Stocking Ideas For A 10 Gallon Cold Water Tank? Question 

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The water in the tank is about 66 F and the tank is cycled. I'm thinking about a school of white clouds, ghost shrimp and a dwarf crayfish, but I'm looking if there are any other cold water fish I could keep in a 10 gallon. Also, are there any good cold water plants (other than jungle val, moss balls, java fern/moss)?. The substrate is gravel, in case that limits what fish or plants I can keep.

Mr. Kgnao

Valued Member
Reaction score
CPDs, celestichthys erythromicron (which I think is being called an emerald rasbora, strange considering erythros is greek for red), some of the pseudomugil rainbows, lots and lots of killis, quite a few gobies. Also worth looking into native North American species. Clearly no real dearth of options, but it's hard to beat a white cloud.

I've never encountered a plant that I could grow in a tropical tank but not in cooler water, I'd just try whatever appeals to you and assume it'll probably be fine in the mid 60s.

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've heard some conflicting info about CPOs, so i'm curious if they're ok to keep with white clouds in a 10 gallon. The tank has plenty of hides for the crayfish. Also are CPOs plant safe?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes to both! I used keep a CPO in a planted tank with not only White Clouds, but with much smaller fish as well.

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is my current idea for stocking the tank

6 x White Cloud Minnows
2 x Killifish (of some sort not really sure yet)
1 x Dwarf Orange Crayfish

The water would be about 68 F, not completely sure about what kind of killifish, do you guys have any recommendations? Also is this overstocked or are any fish incompatible wit each other? The tank is fully cycled currently and has an aqueon 10 quietflow filter too.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Can we know the tank size? Tia!

M-Stokes

Valued Member
Reaction score

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
M-Stokes said:
Ah okie. So, I wouldn’t do any cloud minnows; they can actually grow to a decent size (1-1.5”) and are a robust schooling fish so a 10 gallon isn’t quite enough space for them. You could try a school of 6x Celestial Pearl Danios (aka Galaxy Rasboras).

Some killifish that would work would be a small group of Least Killifish (Heterandria formosa) or bluefin killifish ( Lucania goodei). however, I don’t suggest having bother killifish and a schooling fish, it’s easier to let one species sort of tlhave the tank to themselves without trying to compete too much for swimming space.

As for the crayfish, keep him well fed lest he tries to snack on a fish!

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you cannot heat the tank?

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
KinsKicks said:
Ah okie. So, I wouldn’t do any cloud minnows; they can actually grow to a decent size (1-1.5”) and are a robust schooling fish so a 10 gallon isn’t quite enough space for them. You could try a school of 6x Celestial Pearl Danios (aka Galaxy Rasboras).

Some killifish that would work would be a small group of Least Killifish (Heterandria formosa) or bluefin killifish ( Lucania goodei). however, I don’t suggest having bother killifish and a schooling fish, it’s easier to let one species sort of tlhave the tank to themselves without trying to compete too much for swimming space.

As for the crayfish, keep him well fed lest he tries to snack on a fish!

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you cannot heat the tank?
I can heat the tank I just want to try something new. I probably won't get any killifish. Thanks for the info

CleaHelena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mountain minnows, Celestial Pearl Danios, my kick azz guppy strain, and banded sunfish!

RyanC14 said:
I can heat the tank I just want to try something new. I probably won't get any killifish. Thanks for the info
I don’t use heaters on my tanks. I do have them, just don’t turn them on.

One more thought. I love Mad Toms. Used to have a few. They hide a lot, but are one of my favorite fish. I can catch them in a local river/creek by putting empty cans in the water over night.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom