Stocking ideas for a 40 gallon breeder?

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just got a 40 gallon breeder and am running the cycle now. It's planted. I still am not entirely sure what I want in it though. I'm thinking of building a community around tetras, and I'd love some CPDs. Kuhles would be neat too. I'm also considering some dario darios and badis badis, shrimp too... There's just so many options! That's what I'm thinking right now but ALL suggestions are welcome! If anyone has or has had a 40 gallon in the past, what do/did you have in it?

Side note: I have a marineland penguin 200 filter, do you think that's enough?

Burntolive

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CPDs are great. I don't have them in my home tank but my boss has 20 in his massive tank at work. Much more lively and colorful than ZDs

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to the forum and glad you're here. I hope you enjoy it. Alison

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does this seem like good stock for a 40 gallon breeder?

I've got a 40 gallon planted breeder cycling right now, and I'm thinking of using this as the stock: That seems like a cool tank but at the same time I would kinda like a few slightly larger fish in there, I just am at a loss of what though. Does this seem like a good community setup? Also I have a penguin 200 filter, is that enough? AqAdvisor is saying I need more filtration.

superbutterfly12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Seems like it might be a but overcrowded but a good mix of colors and kinds of fish. Looks like you have a good size range of 1 to 4 inches as adults. Not sure anything bigger would be happy qith so many roommate's. Personally I would drop one of the bottoom swimmers for a top swimmer but i like to have lots of stuff in my tank so it doesn't seem like there would be enough floor to me.
I'd put half the badis and schooling fish in and then consider whther it looks crowded where they like to swim before adding more?
Large and peaceful with small fish seems difficult to find! Same problem here. One lfs emoyee told me to stay around the same size to prevent big fish eating your little fish. Rainbowfish are fairly large and colorful and peaceful is my understanding?

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would probably end up ordering whatever I couldn't find locally online. The smallest fish should be plenty large enough to not end up a snack. I could cut down the danios and tetras to around 12-15 of each. I would like to have a pretty active bottom, and I'd love to have the kuhlis but if need be I can drop em. They do make my water temp range very limited (I basically have to keep it at exactly 75f to keep everyone happy). So many choices! This is the biggest tank I've ever set up, all my others were so much easier! Haha

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have to say I would also delete one school of cories as that is a lot of bottom dwellers. You could do the bn pleco some pandas and some kuhli loaches. I would probably up the schools to 8 kuhlis and 7 Bandit. . They both do better with slightly bigger schools. The cpd and neons should be fine. I have never kept the other two types and have no idea of their behavior or how much time they spend on the bottom. Alison

superbutterfly12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jowenbra said:
I would probably end up ordering whatever I couldn't find locally online. The smallest fish should be plenty large enough to not end up a snack. I could cut down the danios and tetras to around 12-15 of each. I would like to have a pretty active bottom, and I'd love to have the kuhlis but if need be I can drop em. They do make my water temp range very limited (I basically have to keep it at exactly 75f to keep everyone happy). So many choices! This is the biggest tank I've ever set up, all my others were so much easier! Haha
I am also guilty of wanting to put everything! In my tank! Haha there really are so many pretty fish out there its really hard to choose!

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does this seem like good stock?

I've been tuning my stocking plan for my currently cycling 40 gallon breeder based on many of your guys advice and reddit. This is my current plan: This seems like a cool set up to me but would the rams be too aggressive for the tetras? Its says they get more aggressive if they start to breed, so would it be possible to keep 2 males in a 40 gallon? Thanks!
Side note: It's planted

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Personally, I think 3 shoals of bottom dwellers is too much. I think otos would be fine but I wouldn't do both loaches and corys. The loaches would be out-competed for food by the corys.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are you sure? I had some other people saying it would be fine- Idk though I already have some corys I was planning on moving over but I'd really like to have some loaches :/
What about the rams?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
IMO, yes the bottom would be too busy and I'd worry about the loaches not getting enough food.

What kind of rams and to replace what?

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bolivians and not to replace, they're in the original link.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oops, missed that. Yeah, that's way too many bottom dwellers. Personally if it were my tank, I would keep one large shoal and the rams.

I'd check to see what Anders247 or TexasDomer think.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One large shoal of tetras? Or just bottom dwellers and the rams?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I meant keep the rams and do either the loaches or corys.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
But the tetras would be cool? What about the otos?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You might be ok with two schools since they are mid-dwellers. Otos may be ok too. I'll let Anders247 and TexasDomer confirm though.

Jowenbra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I look forward to a response. Here's what I'm thinking now:
http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.php?N=&L=36&D=18&H=16&J=&UV=gUS&UL=inch&F=12:200909300144:,8:200909300114:,12:200909300118:,6:200909300153:,2:200909300031:

Also I have 5 corys in a 10 gallon which I've been told is too small, I've always wanted a betta sorority so maybe I'll get a 20 gallon and plop em in there with some bettas.

But at the same time I already have the corys and I'm sure theyd be really happy in a 40.... But I also really want kuhlis! D:
Is there really no way for them to coexist?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom