Stocking Ideas For A 55 Gallon?

1. s

shinbruise New Member Member

My mother recently told me she would like to get a 55 gallon for the main floor of our house. I was thinking something along the lines of:

2 Discus
    2 GBRs
    3 Amazon Puffer
    3 Dojo Loaches
    8 Julii Cories
    10-20 Harlequin Rasbora

The tank would be heavily planted, and have lots of hiding spaces and room for territories.
    If you have any suggestions/edits my mother likes oddballs, puffers, cichlids, and other interesting or intelligent fish. I think my list makes for a slightly overstocked tank, so I probably wouldn't include all of the fish in this tank. Suggestions are highly appreciated!

2. Fredward

Fredward Valued Member Member

Discus need to be in larger aquariums and in groups of at least 4 or 6. The GBRs and Discus also require much warmer water than the dojo loaches. Also puffers can be pretty pugnacious and do better in species only set-ups, and amazon puffers especially need larger groups. You could keep the rasboras and julii cats and exchange the GBR for Bolivian Rams, which like lower temperatures. And also instead of Dojo loaches, Kuhli loaches are very similar but are a much better size for your tank (around four inches). Maybe try something like:

2 Bolivian rams
    20 Harlequin rasboras
    8 Julii cories
    8 Kuhli loaches

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Dojos, juliis, puffers, and harlequins need cooler water than the discus and GBRs. They will have shorter lives and an increased susceptibility to diseases at the higher temps.

I would not keep puffers with cichlids for aggression reasons.

Discus should be in a larger group too, and they need specialized care. Juveniles should be fed multiple times a day, with large (> 50%, ideally 75-90%) water changes daily. Not doing this will usually result in stunted and diseased fish. They are not easy keepers. Adult discus need less maintenance (daily feedings and 3-4 water changes a week should suffice), but they are a lot more expensive.

Do you have a lot of experience with fishkeeping? I would avoid discus unless you're prepared to put in a lot of time and effort. They are not easy fish to keep properly. They also really limit your stocking due to their need for high temps (82 - 84 F).

If you wanted something similar that would be less maintenance (weekly water changes and single, daily feedings), what about this?

3x Dojo loaches
    8x Julii cories (true juliis are very rare - you'd likely end up with the false julii, C. trilineatus)
    10-20x Harlequin rasbora
    2-4x Keyhole cichlids
    2-5x Honey gourami
    Keep temps around 73 F

Or if you wanted the puffers:
    6-8x Amazon puffers
    12x Leopard fin danios
    12x False julii cories
    Keep temps around 74 - 75 F

Here's some more info on the puffers:
    https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/colomesus-asellus/

4. c

chickenghost Valued Member Member

I don't recommend puffers to anybody who doesn't have considerable experience, so I, personally, would go with the 1st option.

5. OP
    OP
    s

shinbruise New Member Member

I'm not quite as experienced with fish as I am with other animals, so I think I might skip out on the discus. I'm willing to spend lots of time on the tank, as I already have lots of aquariums + terrariums I do daily maintenance on- but I've only been keeping fish for about a year.

As far as the aggression problems, is the aggression coming from the cichlids or the puffers? Rams and Amazon puffers are quite peaceful in my experience.

I think i'll go with something similar to the second option, though is anything keeping me from having the loaches/ rasboras with puffers?

I'm keeping Indian dwarf puffers and Amazon puffers currently, I know how to deal with parasites and their antics. Any other reasons you would suggest the first option?

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

See green above :)

7. c

chickenghost Valued Member Member

Mainly personal preference. It's up to you, but I would rather have a tank full of colorful, vibrant fish than an exotic fish showcase type thing. But that's just me.