Stocking Ideas For New Tank

1. M

Mandy389 Initiate Member

Hello everyone I am new to owning large tanks.
    I have currently set up a 55 gallon freshwater tank. I have a Marineland 220 canister filter, I have another HOB I can add on if needed but I would rather stick with the canister if I can and avoid the HOB they are clunky and loud imho.
    I have it around 75 degrees atm. I am currently waiting for it to cycle but when it’s ready I would like to have my stocking plan ready. I have no live plants only some moss balls.
    I like..
    Dalmatian Molly’s
    Platys
    Angelfish
    Plecco
    Rope fish (reed fish)

Please tell me how many of these I can keep and if they are compatible together. Thank you.
    I want to keep my tank as clean as possible so I don’t have to add in the HOB so if I have to sacrifice owning any kinds of fish to keep it cleaner that’s fine! Thanks!

2. ChaseAce

ChaseAce Member Member

Rope fish may not be too good of an idea since they get over a foot long and enjoy being in groups. It would be difficult to keep the tank clean with that much fish.

I'm not too sure on the mollies or platys since I've never had them, but I definitely wouldn't suggest more than 3 angels in a 55. I've currently got 1 in a 60 and then added other smaller fish to add some life. It seems to pretty well.

How many plecos depends on the species you want

3. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Member Member

Before you choose what fish you like, have you really explored the types of fish out there? Consider where you are going to buy your fish. There's a lot you can do with 55 gallons. Are you sure you want community types? have you considered african cichlids? There are also rainbowfish (my personal favorite are male bosemani), tetra (Emperor tetra/kerri tetra are a favorite) , rasbora (harlequin rasbora), barbs (gold barbs are quite flashy).

Angelfish are technically south american cichlids, they can be kept with rams (gold, german, or electric blue) in that size of a tank, the ropefish and pleco could go in there as well. It'd be considered a semi-aggressive tank. Mollies and platies may be okay too but, I'd only do a few and they may get chased around a bit.

You could keep all of the fish you mentioned that you like together. I may worry about the ropefish later on, as he is a predator/scavenger who may prey on other smaller fish lingering along the bottom. But otherwise you'd be fine to keep mollys, platy's, angels and ropefish+pleco together. There are also fancy pleco that stay small. Most pleco that are sold as 'regular pleco' will grow about 14in+ in size, bristlenose and ancestrus types typically stay around 6-8 inches.

Really consider your options though, everytime I stock a tank, I find another species of fish that I wished I would've learned about sooner.

4. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Member Member

I would only do 2 angels, because if there’s 3 then 2 of them might gang up on one. Mollies should be fine, I have 3 and I think they would work in that setup.

5. RainBetta

RainBetta Member Member

I honestly wouldn't keep a ropefish in a 55 gallon.... The other fish are good. Are you interested in a shoaling fish? Here's some ideas for stocking:

Stocking 1:
    x2 Angelfish
    x10 glass catfish
    x4 Damarion mollies
    x1 albino BN pleco

Stocking 2:
    x2 Angelfish
    x5 mollies
    x3 platies
    x1 Longfin BN pleco

Stocking 3:
    x2 Angelfish
    x13 silvertip tetras
    x5 guppies
    x6 cories
    x1 pleco

Stocking 4:
    x2 Angelfish
    x2 GBR
    x5 mollies
    x3 platies

6. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Member Member

I respectfully disagree, we typically recommend odd numbers of semi-aggressive fish. If you want more than 1 semi-aggro species there is always going to be a dominance battle and having 3 is better than having 2. (though honestly, I'd just do 1 angel, it's safer that way). If you have 3, and 2 of them begin to fight, the third is likely to butt in and essentially break it up. Sure, its fighting over dominance, but if you want more than 1, it's better to have 2 fighting and 1 to break it up than to have 2 fish relentlessly attacking one another in an enclosed space..

7. Adrian Burke

that is true sometimes, but once at my LFS there was an angel tank with about 10 angels and they were all nipping at this one who lost its feelers. I felt really bad for it and almost brought it home... there’s always a possibility of a ganging up scenario. Honestly best to just keep 1, they’re very dramatic fish.

8. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Well Known Member Member

I think the reason most people don't recommend 3 is because when 2 start spawning, they'll gang up on the 3rd.

9. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Member Member

Ah, never thought about it that way, because that is true as well. I've never personally had angels spawn for me though. Either way, in a 55 gallon, 1 angel is best, He'll be the happy showpiece of the tank. Some peaceful schoolers would go good with him. I wouldn't do barbs if you're for sure going with an angel.

10. Adrian Burke

Kind of a random suggestion but look into honey gouramis! They’re good in any number and very peaceful.