Stocking Ideas For A 5 Gallon And 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MelloKitty711, Jul 6, 2019.

1. MelloKitty711

MelloKitty711New MemberMember

I have an empty 5 gallon tank with it's own heater, filter, etc that isn't running right now. I probably should just keep it as a hospital tank but I was also thinking about stocking it with shrimps or snails, dwarf frogs, idk. I dont know anything about any of those though and I was also told it's hard to even cycle such a small tank. So I'm not sure what to do there. Any suggestions are welcome.

My 20 gallon only has 3 peppered corys and 5 guppy fry, and honestly I just want to keep the males of the fry or give them all to a friend, and maybe get another kind of fish, like mollies or something. I'm waiting for the tank to cycle, I originally only had 2 guppies, they bred with eachother so I got the larger tank, and they both died:/ so I'm left with their fry.

I am going to get 2 or 3 more corys, but I dont know what tank mates will be good with them in that tank size, and I dont want to over stock. I really like shrimp and snails. But not sure if the shrimp can be with corys. And I also dont want them to be eaten by any other fish I buy. I guess I'm just asking for some ideas and suggestions, for easy starter fish to keep and what would be good for my situation.

2. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Pic of the 20 gallon. I would keep the smaller tank empty store upside down; for hospital/quarantine tank. As for the 20 don’t add anymore fish and keep feeding to every few days until the tank is cycled. Once there you can’t go wrong with a good size school of neons or rummy nose 10-12. And then do a showpiece fish like a dwarf gourami or a Bolivian Ram.

3. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

My favourite nano fish are badis and there a few that will be fine in a 5g tank.

4. BettasinApril

BettasinAprilNew MemberMember

I also would just store the 5 gal away for an emergency tank. For your 20 gal - corys, guppies and shrimp can cohabitate since corys and guppies are a very peaceful species, so go ahead and get some shrimp if you like. If you add any other type of fish, i would make sure that they are also a small , docile and nonpredatory species good for mixed community and with shrimp. Good luck!

5. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

The 5 would be good for a few things. A couple of dwarf frogs, or a nice Betta, or a shrimp colony if you have luck with breeding them. I'd put a Nerite snail or 2 in it also. I have 2 male Guppies, a Nerite, and 5 shrimp in a 3.5 so it can work if you just keep an eye on things.