Stocking Ideas For My New 120 Tall

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by lira2842, Aug 24, 2019.

1. lira2842

lira2842New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys!

I recently purchased a 120 tall (30in high). I’m going to be planting it up pretty heavily with Mopani, ohko, taller plants and some low light shorter plants since it’s so high (also doing a natural tank so the substrate is going to be thicker)

Anywho, bigger questions are stocking. I’d like to keep it simple with schools of South American fish with some others scattered in there.

Idea so far:
    45 or more rummy-nose tetras
    15-20 skunk or panda corys
    7 Otos
    Then some nerites and Amano shrimp

I’d like to either get another school in there but am debating between a large school of small fish (purple pencilfish or cardinals) or a small number of larger fish. I’d love to get five or so Roselines since they get larger and are very peaceful (I know they’re not South American, but I’m not going for 100%), but they look pretty similar to the rummys so that’s a visual question there.

Last question is about a possible showpiece. I’d really like to have an Apisto triple red pair, though I haven’t seen much about them with shrimp. I know it’s not recommend, but I’d figure I’d ask to see if anyone has ever had any luck with keeping them together. It’s alright if they won’t work, I can always keep the shrimp in my smaller tank ;)

I’d love to hear any ideas!

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Why not downsize the Rummynose school to 30 and add a school of 10 - 12 Columbian Tetras. I've kept both Tetras in the past. Together they can really make a tank pop.

3. OP
    OP
    lira2842

lira2842New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm never even thought of Colombians. Are they similar in temperament to candy cane or serpae tetras?

4. A201

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Columbians are a full bodied, deep blue w/ bright red finned Tetra. Same demeanor as a Bleeding Heart Tetra. The Dominant male will stake out his territory away from the group. The remainder of the group will swim in a relatively tight school. One of my favorites.

5. A201

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Its been quite a while since I kept Columbians, but I dug up an ancient pic, of a school of Columbians swimming in a tight school along side a school of SD's. I had that community up & running for several years. 20190825_081225.

6. OP
    OP
    lira2842

lira2842New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Those reds are really nice! Definitely warming up to these guys. Thanks!!

7. A201

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That is a terrible pic. The Columbians have very blue bodies. That tank is located by a window. Too much glare, washed out their coloration. Good luck with your tank.