Stocking ideas for a 55gal

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Cdieker, Jul 18, 2015.

1. CdiekerNew MemberMember

I need help on what to stock my tank with. It's a 55gal long with half sand half gravel. I have a medium sized rock pile on one side and a small piece of drift wood and a small fake plant on the other the middle is completely open. I may add some other fake plants but I don't want to completely redo the tank all I have right now is a small common pleco. I'd like to keep it simply. Thanks

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

The common pleco would get way too big for that aquarium. I've seen monsters that grow well over 18". And some wild specimens even 24".

If that could be rehomed, you open a world of opportunities for your aquarium. I personally would do an angelfish as a centerpiece and a large school of harlequin rasboras.

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'm afraid the angelfish may eat up 2" rasboras...

To the OP, what kind of fish do you like? Schooling fish, cichlids, etc?
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

I had adult angelfish in a tank with a bunch of harlequin rasboras and he never got them. The key is to not get really young rasboras in the same tank as an adult angel. It'd be ideal to either get the rasboras fully grown or get the angelfish last and still very young.

I have however heard of them eating neon tetras, which is why I didn't recommend that specifically.

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Neons are about the same size as harlequins though, so personally I would not do any 2" fish with an angelfish..

6. OP
    OP
    C

CdiekerNew MemberMember

my pleco is 5 inches and has been for about a year. from past experiance there slow growers.

ive had Cichlids from all the major lakes in Africa to south americans. an african leaf fish caught my eye and maybe some discus. but thats about it i guess I'm looking for something new.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  7. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

My common grows crazy fast, he grew almost 4" in 3 months....yours may be stunted or under fed if it hasn't grown in a year. ..

I would also vote against angels with harlequins, it might work but who knows. I know some people have had success with angels and smaller fish and some have had all their small fish become dinner. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. OP
    OP
    C

CdiekerNew MemberMember

what do you feed the pleco?

i need help

9. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I feed mine fresh veggies and fruits every day, mine likes spinach, zuchini, yellow squash, grapes and cherries. I also feed a good quality algae wafer every few days and 2-3 small shrimp pellets or catfish wafers daily. I have some kind of veggie in there 24/7 for him to munch on. Something about how their digestive tract is set up, they graze almost constantly.

You really should consider rehoming him at some point though, they need a 125+ gallon tank. I understand that you don't want to, I'm in the same situation with a common pleco needing rehomed, it's not an easy decision. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. OP
    OP
    C

CdiekerNew MemberMember

i try wafers but have had little luck but he's seemed to realize its food.

what and how many south american Cichlids can i keep?

11. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

I wouldn't put discus in a 55g but that may be just me.
    If you can re-home the pleco you can get a smaller variety like the Bristle nose pleco.

African leaf fish could work in your tank though they prefer heavily planted set ups, you can add some more silk/plastic plants and driftwood and they would be right at home. Good tank mates for these fish would be pleco, other african leaf fish, and my favorite;

12. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Discus are fine in a 55g. They rarely get over 6 inches.
    They also are social and would need a group of 6+. I would do just 6 in that size tank.
    Also, they're best off in species tanks.....
    African leaf fish aka leopard ctenopoma are OK in there, but choose their tankmates carefully as they are a predator of smaller fish.

Also, you say you have kept fish from all the major lakes of Africa, even Lake Chad? Just curious.....

13. Nympxzie

I don't know if this was directed towards me or OP, but I've only ever kept tangs.

14. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Lol, the OP.

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Just watch out for the Ctenopoma. I loved mine, and it broke my heart when he choked on sand and died.

16. OP
    OP
    C

CdiekerNew MemberMember

i just lost my RTC after a year. and do you think i could do Ctenopoma and other fish? I've looked them up and i think them more then the leaf fish.

Not that one but Lake Malawi Mbunas, Haps, and Peacocks, Lake Victoria, and Lake Tanganyikan.

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I think Anders was joking more than anything lol.

18. Nympxzie

Ctenopoma can fit in your tank WITH leaf fish (which is pretty cool imo to have a mini predator tank)
    Other tank mates could be smaller pleco species, congo tetra, barbs, syno's, and african butterfly fish are all tank mates recommended by the link that I had up earlier

19. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought Leopard Ctenopoma/African spotted leaf fish were the same thing?

20. OP
    OP
    C

CdiekerNew MemberMember

could i keep 2 or 3 ctenopoma with like 4 discus? i love the colors discus have I'm just not familier with them. Also can i feed them both with flakes or pellets? Lastly should i add taller and more plastic plants? I've tried real before and it didn't go to well. lol thanks for all the help so far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice