Stocking Ideas For Community Tank

oldsalt777

Hello FL...

For some years I believed you couldn't keep Goldfish with tropical fish due to the size, temperature and diet differences. A knowledgeable LFS employee told me I could as long as the fish were fry or a bit older and are raised together from the beginning. This way, the Goldfish don't ever see the tropicals as a food source. So, a few weeks ago, I set up a 45 gallon tank and added some Comet fry along with some larger Tetras, Guppies, Corydoras and Danios. The real trick is establishing a water temperature that will keep all the fish healthy. This tank has a 150 watt heater set for 72 degrees. It has two dual sponge filters and I remove and replace half the water weekly. So far, all the fish are lively and eating well. The fish get a variety of mixed flakes, freeze dried foods, pellets and Spirulina flakes. Attached is a picture of the tank.

Old

Attachments

• IMG_20190915_062658.jpg
    IMG_20190915_062658.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 32

A201

I always like the beautiful simplicity of your community tanks, and totally repect your philosophy on water management. I hope one day to see your skills applied to an African Cichlid community.

oldsalt777

I always like the beautiful simplicity of your community tanks, and totally repect your philosophy on water management. I hope one day to see your skills applied to an African Cichlid community.

Hello A...

These fish are interesting, but their cost has discouraged me from getting them. I'm the orginal tank keeper who puts them together at very little cost. That's why the Comets work for me, they're hardy and very cheap. The local LFS has them for 20 cents a piece.

Old

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
sunshine2012
  • Question
Replies
Views