Stocking ideas for community 30gal

1. Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner to fish keeping. I started with a low-tech 2.5gal shrimp & marimo, and then upgraded to a 16gal inverted tank in which I now have:
    • 30 red cherry shrimps (reproducing)
    • 1 halfmoon betta (peaceful)
    • 10 harlequin rasboras (laying eggs all over the place)
    • dwarf hairgrass and dwarf baby tears (nicely carpeting)
    • elodea (amazingly fast growing)
    • marimo moss balls (doing absolutely nothing)
    Based on how everything is going, I think I have a good setup. Everybody lives in peace, plants are doing amazing, water is clear and parameters are great...

I'm about to upgrade to a 78x38cm tank, 38cm deep, which is about 110L (31"x15", 15" deep, 30gal), and everybody is going to move to the new tank. According to AqAdvisor, my stocking level will be about 43%, and my filter is still way overkill.

What would you guys add to this tank to make it interesting to look at?

Usually my shrimps are hovering around in the tank in the morning and then settle for the day, my betta is like a cat trying to find all the holes he can fit into and bothering the shrimps (though never biting), and the rasboras are schooling and being very lively. I like all that, I like active life. I'm not very interested in snails or nocturnal fish or other low activity critters. I would also really enjoy a second centerpiece fish, but it would have to be ok with being around a betta at all times!

If it was your tank, what would you do?

PS: current bad ideas include (but not limited to) dwarf puffer, female betta, dwarf crayfish, african dwarf frog...

2. Innocent159 Member Member

Cory (which ever breed you prefer). I had albino cory and they have a nice personality. Was fun to watch them when they are moving. 6 to 8 would be a nice addition

3. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Whatever "centerpiece" fish you chose has to be dull and short finned. So there isn't a lot of options.
    Maybe a platy/molly? (Black, white, or Dalmatian)

4. BellatheBetta Member Member

I think that a school of 6/8 cories and a dull coloured molly would be very nice.

5. Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

I though mollies could get quite nippy with long finned mates? Am I wrong?

6. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Most mollies are peaceful, but occasionally I guess you do get a naughty one.

7. eliscofield12 Member Member

Kuhli loaches.

8. No Fishing Member Member

I would go with sterbai cory and ember tetras. I love the look of sterbai and the embers are great schoolers and are always active and peaceful.[​IMG]

9. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Although they are brightly coloured, some breeds of killifish have short fins. Could they be an idea if you got a breeding pair? If they were non - annual, you could breed them by putting a breeding mop in there.
    ~Mudkipz

10. Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Are Kuhli Loaches active? I thought they spent their days trying to form a mass of multiple individuals :)

11. Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

I do love the looks of these sterbai cories. Wouldn't they unroot my plants though?

And as for tetras, I thought they weren't recommended with Bettas.

12. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

If I were you I probably wouldn't move Betta to big tank as that limits a lot of the other options to choose from.

Khulis can be very entertaining especially during feeding time, if you get a good amount of them. Cory cats are a favorite of mine and would definitely be one of my choices if I was doing something like this.

13. Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

I only have space for the one tank, so my Betta is coming with everybody else :) He's very peaceful though, he does flare at his own reflection (before then swimming away into hiding), but he doesn't bother the shrimps nor the rasboras.

14. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Personally, I would keep the shrimp and betta in the 16g and move the rasboras to the 30g. Bettas prefer lots of shallow water so the 30 is probably going to be tough for the betta. Is this a 30 high or 30 long?

What my stocking plans are for my 30 high:

Black phantom tetras
    Sunset wag platties (males)
    1 angelfish
    Bristlenose pleco
    Mystery snail

I would look into a nice bottom feeder like cory cats (stated above)

Edit: just saw you only have room for 1 tank. You'll need lots of high plants with big leafs for the betta. Maybe one of those floating logs as well.

15. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I still wouldn't put a colorful, long finned fish in with him.
    You could do
    1x betta
    10x Harlequin rasbora
    ?x RCS
    8-10x Kuhli loaches or 6-8x Cories
    1-3x molly/platy? (Or other "centerpiece" fish)

16. No Fishing Member Member

Cory do not uproot plants, I have a medium planted tank and have never had an issue. They school together and just clean up the floor.

I have my tetras with a special breed of GBR that's long finned and haven't had any problems with nipping. Some tetras are notorious for fin nipping. Ember tetras really don't bother any of the other fish. Rummynose tetra would work too.

17. Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

It's 2 feet 7 inches long, the sides are 15" x 15". Is that high or long? It's custom made so I don't really know.

That's actually a good idea. It'll help the rasboras lay their eggs too.

18. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I believe it's more like a 30 long? My 29 high is 12W x 18H x 30L

19. Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

You guys have ideas for less common critters? Not that I don't like your suggestions but I'm looking to expand :)