stocking ideas for 6 foot long tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by boo_boo, Nov 25, 2012.

1. boo_booNew MemberMember

hey guys and thanks in advance for any feed back.
    I upgraded to six foot tank (x 18 x18 inch) a couple weeks ago moved my gravel and filter and ornaments over from my 4foot so plenty of bacteria in the new tank. i currently have a 5 inch green severum, 2silver dollars, 2sharks one a red tail and one a rainbow (i understand that these 2 won't get along when older and have another tank for one to go into when they become a problem). 6 cories (will probably add a couple more), 1 kribenis, 3 congo tetras and 3 pakistani (yoyo) loaches and a bristlnose. i also have a festivum jusy under 6 inchs but i don't know if i'll return him to the tank coz he constantly chases the severum and i would really like a peaceful tank. any suggestions on what else to add nothing too aggressive please.

2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

i hate to suggest this and it not work but... festivum need more of there own kind. i think there is a good chance if you add 3 or 5 more of them he would stop messing with your severum. either get more or return him.

also you will need more tetras, yoyo loaches and silver dollars. you will need 6 of each at least. so here is your final stock.

1 severum
    6 festivum
    6 silver dollars
    1 shark, asap
    6 congo tetras
    6 yoyos
    1 krib maybe anther for a pair if you want
    6 corys
    1 bn pleco

that is pretty stocked unless you want to remove something. also make sure you have lots of filtration. i have a fluval fx5, jbj reaction canister filter and a aquaclear 110 on my 125 gallon.

3. OP
    OP
    b

boo_booNew MemberMember

thanks. i read that about the festivum the other day. all I read anyone saying was that festivums were peacefull and very good tank mates for severums. would the older festivum accept small festivums coz the ones at my lfs only got ones about 1 1/2 inch (max). was planing on adding more tetras and couple more silver dollars and a couple more loaches (had 5 but 2 died, have had them 4 quite a few years)

4. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

yeah there suppose to be fine together thats why i figured more festivums would more then likely fix the problem.

if you have had the loaches together with no problems i guess you could leave them at that number but my 7 seem to enjoy each others company. i was just worried sometimes they a can fight and a pecking order will help. but bigger tanks can solve a lot of aggression issues.

5. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Do not wait until the sharks become a problem. They can literally turn overnight, leaving you no chance to react.

I also agree that you have several incomplete schools and that needs fixed.

6. OP
    OP
    b

boo_booNew MemberMember

ok can put one shark in with my african cichlids?? if i up thenumber in my schooling fish (which i was gunna do). and re-home the festivum (got someone that will take him). could i add another severum (gold)? the ones at the lfs are only 1 1/2 inch max. or a chocolate cichlid if i can find one

7. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Chocolates get pretty huge, so I don't know.

I personally think the shark could be kept with the african cichlids, but they do have entirely different hardness and pH preferences, so that's up for debate.

8. KaereyNew MemberMember

Roseline Shark (Denisonii Barb, Red Torpedo Barb)!!!!

Peaceful, highly active, would LOVE the long lengths to go chasing after each other. The more the better. Could get a nice size school in there, and they would look great when they get to their 6" adult size.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice