Stocking ideas for a peaceful 29 gallon community tank

StephLynn

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have recently started cycling a new 29 gallon tank and, I am looking into stocking idea for when my nitrogen cycle is complete. I plan on adding the 3 platys that I currently have in my 10 gallon tank into the 29 gallon as well as getting one or two more platys. I've been thinking that I want some small schooling fish. So far, I have been really liking the rummy nose tetras, and ember tetras but, I'm open to non schooling fish or any other suggestions that people have kept well with platys or think might look good in my tank I am also planning on adding a few low tech plants to the graveled parts of the tank. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for fish that will get along with my platys?

sorry for the blurry pics, turns out fish don't like getting there pictures taken
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mom2some

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is your 10 gallon tank cycled? You could use that to help jump start the cycle on your 29 if you wanted. Sorry, not what you asked. Are you doing all male platys or are you expecting them to breed? Whether you need space for fry would impact stocking suggestions. Good luck! You will have so many more options! The schooling fish you mentioned would be fine. With mostly gravel I don't know what sort of bottom dweller you could do. A lot of people line corys or KuhlI loaches, but I believe both require sand substrate.
Big picture: a centerpiece fish, school of 6-9, some platys & a school of bottom dwellers.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cherry barbs! They are one of my favourite fish and they look so nice. I do keep them with platies and haven't had a problem.

OP
S

StephLynn

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the advice My ten gallon is cycled so I put a used cartridge in my new filter and the gravel from a cycled 5 gallon. I'm hoping that will jump start the cycle. My plan was all female platy because I read all males can sometimes get aggressive towards each other, so I would only have the initial fry and sooner or later they would run out but I'm not aiming to save any.

OP
S

StephLynn

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Gurlplz said:
Cherry barbs! They are one of my favourite fish and they look so nice. I do keep them with platies and haven't had a problem.
Thank you! I've seen cherry barbs at the store the other day and, I did really like how red they were

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
StephLynn said:
Thank you! I've seen cherry barbs at the store the other day and, I did really like how red they were
No problem! And if you get the female and males they really go well together, the females are more yellow and orange, when they are about to spawn the males flare up and get really red.

Mom2some

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, by the way... welcome to fishlore! If you have seen fish at the store that you like I suggest heading over to the stocking section of the website and posting a tentative stocking plan there, or just a list of fish you like... you will get lots of feedback from members who are good at ensuring temperature compatibility, etc. Not just the basics. Good luck! Cherry barbs are a great option!

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Cory cats and KuhlI loaches can be kept on on gravel as long as it isn't sharp and it is kept clean. They prefer sand but will do fine on either. I prefer gravel and my cory cats are fine. I also keep cherry barbs, neons, embers, glowlight tetras and harlequin rasboras for schooling fish and they are all hardy and peaceful. Alison

New Threads