Stocking ideas for new 80 litre / 21 gal. tank

Ritam23

Hi all. Since I suffered a set back in my previous 40 lt. tank, I am moving on to a larger 80 lt. / 21 gal tank now. The tank is already here and I have started the cycling process. I have one tiger barb (full grown - 2.5 inches) and a redfin / rainbow shark (a juvie) (both in a separate tank). I need to pair the tiger barb with 5 - 6 tiger barbs now. Apart from that I plan to get 2 swordtails (both females) from a friend of mine. The tank will be moderately planted (as of now) with a mix of high growing and slow growing plants.

Now the question is - can I get something else in their? If yes, what else can I get in their without crowding the tank too much? Can I get in some small (1 - 1.5 inch.) ones like danios, tetras, or even dwarf platy? Would dwarf platy be a good idea since they are not schooling but shoaling fish? I believe the bioload will be less for these smaller ones? Note that the tank is around 45 cm high, so the shark may not disturb any top dwellers even if they are small.

All suggestions are welcome :)

adumsoza

i wouldn't add another schooling fish or slow moving fish
. A killifish or 2 would make a great addition.

Ritam23

i wouldn't add another schooling fish or slow moving fish
. A killifish or 2 would make a great addition.
Thanks. A quick question - can I add a single Killifish?

adumsoza

Thanks. A quick question - can I add a single Killifish?
yes, if you are getting only one, get a male. They are more colourful.

Noroomforshoe

Kuhli fish are very social fish, You need to keep a large school of them, 8 is a bare minimum, more is ideal. You will probably never see then if you put them in a tank that size with tiger barbs.
Tiger barbs are best in a species only tank anyway, they are very rambunctious food hogs. If you are looking for more variety, You can create one large school of tiger barbs by combining green tigers, albino tigers, regulars, and glo fish tiger barbs. They do best in a school of 9+ You can try to keep less, but they are notorious chasers and nippers, The swordtails would be at a high risk.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Top Bottom