Stocking Ideas for a 138G

1. thefuzzyaussie Member Member

Hey Guys,

I'm a serial mind-changer and I can't make up my mind for my 6ft 138g tank stocking.
    Dimensions are 183cm long x 48.5cm deep x 60.5cm tall. Filtration is either a FX6 or sump, still undecided.

I've gone through several phases: a full community tank, a rainbow tank, a discus tank, a tanganyikan tank, and mbuna tank or a 'monster' tank. Yet I still can't make up my mind...

SO

I wanna hear your guys suggestions. If you had this tank what would you want to stock it with? I'd love to hear any and all suggestions!

I look forward to hearing them all!!!

- Fuzzy

2. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Me personally ive always wanted one of two ideas for a massive tank. A single large crazy fish hanging out by himself, or a massive community of nano fish. Lol. Like schools of chili rasboras, celestial danios... tiny fish that school and do big groups od each. Plant the out of it ans enjoy the colors. Or just a large huge fish i can name George.

3. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Or, get like 1000 shrimp! Start a gigantic breeding colony!

4. cheese Member Member

a big fancy goldfish tank would be nice :) or you could get some piranhas! lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. thefuzzyaussie Member Member

I actually really like that idea. At least 1 school of like 150 chilli rasboras or something. Would be super cool .

Perhaps add that to the nano idea. I do loooove my cherry shrimp

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I saw a video on YouTube of a planted tank a similar size to yours with just a massive school of cardinal tetras, it looked amazing, wish I'd bookmarked it

7. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm a cichlid fan so I'd have to go with this this

4 Blood Parrots
    1 Chocolate Cichlid
    1 Rotkiel Severum
    2 Bolivian Rams/2 Apisto njisseni
    10-12 Boesemani Rainbow/10-12 Congo Tetra
    1 Snakeskin Gourami
    12-14 Zebra Loaches/2-3 Featherfin Catfish/1 Angelicus Syno

8. thefuzzyaussie Member Member

Please do link it if you find it! The large schools look absolutely gorgeous

Very interesting. Id never heard of the snakeskin gourami till now. That and the apisto are awesome fish :)

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

10. thefuzzyaussie Member Member

I do love that look of constant motion from the massive schools. So calming :) thanks for linking that Cora. Would that be your choice for a tank that size?

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

if I ever had a tank that big yes I'd do something like that though my aquascaping skills leave plenty to be desired, & course it would have to have corys as well ;)

12. Charles556 Member Member

I don't know if you've fallen in love with the cardinal tetra tank that Coradee suggested, as it truly is beautiful. Makes my cardinal school look like a joke :D

If you're still open to suggestions, here's mine: Rio Irinida Biotope Tank

I got the idea from 2 videos that I found on YouTube made by what I believe is a German aquascaping company. The centerpiece fish would be a school of 6-8 Altum Angels, while the rest of the stocking would include fish found in that same habitat. The tank would have a tan colored sand, a large piece of gnarly, rooty manzanita, large, unpolished river stones, and tannin stained water (optional).

x6-8 Pterophyllum altum
    x6-8 Mesonauta insignis
    x6-8 Satanoperca daemon
    x30+ Moenkhausia pittieri.
    (Obtained from Video)

Here are the links:

Part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duvFEPwabng

Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTAbuTYGk0M

13. scottishduck Member Member

How does 50 pygmy cories and 75 rummy nose tetras sound? Or something like that. Haha

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I like the large schools too. You could do a large school of a single species (cardinal/rummynose/harlequin/etc.) and a large school of a single species of cory?

15. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I've seen videos of those large schools of cories and they are just awesome!

Or...a huge school of KUHLI LOACHES!!! Sorry..my bias is showing

16. thefuzzyaussie Member Member

Altum angels are absolutely beautiful fish. I dont know if my tanks tall enough for adults though.

And not completelt sold on the large shoals, just like them a lot. So keep the ideas coming! I think a school of 50 pygmy cories would be great fin to watch as well. My cories arre currently one of my favorites :)

And thanks for the vids/info on this one. Love researching fish i havent heard of yet! :)

17. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I like the big schools, but i would want a few different species so there was some color variation. Cories, chili rasboras and something blue like celestial blue danios.

18. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

I'd do a school of denison barbs with a tank that big, perhaps with a mix of danios for more activity and colors and a fancy goldfish or two for eventual large centerpiece fish.

19. thefuzzyaussie Member Member

Yeh witchy, absolutely agreed. A huge group of pygmy cories would be so good to watch haha

And i was originally planning on some denison barbs in my community tank idea but apparently theres a real shortage atm where i am as the main breeder lost all his females to an infection so had to restock and start from scratch again :/

20. thefuzzyaussie Member Member

Would love to hear some more ideas guys!