m not allowed to choose the decor for their tanks.” I think their tanks look horrible and could meet the needs of the fish far better, so there’s nothing wrong with me wanting to choose the scape so they don’t.

You at least have an option of what to do. I think redoing the scape with natural materials arranged in a certain way will have you and the fish set. :)

veggieshark

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Quarantine?
As much as I can
Dechlorinators, becuse my tap water has chloramine. I don't test water, because all you can do realistically is water change, which I should be doing anyway.
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
Many; from jars to 75g
All things freshwater
Aquarium Start Date
I have multiple tanks, oldest has been up for more than 10 years; almost twenty :)
You may want to check out silver dollars. They are broad like angelfish. They are voracious plant eaters (one advantage of plastic plants), but naturally they need a lot of plant substance that you need to supply externally, or cheap fast growing live plants.

If you decide to go cichlid only, I think you could build a structure to accomodate some Tanganyikans, even with those tank dimensions. (No mixing with neons, etc.)

alven

Well Known
Reactions
Don't take it personally. You couldn't know.

I would completely redo the tank. Toss all the decorations, add live plants, driftwood and rocks instead, replace the substrate with simple pool filter sand or playsand. The lights should be less bright. There is usually also no need for an airstone, let alone two.

Wood and twigs as well as live plants can be used to structure the tank correctly, for dwarf cichlids for example it's important to break the lines of sight, as has been said already.

I would also not add any fish for the time being, maybe wait until several weeks after a possible redo.
Such a do-over is a lot of work and in many regards the tank has to find its balance again afterwards. So, your choice.

But I can predict: Your tank, as it is, will over time become all but a good place for any fish.

Those who say otherwise either don't want to hurt feelings or are oblivious to the fishes wellbeing. I am aware there are people of both groups here on the forum and in this case I can only advise NOT to listen to them.

I also don't want to hurt feelings, but the animals and their needs should always be first priority.

Hmm. I respectfully disagree with that statement, sir.

While I may just be some inexperienced teenager in the hobby, I feel like I am more than entitled to my own opinion. Therefore in my humble opinion, I don't think Harraj has to rearrange the ENTIRE tank. You have to consider his expenses and what he's ready to do. Yes driftwood, live plants, rocks, etc. will help the fish but what if he's not ready to that? I mean, it's like asking someone to move onto multiplication when they're still on addition. A resonable alternative for harraj could be to slowly introduce live plants to the tank. I don't think rearranging this tank all at once is a wise idea. Especially when his family had to wait an excruciating 4+ weeks to get fish. After all, it's not ALL fishkeepers who immediately do live plants right away in the hobby. They are preferable but live plants aren't an absolute necessity that your fish will die without. :)

But Harraj128 that's just my two cents. If you're ready to do live plants/redo the entire tank, go for it. It is your tank after all.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
teacher
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
80l
15x Nannostomus eques
Aquarium Start Date
September 2019
Aquarium Filter Type
The human aspect in those matters should be secondary. When someone can afford a tank that size and is willing to offer their fish the best environment possible, asking for appropriate advise, most of your arguments don't have much weight anymore.

Also I am of the opinion that live plants are nothing "advanced" at all. The whole approach of "advancing" to live plants is such a nonsensical concept and, frankly, a very much american phenomenon. It doesn't make any sense to me at all, considering how willing many people are on the other hand to chugg in a carload of chemicals in their tanks. It's a fact that starting a tank with undemanding, easy to grow, live plants results in a generally better maintained tank that people keep for a longer period of time, while tanks starting out with fake plants and plastic decorations are given up far sooner. Most often the reason is that the tanks don't find a balance and people are annoyed with algae and other problems due to stressed fish, which all could have been prevented when starting correctly from scratch.

And what's wrong about waiting 4 weeks? Patience is the biggest asset of an aquarist.

Not everything has to be fast and convenient, especially not in fishkeeping. You will learn and understand that in time.

alven

Well Known
Reactions
The human aspect in those matters should be secondary. When someone can afford a tank that size and is willing to offer their fish the best environment possible, asking for appropriate advise, most of your arguments don't have much weight anymore.

Also I am of the opinion that live plants are nothing "advanced" at all. The whole approach of "advancing" to live plants is such a nonsensical concept and, frankly, a very much american phenomenon. It doesn't make any sense to me at all, considering how willing many people are on the other hand to chugg in a carload of chemicals in their tanks. It's a fact that starting a tank with undemanding, easy to grow, live plants results in a generally better maintained tank that people keep for a longer period of time, while tanks starting out with fake plants and plastic decorations are given up far sooner. Most often the reason is that the tanks don't find a balance and people are annoyed with algae and other problems due to stressed fish, which all could have been prevented when starting correctly from scratch.

And what's wrong about waiting 4 weeks? Patience is the biggest asset of an aquarist.

Not everything has to be fast and convenient, especially not in fishkeeping. You will learn and understand that in time.

Sir, I think you misread my post. I am not making any arguments whatsoever. I'm just quoting my opinion on a statement which was allowed last time I checked. Also maybe you missed the part where I said that he could slowly introduce live plants into the tank? You right of the back recommended to "redo everything." I just disagree with that point blank. My aunt has had a 20 gallon since 2019. All 8 fish but one have survived since then, and I promise I am not making this up. She doesn't have any live plants at all, but what she does do is keep up with her tank maintenance to keep her water quality superb. Also I never said anything was wrong with waiting 4 weeks nor being patient. If you didn't know I have a ready 10 gallon and I haven't even started my cycle. However, I choose to wait and start a fishless cycle because it will be best for my fish. So no, I do know what it means to be patient sir. If you were unaware, his kids have had to wait quite some time to get fish and making them wait even longer for doing something that isn't entirely necessary now, seems rather ill-judged. I also respect your opinion and your years of experience, but it would be appreciated if you could see mine rather than trying to lesson me.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
teacher
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
80l
15x Nannostomus eques
Aquarium Start Date
September 2019
Aquarium Filter Type
I am not making any arguments whatsoever.

Your last post read very differently. Argument can also just mean "a point in a discussion" which I meant by that. I did not state you were trying to argue.

Also maybe you missed the part where I said that he could slowly introduce live plants into the tank?

No I did not miss that, it just makes no sense.

You right of the back recommended to "redo everything." I just disagree with that point blank.

I can put it differently: Rather do it now than later, because the longer you wait, the harder it gets. Do something right once and you don't have to patch things up later. Also more cost-effective on the long run.

My aunt has had a 20 gallon since 2019. All 8 fish but one have survived since then, and I promise I am not making this up. She doesn't have any live plants at all, but what she does do is keep up with her tank maintenance to keep her water quality superb.

Good for her and the least one should do with such a tank.

If you were unaware, his kids have had to wait quite some time to get fish and making them wait even longer for doing something that isn't entirely necessary now, seems rather ill-judged.

I'll be honest: This is one of the biggest mistakes in the whole hobby. Listening to your kids.

And as said above: Now is better than later.

I offer you a "agree to disagree", in the end the OP has to decide themselves anyway.

One final thing: I'm not 40 yet, so please quit the "sir". ;)

alven

Well Known
Reactions
Clearly you like the satisfaction of knowing that you beat a teenager in an argument (as you like to call it). However, due to how the OP left I'll just rest it at agreeing to disagree. Also, here in the U.S, some of us address older people (specifically people over 18) as ma'am or sir. Just as a sign of respect, if you didn't know. :)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
retired
Quarantine?
5 gallon with sponge filter
prime for my water conditioner and the API Freshwater Master Test Kit for testing the health of my tank now have a gh/kh liquid test kit---
tank water tested 2/15/2016
gh-5 drops
kh-3 drops
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon 48x12x21
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
5 Long Finned Black Skirt tetras
2 False Julii Corys
2 Albino Corys
3 bronze Corys to start with but now have more than I can count
10 Neon tetras
1 albino bristlenose pleco
8 Bloodfin tetras
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Mystery snail
Aquarium Start Date
December 14th, 2015
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
20/40
Temperature
pH
Lighting
led
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
2 cascade 300 HOB's & 2 dual sponge sponge filters
Aquarium #2 Size
5.5 gallon hospital tank
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium #3 Size
12 gallon grow out tank
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
super red pleco fry
Assassin snails
OK folks Harraj128 started this thread for stocking advice not decor advice. Some good points have been made but can we get back on track and try to help him out?

I would like to help with this part but I am not as good as some with stocking advice.

Chris1212

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Yes
I agree with the peacock gudgeon and honey gourami suggestions. I have both in my 20g tank with skirt tetras and glowlight tetras and they all get along, interact, etc. It is a fun tank to watch. A couple suggestions that are pretty cheap:

- if you want to continue using fake plants (I do almost entirely in my smaller tank), you can always float them by taking off the heavier anchor that comes with them. They would give honey gouramis a little top cover.

- if you are interested in cheap, easy live plants, I bought two from petsmart, the kind that come in the tube: java fern and anubias. I glued them to a couple rocks and they are growing and expanding after 1 month. Bonus - they are pest snail free since they don't sit in a tank in the store.

Edit: A lot of people will disagree with me. Some of our skirt tetras are glofish and they are healthy and very vibrant.

GuppyOverlord11

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Daniel
Occupation
Middle School Student
Quarantine?
Sometimes.
Top fin water conditioner, API master freshwater test kit
Experience
Just started
Yes
Aquarium Size
10 gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
black racer nerite snail.
Aquarium Start Date
January 2, 2021
Temperature
72-80
Lighting
Just the overhead light in the room
Aquarium Filter Type
Tetra Whisper
Aquarium #2 Size
10 gallon
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
2 male guppies, Guppy grass, 1 ADF, 2 Guppy fry, 1 black racer nerite snail
Tank #2 Start Date
March
Tank #2 Temperature
72-80
Tank #2 Filter Type
Tetra Whisper filter
I think some cool fish for your tank would be guppies. Actually neons is what I was going to suggest in the first place!

OP
H

Harraj128

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Experience
Just started
Yes
Aquarium Size
60G
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Thanks for all your comments, not going to quote as theres too much to respond to but I've read each and everyone of your responses and thank you all for the time spent making these posts. I understand there are differing opinions on both sides and I agree with certain points but I feel its quite drastic to have to remove absolutely everything and start again.

What I propose and would maybe like some assistance in is the transition from artificial plants to some live plants. My thinking is to once a week replace one of the artificial plants with something like a java fern that can be tied to pieces of wood. That way I wouldn't need to change the substrate.

How does this sound? In regards to the ornaments currently my fish are loving hiding in them so I'd be less inclined to remove them as I only have 2 the rest are rocks. Let me know your thoughts and if anyone's willing to support in a slow but transitioning move to replacing artificial plants with live plants and if this way is viable and more so a middle ground.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
retired
Quarantine?
5 gallon with sponge filter
prime for my water conditioner and the API Freshwater Master Test Kit for testing the health of my tank now have a gh/kh liquid test kit---
tank water tested 2/15/2016
gh-5 drops
kh-3 drops
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon 48x12x21
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
5 Long Finned Black Skirt tetras
2 False Julii Corys
2 Albino Corys
3 bronze Corys to start with but now have more than I can count
10 Neon tetras
1 albino bristlenose pleco
8 Bloodfin tetras
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Mystery snail
Aquarium Start Date
December 14th, 2015
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
20/40
Temperature
pH
Lighting
led
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
2 cascade 300 HOB's & 2 dual sponge sponge filters
Aquarium #2 Size
5.5 gallon hospital tank
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium #3 Size
12 gallon grow out tank
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
super red pleco fry
Assassin snails
Thanks for all your comments, not going to quote as theres too much to respond to but I've read each and everyone of your responses and thank you all for the time spent making these posts. I understand there are differing opinions on both sides and I agree with certain points but I feel its quite drastic to have to remove absolutely everything and start again.

What I propose and would maybe like some assistance in is the transition from artificial plants to some live plants. My thinking is to once a week replace one of the artificial plants with something like a java fern that can be tied to pieces of wood. That way I wouldn't need to change the substrate.

How does this sound? In regards to the ornaments currently my fish are loving hiding in them so I'd be less inclined to remove them as I only have 2 the rest are rocks. Let me know your thoughts and if anyone's willing to support in a slow but transitioning move to replacing artificial plants with live plants and if this way is viable and more so a middle ground.
This actually sounds like a very good plan if you are ready to attempt live plants. Java fern and various anubius plants can be tied/glued to rocks/other decor. There are also various stem plants such as water wisteria that might do well and it gets its nutrients from the water. I don't actually plant mine. I just weigh the bottom down to prevent floating.

Nopsu

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Nopsu
Occupation
Student
Quarantine?
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
5-10
Temperature
pH
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Floating plants (any kind) and Marimo moss balls would maybe me a nice and easy place to start with live plants if you REALLY don't care for them much but want them to soak excess nutrients. But other easy plants are Anubias and mosses (both can be tied/glued to rocks/deco/wood etc) Java fern, guppy grass..

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
teacher
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
80l
15x Nannostomus eques
Aquarium Start Date
September 2019
Aquarium Filter Type
Waterweeds, frogbit, salvinia, hornwort, brasilian pennywort... all really easy plants that are very forgiving.

Floating plants (any kind) and Marimo moss balls would maybe me a nice and easy place to start with live plants if you REALLY don't care for them much but want them to soak excess nutrients. But other easy plants are Anubias and mosses (both can be tied/glued to rocks/deco/wood etc) Java fern, guppy grass..

Isn't there recently a problem with contaminated mossballs?

TClare

Well Known
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
Biologist, university teacher, wildlife films
Quarantine?
No but I check the quarantine situation in the shop before buying
Azoo test kits for pH, GH, ammonia, seachem test for nitrites and nitrates. Don’t use conditioner as tap water is untreated.
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
I think it sounds like a plan. You will find that the plants mentioned are very easy, the fish will appreciate them. And they will help with water quality - especially floating plants. As for your original question, if you like neons and angelfish I personally I think this could work in your set up, better than dwarf cichlids. I know that angelfish have been known to eat neon tetras, but I don’t think it is very likely if you start with small angelfish together with the neons, and keep them well fed. Mine have never bothered. The other thing to bear in mind is that it would be ideal to start with a group of young angelfish, but you might have to move or rehome some later on if a pair forms or if any become particularly aggressive, or if one becomes constantly bullied.

Jo7984

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Quarantine?
Yes.
API Freshwater Test Kit.
Seachem Prime.
Seachem Equilibrium
Experience
1 year
Yes
Aquarium Size
26 Gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
White Cloud Mountain Minnow
Golden Mountain Minnow
1 Male Platy
Aquarium Start Date
Jan 2021
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Temperature
22°C
pH
Lighting
20W SUN-GLO 24" 20W
Skimmer
No
Aquarium Filter Type
All Pond Solutions 600-HO & large sponge filter.
Aquarium #2 Size
7.8 Gallon
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
LOTS of Cherry Shrimp + Babies!!
Tank #2 Start Date
Jan 2021
Tank #2 Ammonia
Tank #2 Nitrite
Tank #2 Nitrate
Tank #2 Temperature
19°C
Tank #2 pH
Tank #2 Lighting
LED lights
Tank #2 Filter Type
Marina Slim S15 (Packed with coarse, medium and fine sponge) Biogravel and some crushed coral.
Aquarium #3 Size
14 Gallon
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Chili Rasbora
Java Fern, Guppy Grass, Water Lettuce, driftwood.
Tank #3 Start Date
April 2021
Tank #3 Ammonia
Tank #3 Nitrite
Tank #3 Nitrate
Tank #3 Temperature
Tank #3 pH
Tank #3 Filter Type
All Pond solutions 600-HOB. Plus corner sponge filter.
I think they are in the UK so mossball problem not an issue as far as I'm aware :)

Nopsu

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
Nopsu
Occupation
Student
Quarantine?
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Aquarium Start Date
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
5-10
Temperature
pH
Lighting
Aquarium Filter Type
Isn't there recently a problem with contaminated mossballs?
I believe there was yeah, there are still places you can order them frozen I've heard. And depending on where the OP lives they might not be a problem. Problem with the mussels were mostly in US and the batch of moss balls came from farms in Ukraine where its a native species. Personally I live in North Europe where they were not classified as problem as they would just freeze to death outside..
Further research I found out they are also classified invasive in the UK and Sweden atleast. But I do not know if it was only the moss balls in certain batches and if you can get them from other sources than Ukraine.
At my LFS i saw them on plastic packaging normally with no warnings.. Need to do more research it seems

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
teacher
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
80l
15x Nannostomus eques
Aquarium Start Date
September 2019
Aquarium Filter Type

Ok, safe then.

Although I never liked those things. They turned up in the hobby while I was on a longer aquarium hiatus and I just can't make anything of them. They look misplaced most of the time and take away space. *shrug*

Allright then. :D

Personally I live in North Europe where they were not classified as problem as they would just freeze to death outside..

We have had the zebra mussels introduced to our rivers by ship bouyancy tanks decades ago, they have not yet replaced any native species. But on the riverbanks here in my city, I almost exclusively find them.

Solution

Latest threads

Top Bottom