Stocking ideas for a 30 gallon tank?

Kathrine

I have a cycled 30 gallon tank (18 by 31 in) with a 100 watt heater. The substrate is this

There is currently no aquarium light, but I will get one. Any recommendations for a cheap one would be appreciated. I am thinking of getting planted beta fish community tank. What are your stocking recommendations? Also what plants do you recommend? Thank you!

Donovan Jones

What about a wild betta biotope? Get some that tolerate groups, add tons of botanicals and floaters, then about a month before adding fish add scuds, daphnia, and seed shrimp. They'll create a good food source and help the wild types adjust to tank life

Justin2526

Donovan Jones said:
What about a wild betta biotope? Get some that tolerate groups, add tons of botanicals and floaters, then about a month before adding fish add scuds, daphnia, and seed shrimp. They'll create a good food source and help the wild types adjust to tank life
Going to hijack this thread here for a second because this sounds just awesome. Do the shrimp, scud and daphnia just live and reproduce in the tank for a constant food supply, or would feeding still have to occur?

Donovan Jones

Justin2526 said:
Going to hijack this thread here for a second because this sounds just awesome. Do the shrimp, scud and daphnia just live and reproduce in the tank for a constant food supply, or would feeding still have to occur?
Depends on cover, number of fish, how stable the cultures are, etc. I'd have backups in case. However I did this with a paradise fish in a 20 gallon barrel just fine with no supplemental feeding.

Justin2526

Donovan Jones said:
Depends on cover, number of fish, how stable the cultures are, etc. I'd have backups in case. However I did this with a paradise fish in a 20 gallon barrel just fine with no supplemental feeding.
Sounds like an awesome idea. I may look into something like this for my next tank. Thanks for the ideas!

BigBeardDaHuZi

What an interesting idea

Top Bottom